08 Silverado - Overfill or dipstick issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I feel really daft after reading this thread. Friend of mine has a '07 Tahoe Z71, which I posted earlier about. We checked the oil level on it this morning, and it was WAY over the 5th dot on the dipstick. I reckoned the dealer overfilled the recommended capacity, which is common practice at some dealers here, and we were planning to drain 500 ml tomorrow.

Just to confirm, what is the 5.3L engine's slump exact capacity in litres? 5.5?

The following approximate capacities are given in English and metric conversions. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 6-12 for more information.

Engine Oil with Filter 6.0 qt† 5.7 L†

†Oil filter should be changed at every oil change.

Cheers, Mike!
55.gif

I know everyone has checked and this isn't the problem, but I had a car once that showed too much oil after an oil and filter change and I discovered the filter was bad and the oil was bypassing/not filling the filter. Changed the filter and the level was correct. i also had a 350 CID Olds that always showed too much oil. Dealer decided that probably the wrong dipstick tube was used. I never changed it.

its a chevy what do you expect. they had to use used dipsticks because they didnt get enough bailout money
grin2.gif
j/k

Last edited:
I'm just glad that my motorhome's 454 Chevy V8 Torque Monster has never had this problem. I pour in the specified amount of oil and it is correct on the stick. Never had a problem with that. I did have to drill tiny holes in the safe range of the stick though because it was very difficult to read. With the holes it is great.

Of course I'm running Maxlife in her and that may explain why everything is working out so well.
grin2.gif

Hondaman,.... I had the same problem on my 2008 silverado, with an oil, and filter change, using recommended filter, I dumped my 6 quarts of PP5w30 in her and was surprised how I was over the fill line.

Why is everybody assuming the fill amount is wrong?

Incorrect dipsticks and tubes have been around for ages.

Ford had a TSB out in the 90's with regards to this.

The fix:
Do a complete oil change.
Fill with specificed amount of oil.
Check oil.
If oil level is above the cross hatch/full mark, take a hacksaw and make a new line on the dipstick to indicate proper fill level.

Alex.

OK, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 all use the same oil pans and have the same capacity, 6 quarts. In 2004 the filter was PF44, that was changed to PF46 in 2005. These filters are interchangable. Starting in 2007, for GMT800 and the new model GMT900 the filter went to PF48. The threads were changed and older filters will not fit. You would have to overfill the generation 3, 4, 5 engines 2 to 3 quarts the way the windage tray is designed to began to hurt any thing. The GM engineers say 6 quarts. Thats what it takes.
Now all dip sticks are not created equal as are dip stick tubes.

Just follow the owners manual and sleep well tonight.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
When I have these moments, I try and check my blood sugar.
grin2.gif

Order a new dipstick. They aren't expensive.

Maybe the tube is the wrong one for the dipstick (if it has a tube).

Gary is not too far off here. We build the GMT900 SUV's at my plant, which is mechanically the same as your GMT900 Pickup. There are 3 different transmission fill tubes and dipstick combinations. Depends on the engine, (i.e 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2). Likewise, even though the engines share over 90% of the external parts - there are (I believe-but will have to check) 2 different engine oil dipsticks and tube assemblys. If you are over the full mark the same distance as is between add and full, than you are a qt high. My 6.0 Sierra Denali takes 5.5 qts for a perfect fill. You may have a wrong dipstick, which would be covered under yuor warranty. Other wise, you could just put a mark on the stick after you put 5.5 qts in it.....but I'd rather not do that.

I do not see what the problem is, just pour it the amount the manual says and forget about it. My 2.3l engine calls for 4.5 quarts and I have always put it 5 quarts, I don't want an extra 1/2 quart of oil laying around.

I thought I was the only one that saw it this way. I bought an '06 Silverado work truck, V6 4.3, and the oil was above the full mark, approx. 1/2 qt. When I first changed if after 3K I put in what the book called for, and it showed about 1/2 qt. overfull. Either the dipstick is not exactly correct, or the book is wrong on how much oil to put in it. At least I know it is not my imagination anymore.

Not to pick on Chevy, but my '04 Cavalier manual states the crankcase capacity is 4 quarts. The dealer said 4.5. The various boards I go to said 5. Chevy's new online spec sheet says the ecotec takes 5 quarts. (All these are with a filter change). It seems it took Chevy about 1.5 years to settle on a final crankcase capacity. Also, the Cavalier came way overfilled from the factory.

Many of those engine platforms have TSBs out that say you may safely add that extra half quart to a 4 qt crankcase. I have a couple friends at dealerships who have shown me them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back