Lifted trucks and headlights! (a brief rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
so how are the lowered vehicles such a problem?

I should have said that lowered vehicles are a problem with raised vehicles, bad combination. I've seen too many accidents wherethe car plows right under the back of the truck, or the truck crushes the back of the car.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
The question is "HOW?"

Every repair shop should have one. American shop owners and consumers can't be bothered. Too much effort is required.

hella-1.jpg

hella2.jpg

Much as I hate to give Loozyana props for anything, before Katrina the brake tag inspection stations had one of those, and checked your headlight alignment. Since the Big Blow, however, the official stations are mostly gone, replaced by service stations under contract. As you say, they can't be bothered with such a piece of equipment.

But they check my window tinting with the eagerness of squirrels hunting up a nut.

I passed a state inspection on a new-to-me F150 with the 9004 bulb half falling out of the socket. They just cared that it lit up, somehow. I noticed it immediately when dusk fell.

DOT has headlight standards that generously "grow" as one moves to 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Are lifted trucks different than heavy duty semis and medium duty trucks ? The dumbest are the SUVs that ride higher but have less ground clearance than a Taurus due to the suspension.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
Are lifted trucks different than heavy duty semis and medium duty trucks ? The dumbest are the SUVs that ride higher but have less ground clearance than a Taurus due to the suspension.

It appears that most states subscribe to between 24" and 54" on altered height vehicles. Some start at 22".

Bumper heights appear to be more restrictive.

As SEMA sees it.

Those headlight aiming macines were the most tangible part of Texas inspections when I was growing up, but I don't think I have seen one for years now.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Those headlight aiming macines were the most tangible part of Texas inspections when I was growing up, but I don't think I have seen one for years now.

These aiming devices don't make a lot of sense with older US headlights, but they are essential (although it's possible to set the lights properly without) to properly aim Euro lights or modern ECE/DOT hybrid lights, which have more complex beam patterns than DOT headlights. The optical device projects the beam pattern that is reduced in size on an internal screen with grid, via which headlight adjustment can be performed very accurately and precisely in both axes. It's basically like driving the car up to a marked wall at a given distance, only much more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back