VOA Brad Penn 1 10W 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a new VOA for Brad Penn 1 10W 30. Sample came from a unopened new case just purchased 03/12/2009.

I also have a UOA sent in from a newly built motor that has seen dyno time, 30 miles on the street, and some drag strip time. I will post that in the UOA section.

blackstoneVOABP.jpg

-Chris

Is this the Brad Penn green 'racing oil', or just 'regular' Brad Penn oil? IF its the racing oil, its missing Z and P big time. If its the regular dion, it has a pretty decent add-pack - lots of detergent there.

I was disspointed, this IS the Brad Penn 1 Racing 10W/30. Partial Syn.
Yes, it is green.

-Chris

Last edited:
I don't personally. I have found that BP VOAs and UOAs are hard to find.

I started using it strictly off of racer's testimonies. It's working great and has protected bearings even when power pushed my girdle off the block. Lost enough oil pressure during a 10 second run to bleed down lifters. No bearing damage.

But these numbers, if correct, surprise me. I was expecting much higher z and p. Could be the numbers are a little off...but man they are low.

-Chris

If that indeed is their racing oil, and IF those numbers are correct, I would start using Rotella T or Delo 400 or Schaeffer's or Valvoline VR1 or anything else with some decent zinc and phos numbers.

At $$4.75/qt I am very disappointed. I will probably use the rest of this case and switch to Rotella T. I use Rotella in all the Hi HP cars that are built in my shop. I just thought BP was better than it looks like it really is.

-Chris

Chris, did you send that to BP? From my experiences with them, their customer service is very good. I would send that VOA to them and ask, "what's the deal here?".

I don't know, I mean those numbers are very, very weak. Might as well be any regular oil off the shelf... sure doesn't seem to be the Kendal is supposedly replaced?

They carry a real good rep in the racing circuit around here. I know they use a good base stock. This add pack does seem "off"

I have some of the Break in oil as well. I may add 1 qt to the mix. That would definitely help. Thanks for the OA on that!

That OA is olmost 2 yrs old though, wonder if it is still valid?

-Chris

Last edited:
So as suggested I contaced BP via their website contact page with a link to the VOA sheet.

A Very nice guy from BP contacted me within 4 hours of sending the info. Pretty quick in my book.

He informed me that the VOA is exactly what the OLD formulation was and that I must have bought old stock. He never heard of the place I get it from and said they probably get it from a place that gets it from the distributor and that it must be old stock. I gave him the codes on the box/bottles for him to research.

Without batting an eye he tells me "I am sending you 2 cases of the new formulation, I will have it shipped today."

Wholly [censored]. Now THAT is customer service.

I will have the new batch tested and report back.

-Chris

That is the kind of customer service I was refering to. However, PLEASE do a VOA on the 'newer' stuff.

Anywho, I've got 4 cases of BP sitting in my shop so VERY interested to say the least.

Man, I hope that stuff is legit because I've got it in every SBC I own and they all have solid flats in them.

Last edited:
That is good customer service, but I think he's blowing smoke on the whole "old formulation" deal. An "old" formulation of Penn-Grade 1 should have just as much ZDDP as any "new" formulation, since high levels of ZDDP have always been the selling point for "The Green Oil."

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Kudos to BP...ya gotta love how the smaller Co.s do business.

Hey Mark, I've got an old case of Schaeffer's. Will you send me a new case of the 7000 series?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Kudos to BP...ya gotta love how the smaller Co.s do business.

Hey Mark, I've got an old case of Schaeffer's. Will you send me a new case of the 7000 series?
grin2.gif

No. Absolutely not. You've got lawnmowers,snowblowers,weedeaters,neighbors junkers...use it up by george.
grin2.gif

Although there is no TBN/TAN (would have been nice), this looks like an outstanding PCMO oil. I know racers are looking for more ZDDP, but I think my stock S2000 would love this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back