It's tire time! Recommend for Taurus and Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't have timed this any better.
smirk2.gif
Both cars are due for tires.

1. 2002 Ford Taurus. Currently have 4 year old TripleTreads that are developing hairline cracks in the sidewall. They are also almost down to the wear bars. I hate these tires. They were great to start but soon turned into noisy, hard-to-balance beasts. I also hated the OEM Continentals. Car is my wife's daily driver taking the girls to school. Car sees Michigan winters so inclement weather traction is #1 priority in my book.

2. 2007 Mazda 3. OEM Toyo Proxes are about to wear out after 33,000 and 2 and a half years. Not impressed with the wear or snow traction on these tires. I drive like a Grandpa so car mileage is around 34-38 mpg. I drive 56 miles each way to work so a low rolling resistance tire is important, as well as some wet/snow traction.

What tires would you recommend for each car considering their usage patterns?

What size are the 3's tires? If they are the same as my Protege5 then you are stuck with V rated tires that will always wear out quickly, toyos being some of the better tires available in that size. I changed to a 205/55 tire to so I could buy a "touring" tire and it seems to be lasting longer.

Not true I have v rated OEM Michelins on my 2007 Honda Accord and they have over 66,000 on them with 5/32nds left...They are the MXV4 tire and it is V rated....

Mazda has 205/55-16.

I should clarify that I realize each car will probably have a different tire recommendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Mazda has 205/55-16.

I should clarify that I realize each car will probably have a different tire recommendation.

That's good, you'll have a much wider selection than my OEM 195/50-16

Check out the BFG Traction T/A for the Mazda3. Good wear, great wet traction, and they're competent in snow. If you want to go a step beyond that, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is an excellent tire.

Michigan?

That would depend on the ride.

If your your wife doesn't mind a stiffer ride, try the Altramax (sp)RTs...they seem to handle the crazy weather around here pretty well...

for the 3 Cooper CS4s....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back