Oil for Direct Injection Intake Valve Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crankcase ventilation, my friend, crankcase ventilation.

Those are oil deposits on an engine with only 3700 miles on the clock, using Audi factory oil and then Castrol Edge with Audi 504 approval.

IMG_2200.jpg

I think all you can do if you have one of these is plan to fog the intake every 15/30/60,000 miles. I'm not really sure what else you could do to clean that up. I'd almost wait for a TSB at some point, there have to be dealer-sold warranties up to 100,000 miles on some of these.

It'll be interesting to see how this is designed around. It's not hard to not have an EGR system, a lot of Toyotas don't. It's probably not that hard to not have a PCV and figure out something else to do there. Or, like Lexus DI where there is DI in every cylinder, but also one common port injector in the intake manifold. Or....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnakeOil
Just use an intake fogger, change the oil afterward and call it a day.

How is an oil supposed to help the "intake valves". Unless there is something I'm overlooking, there is no oil in the intake tract.

It's the light compounds that are evaporating in the crankcase, being sucked into the PCV system and condensing again on the cooler intake tract parts like port walls and valves. These light compounds are from two problems: cheap unsuitable oil and fuel dilution who's problems can be exacerbated by cheap unsuitable oil. I shall refrain from using the word "cheap" because some of this "cheap, unsuitable oil" is in fact quite expensive, offering buyers with a false sense of reality.

High capacity PCV systems are manditory on these engines though. If a Camry sludger 4cylinder can puke it's guts from light duty and inadequate PCV ventilation, imagine how much sooner a highly loaded DI engine would sludge up and die without adequate ventilation.

Just use an intake fogger, change the oil afterward and call it a day.

How is an oil supposed to help the "intake valves". Unless there is something I'm overlooking, there is no oil in the intake tract.

+1 was wondering this. I hear this oil also keeps your air filter clean?

Shell (nitrogen enriched) and BP (invigorate) have new gasoline coming out to help with DI engine deposits.

If you want to get rid of the problem you go to root cause..

Root cause here is inadequate PCV system, allowing oil vapors to get into intake and create deposits on intake valves.

Solution?

Get rid of PCV system, and went your crankcase to the atmosphere!

It is simple and it works great
thumbsup2.gif

breather_system_modified.jpg

I have a catch can on all my cars so....

grin2.gif

All that emissions stuff is [censored].

okay,i have to ask this..how do you hook up a catch can?? does it have to be emptied every so often?

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom

i tried it a few years back, got tired of smelling a burned oil smell every time i stopped the car so hooked the PCV back up, not to mention the way PCV works is it pulls the vapors into the intake. passive venting has no such pull

Root cause here is inadequate PCV system, allowing oil vapors to get into intake and create deposits on intake valves.

Solution?

thumbsup2.gif

Isn't ignorance wonderful?

Let's see, before positive crankcase ventilation there were road draft tubes that provided crankcase ventilation above about 25 mph. Engine wear dropped dramatically after PCV systems became common.

Now you want to step so far backward that you don't even use a road draft tube?

Originally Posted By: Big Jim

Solution?

thumbsup2.gif

Isn't ignorance wonderful?

Let's see, before positive crankcase ventilation there were road draft tubes that provided crankcase ventilation above about 25 mph. Engine wear dropped dramatically after PCV systems became common.

Now you want to step so far backward that you don't even use a road draft tube?

I take that any time over intake valve deposits and burning oil vapor in your combustion chamber...

Btw I have a tube
grin2.gif
that runs along transmission and down to bottom of the underbody to get the benefit of the drift and to prevent wonderful odors getting into car.

I have run the car like that for over 2 years now, done 3 UOA's and all came back with flying colors:

uoa_2009_01-133500.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Shell (nitrogen enriched) and BP (invigorate) have new gasoline coming out to help with DI engine deposits.

I emailed Shell *Canada* and was told this new formulation was only being introduced in USA.

Gas can't help, because in a DI engine the gas doesn't travel past the intake valves.

You could fill your tank with Techron. None of it would ever hit the intake valve, nothing would get cleaned.

Here's yet another example of an RS4 engine with 19000 miles on the engine, dealer service in the UK, and service done with superior European oils.

DSCN3439.jpg

DSCN3441.jpg

That's disgusting. Do you know what oil(s)/OCIs he used? Does OCI have a significant effect?

Have you seen any photos of RS4 intake valves that are not filthy? I wonder if any oil/OCI/gasoline type/gas additive combination can keep it reasonably clean.

I cringe at the thought that BMW 135i & 335i IV deposits could be similar to RS4 IV deposits. I need to find out.

shocked2.gif
@those deposits!

Originally Posted By: bepperb

It'll be interesting to see how this is designed around. It's not hard to not have an EGR system, a lot of Toyotas don't. It's probably not that hard to not have a PCV and figure out something else to do there. Or, like Lexus DI where there is DI in every cylinder, but also one common port injector in the intake manifold. Or....

Yup, something tells me the Toyota engineers knew this would happen, and I understand now why they opted to combine DI with standard port injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back