Snow thrower recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a snow thrower for clearing residential driveways and side walk on a commercial basis. No electric power shovel or gas powered single stage equivalents - I see my neighbor struggle with theirs every year no thanks. For comparison my dad has an older Areins 2+2 pseudo stage 2 with a 3.5 HP engine and it is driven forward by riveted rubber treads riveted onto the augers. Actually works fairly well for light snow. It was the unit to own back in 80's.

So for my needs to be stout enough to throw the snow reasonably far, can handle heavy wet snow yet narrow enough and portable enough to be easily transported through gates and on an off my truck.

Thus far I'm lean towards the Troy Bilt Strom 1130 30" Deluxe Two-Stage Snowthrower

Any input appreciated.

I miss the old smiley selection
spankme2.gif

Toro is one of the better brands, IMHO.
Does the 11 in 1130 mean 11 h.p.?
If doing commercial snow removal, power is essential.
A headlight is a good option. I haven't heard of anybody
with one of those tracked units so I can't comment on them.

That TroyBilt is actually made by MTD. Im not going to say its junk, but for a lot of use (commercial) it might not last too long.

Better off looking at something like Toro, Ariens or Simplicity.

-Chris

I personally would not purchase a snow thrower with a flat head/side valve engine bigger than 8hp. At that size in this application, they are loud, harsh, hard to start when hot and massive gas hogs. Do yourself a favor and get one with an OHV Tecumseh or Briggs engine. Smooth, much more efficient and easier to start. My 8yr/old Yardman with a 7hp Tecumseh OHV throws snow as far as a 9-10hp side-valve, while using half the gasoline.

A Toro 8hp or an Ariens 9hp would-I think-be powerful enough and more easily transported than an 1130, and better suited to commercial work than a Troy-Bilt.

I looked at the Troy-Bilt 1130 at Lowes today. The advantage of this unit is the 30 day return policy.
LOL.gif
When compared to the Areins build quality - it seemed to really pale. The input on getting an OHV valve engine point well taken.

Will look at the Areins again tommorow
smile.gif

Crusader:

Toro, Ariens (particularly Ariens Pro) and Simplicity are far better machines than any of the brands that are MTDs. The MTDs can get the job done, and do cost less, but won't last as long. If you're shopping for a great piece of gear, stick with the first three brands.

There are forums where people like to just talk about snowthrowers. I'd take a look there for some advice and opinions too.

Try http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Simplicity is definitely tops in the heavy frame department. I know I hemmed and hawed over a new Simplicity before I bought the Yardman. Simplicity is the only heavy contender left as far as I know. Honda would be next, followed by Ariens Pro then Toro.

Joel

Toro makes great lawn equipment but their snow removal gear doesn't fare that well up here. The Simplicity is good and stout, but up here dealers are rare and in IDAHO there is probably 2 in the whole state ( not judgeing... just guessing)?? I've had ARIENS for decades and they are straight forward easy to use and work on... if you go used. For your use, I would go for the PRO line.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I personally would not purchase a snow thrower with a flat head/side valve engine bigger than 8hp. At that size in this application, they are loud, harsh, hard to start when hot and massive gas hogs. Do yourself a favor and get one with an OHV Tecumseh or Briggs engine. Smooth, much more efficient and easier to start. My 8yr/old Yardman with a 7hp Tecumseh OHV throws snow as far as a 9-10hp side-valve, while using half the gasoline.

That's a major reason I went with the 11hp Ariens myself.

I have about a 5YO MTD 24* 2 stage and absolutely love it. It has the L head 5HP Snow King and throughout all of Ohios winters it has yet let me down. Fired up on the first pull and blows like crazy.

Ive got a 11 hp Husavarna(MTD) I got it for half price, but I really wish that I would have spent the money and got a toro or Ariens. The MTD really doesn't throw snow that far, and I really don't like the way the shoot controls work. It is very hard to control the direction of the snow stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back