Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40, 380 hrs in JD4650

Status
Not open for further replies.
The equipment is a John Deere 4650 tractor with the 466cid engine. The unit is almost 25 yrs old, approximately 7000 hours on the engine since last overhauled. The tractor was used daily all winter, it gets started every day in an unheated building with temperatures as low as -20F. Prior to running Schaeffer's this tractor primarily used Cenpeco 15w40 at 200 hour OCI's, no prior UOA data.

380 hours on the Supreme 9000 5w40, 1 quart added during the OCI. JD oil filter used for the entire OCI. Analysis by Schaeffer's, they recommended increasing the drain interval to 480 hours.

copper 2
iron 30
chrom 1
alum 6
lead 6
moly 329
phos 1237
zinc 1381
mag 806
calcium 1924
sodium 8
potassium 0
silicon 7
visc. 12.45
sulfur 6
oxidation 8
nitration 17
soot .1
Antifreeze,H2O, & Fuel all zero.

nice control of the soft metals, especially given very cold starts. Fe is high (disproportionately?) but it isnt anything near alarming.

Looks pretty good. Especially for a first run the thinning may be a one time thing, even so the numbers held up very well and obviously the lab agrees.

Zinc and phos look like CI4+. They make up for the calcium numbers with the use of 860 ppm of mag.

Wanted to add that I think this is a very good product, but I'm a bigger fan of their 7000 series oils. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RWEST
Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Calcium looks a little low for CI4+.

I was looking at the zinc/phos numbers..

I know you were.
wink.gif

We're running the CJ-4 400hrs in our Kubotas.From May-Oct. they'll run 6 days a week 12-16hrs a day. The internals are spotless. Perhaps we could extend the drains but we stop there. No bypass filters and no makeup oil... All the nay-sayers who thought the CJ-4 would not hold up are once again guilty of jumping the gun. The 9000 series is still the best value out there. Lord knows we tried most out there. It's not the only long-drain oil out there but it's a value that's hard to beat if you take the time to do a cost-analysis to see what it is actually costing you to run an oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back