Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun I went on the internet and checked out a lot of MSDSs on various gun oils. You would be surprised what is in a lot of this stuff!

Just for an example, I found that Birchwood Casey 'synthetic' gun oil with PTFE worked pretty well in my gun. According to the MSDS report I came across, it has a lot of naptha in it, some synthetic oil, and of course PTFE. So is that a synthetic gun oil? Maybe the naptha is intended for cleaning.

I think I am going to stick to the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner, and the Hoppes Elite gun oil. The Hoppes Elite gun oil is mostly conventional oil, some synthetic oil, and a chemical additive to reduce wear.

I could not find a MSDS on Breakfree although I think somebody here posted something about what is in the stuff a while back.

If Hoppes Elite gun oil does well enough I will stick to it. Otherwise I guess I will use Hoppes Elite gun cleaner (on the bore of the barrel) and Breakfree to lube my gun.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Just for fun I went on the internet and checked out a lot of MSDSs on various gun oils.

Your ISP knows where you've really been.
wink.gif

I am really starting to think Hoppes is pretty good stuff myself. At least they make some effort to come out with products that are not dangerous to the gun users but clean well and lubricate decently with real oil and not some kind of weird stuff.

I want to be able to get my guns clean and lubricated well without harming myself in the process. Personally I would rather not get cancer from some weird stuff; I would prefer for the gun to wear out instead. I can always buy a new gun.

Hoppes No. 9 is a solvent of course and has some hazards involved in its use-but it is mild compared to some of this stuff. Just get a scent of some of this stuff and you will understand. Especially when somebody uses something like carb cleaner on a gun. The new Hoppes Elite gun cleaner is very safe and can be used indoors.

The old Hoppes gun oil is of course just a lubricating oil. But at least it does not contain naptha or some other stuff like that. And I don't know how the new Hoppes Elite gun oil compares with other gun oils when it comes to lubrication but Hoppes Elite is a legit gun oil. It is OIL-conventional and some synthetic and a chemical additive to reduce wear. No silly PTFE and no dangerous clorinated hydrocarbons.

I have never been a big believer in CLPs that are supposed to clean, lubricate, and protect all with one product. For example, Breakfree is a CLP and is a good lube and protects from corrosion, but probably is not the best cleaner.

I think the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner is about as good a product for cleaning the bore as a person is going to find. You might need something else for cleaning out copper buildup especially in a rifle bore. But the Hoppes Elite is a good cleaner and safe. Good enough for me.

Either Hoppes Elite gun oil or Breakfree would fill the lubrication needs. I know Breakfree works good in my Glock and I am going to give Hoppes Elite gun oil a good tryout. If the Hoppes Elite gun oil does well enough I will use it. It is a lubricating oil with a chemical additive-not some kind of weird stuff with strange chemicals that might affect a person's health.

breakfree clp msds ingredients:

Polyalphaolefin synthetic oil 53.4%
Synthetic oils, esters & other ingredients 23.4%
2 Ethyl Hexyl Acetate 15.1%
Dibasic Ester #1 5.2%
Carbon Dioxide 2.9%

Looks like lots of synthetics and esters.

Quote:
It is OIL-conventional and some synthetic and a chemical additive to reduce wear. No silly PTFE and no dangerous clorinated hydrocarbons.

The AW could very well be (probably) ZDDP or other such metallic add that is not the most people friendly as well. Especially after being subjected to heat.

What MSDS' don't tell you is often the most interesting.

Do a VOA on it and then you will have some idea with what you are dealing.

Well, the Breakfree does not look bad. I have searched a lot of years for a good gun oil that protected the gun well and did not do harm to a person when you were cleaning and lubricating your gun.

I have been happy with gun cleaners. I used Hoppes No. 9 for a lot of years and the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner(which I think is the same as the MPro7 and S&W) works very well and you can even clean indoors. Maybe with the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner you would sometimes have to use a copper cleaner, especially with a rifle bore.

But I have been unhappy with gun oils. I even started using grease for a while, I was so unhappy with gun oils. I just want a lube that works and does not give you cancer.

When I was in NAPA getting an oil filter for my car today by accident I noticed that they had a Lucas gun oil. It was at the counter and I just happened to look that way. In was inexpensive so I bought some and I will test Hoppes Elite gun oil and the Lucas. The Lucas is an oil with additives. It seems somewhat thicker than the Hoppes Elite gun oil or the Breakfree.

If I am unhappy with those 2 then I will just use Breakfree (with Hoppes Elite gun cleaner for the bore). The Breakfree works well enough with my Glock although Breakfree DID NOT work well with my SIG.

PTFE as an engine or transmission treatment isn't "liked", its uses for other applications are okay. From what I have gathered PTFE doesn't have properties that make it a beneficial lubricant additive. Graphite and Moly (more common additives) do posses positive properties when used on metal.

PTFE has a tendency to settle out of solution which makes it pretty much useless when in a sump.

All that makes perfect sense , but PTFE makes an excellent grease thickener .

I'm thinking as a grease thickener it might be preferable to clay ( bentonite/hectorite etc. ) and might have less tendency to thicken when cold than lithium based grease .

Just a question ...

In my unprofessional understanding, I think you are correct.

I think PTFE might do something in grease because the content is higher and is held in place by the grease. I've never seen anything that says it does anything in an oil.

I'd rather have other additives rather than PTFE.

My understanding is also unprofessional .

I was just thinking as grease thickeners go PTFE might be more desirable than clay ( bentonite , hectorite , etc. ) or lithium soap ( thickens excessively when cold ).

My take from reading stuff written by those who know far more than I ever will about the subject is that PTFE offers no real benefit as an additive in grease , but makes a good thickener .

Basically what I am thinking is a good synth oil with AW/EP adds
and just enough PTFE to keep it from running away ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back