Who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I just spoke to a Ken from Warren and he told me that they are indeed the manufactuer of Super Tech Full Syn 10w-30 for Walmart.

lucerne06,

Could you ask if this applies to the 5w30 synthetic as well?

I just got back from my WM and every bottle of ST in the store was WPP other than the dino 5w30. it was in a bottle shaped like the Mobil products.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
I just spoke to a Ken from Warren and he told me that they are indeed the manufactuer of Super Tech Full Syn 10w-30 for Walmart. The oil for the east coast walmarts are blended at their Pittsburg.Pa. plant and shipped from that location, all other west of the mississipi will come from the california plant. fullsynthetic.pdf (598KB)est . He sent me the UOA of Mag 1 oil, which he said is basically the same and that was all he could give me.

Which is pretty much what was found out a few years ago, that ST synth (not dino nor blend) was "pretty much" or "the" same as Mag-1.

So nothing has changed....

Well, if they blend it, they buy the base stocks from someone and whatever additive package they are using from the additive supplier.

Now I will give you a scenario. Let's just say they buy their base stock from Shell Oil, and their additive package from Lubrizoil, mix the two together. You have a synthetic no where close in anyway shape or form to Pennzoil Platinum as some have stated.

I'm still waiting for the other fellow on here to provide the contact name at the "Royal Dutch Shell Tech Dept".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, if they blend it, they buy the base stocks from someone and whatever additive package they are using from the additive supplier.

Now I will give you a scenario. Let's just say they buy their base stock from Shell Oil, and their additive package from Lubrizoil, mix the two together. You have a synthetic no where close in anyway shape or form to Pennzoil Platinum as some have stated.

I'm still waiting for the other fellow on her to provide the contact name at the "Royal Dutch Shell Tech Dept".

Another possibility is that Shell provides the base stock and tells them what to put in for additives that they purchase themselves. It doesn't appear that WPP has the technical expertise or R&D to make a good synthetic on their own without some help. So in this scenario, it could be close, which may be why the Shell Tech person said what he did (if he said it).

I don't think you are going to find out who said that, because obviously he shouldn't have disclosed that even if it were true.

Shell as well as Mobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Petro Canada, and a few other sell base stocks to all of the smaller speciality oil companies or blenders. None of them tell the blender what additives to put in these base stocks. The additive companies tell the blenders what additives to put in these base stocks. It's what's called a canned additive package. I will use Lubrizoil again for an example since they are one of the largest. Said blender calls up Lubrizoil and says I have this Group II or III base stock from XYZ oil company and the VIS on the base stock is ***. I need an additive package to blend up some xW-30 oil. Lubrizoil then sells them a premixed additive to accomplish this.

Now since everyone or some want to believe that Shell is selling bulk Platinum to be packaged for Wal Mart, I will tell you now that is just not happening.

1. Platinum is Shell's premium proprietary synthetic motor oil. The base stock is not just any old Group III but Shell's XHVI Group III base stock. There is no canned additive package in it. It has additives from three different additive companies, and none of them or Lubrizoil.

2. Platinum is only packaged by Shell at two Shell packaging plants. No one else in this country packages it for them and they do not sell it in bulk for any other oil brand or label.

And finally, if someone is going to make statements or claims, please get them correct. There is no such place in the United States of America as the "Royal Dutch Shell Tech Department".

Last edited:
I was told by Tech Support at Royal Dutch Shell Corporation, (the makers of Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Rotella engine lubricants) that the Walmart brand of full synthetic oil (that is bottled by Warren Packaging Co. for Walmart), is supplied to Warren by Royal Dutch Shell, and is virtually "identical" to Pennzoil Platinum

I do know that they smell nearly identical, but the UOA and VOA's say different.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I do know that they smell nearly identical, but the UOA and VOA's say different.

Looks like we'll need to taste it to make sure.
10.gif

I called Warren a few years ago after the Mobil type packaging changed. I could not get them to admit anything other than they had a quality product. Pennzoil did manufacture WM ST (Dino) but that was SK oil!

Here is my reply from Ken at WPP.

"From several different sources was all they would say; the exact ingredient recipe is something we present to Walmart and they agreed upon".

It doesn't matter who actually makes it, but the product is great, it works, and (until lately) it was way cheaper.

Now everyone here ran UOA on it, confirmed it was great, it is now Wally Marts number one seller, and now CEO of Wally Mart wants one of them bonuses for himself - he was just looking at a new yacht, and wants a 25,000 square foot extension to his mansion, to be used as a private movie viewing room.

So since it is just as good as any of the other name brands, but there is no advertising budget, the profit on it is just as high
or higher than any name brand. like GWB said "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

Originally Posted By: scoobie
It doesn't matter who actually makes it, but the product is great, it works, and (until lately) it was way cheaper.

Now everyone here ran UOA on it, confirmed it was great, it is now Wally Marts number one seller, and now CEO of Wally Mart wants one of them bonuses for himself - he was just looking at a new yacht, and wants a 25,000 square foot extension to his mansion, to be used as a private movie viewing room.

So since it is just as good as any of the other name brands, but there is no advertising budget, the profit on it is just as high
or higher than any name brand. like GWB said "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

Yep, same as the store brand items in almost every grocery store in the country. And if one big name brand won't make it for them, another one will.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
So since it is just as good as any of the other name brands...

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Yep, same as the store brand items in almost every grocery store in the country. And if one big name brand won't make it for them, another one will.

Guys, I've used ST oils for a long time and while they are pretty good, I wouldn't put their syn in the same league as PP, Synpower, Syntec, or M1. The ST Syn shows good UOA's, but the add pack is still on the bland side.

anyone see this???

Wal-Mart, Warren To Pay $357K To Settle Oil Labeling Case
5 Counties Join Forces In Suit Over Alleged Violations

POSTED: 7:01 am PST January 23, 2009

Monterey County District Attorney Dean D. Flippo announced this week that his office, along with the District Attorneys of Sonoma, Napa, Shasta, and Solano counties reached a settlement in a civil law enforcement action filed against Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and Warren Distribution, Inc. for alleged labeling violations related to Wal-Mart’s SuperTech Gear Oil.

Warren Distribution, a Nebraska corporation, manufactured the gear oil for Wal-Mart’s SuperTech brand.

According to a news release, an investigation by state and local Weights and Measures officials found that the 85W-140 and 75W-140 SuperTech gear oils did not meet advertised viscosity levels.

anyone see this???

Monterey County District Attorney Dean D. Flippo announced this week that his office, along with the District Attorneys of Sonoma, Napa, Shasta, and Solano counties reached a settlement in a civil law enforcement action filed against Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and Warren Distribution, Inc. for alleged labeling violations related to Wal-Mart’s SuperTech Gear Oil.

Warren Distribution, a Nebraska corporation, manufactured the gear oil for Wal-Mart’s SuperTech brand.

According to a news release, an investigation by state and local Weights and Measures officials found that the 85W-140 and 75W-140 SuperTech gear oils did not meet advertised viscosity levels.
Old news.

we all saw that gear oil problem already - point is that no one's vehicle was actually ruined. probably an employee fell asleep and by accident the wrong viscosity went in the wrong bottle, or something. For example my Dakota calls for 75w140, but it would probably run just fine with 75w110, probably run fine even with 75w90. I notice some F150's actually call for 75w90.

Last edited:
anyone see this???

Warren actually caught this problem and only a handful of product made it to a few Wal-Mart stores in one county in California. It was not that big of a deal. It was the same sort of internal quality control issues any blender faces on a daily basis.
smirk2.gif

I was in Wal-Mart tonight and I noticed there is now more Super Tech oil in XOM bottles than in the conventional looking bottles. So it appears XOM is squeezing out Warren as the supplier of Super Tech oil in this area.

The synthetic and syn blend is still in Warren bottles.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I was in Wal-Mart tonight and I noticed there is now more Super Tech oil in XOM bottles than in the conventional looking bottles. So it appears XOM is squeezing out Warren as the supplier of Super Tech oil in this area.

I'm thinking that is going to happen here soon....

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

That may not be the case. About a year and a half ago, I noticed the XOM bottles being replaced by WPP. It's been back to XOM for a while now. Sometimes there are changes in distribution and availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back