Arx with Pennzoil Platinum - 4000 KM (2500 Miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone:

Below is a picture of my Amsoil EAO filter that I cut open after running PP 5w30 with a full bottle of ARX for 4,000KM (2500 Miles).

I will post the filter cut open after the rinse cycle with PP.

filter.JPG

I took pictures but they didn't turn out. The oil on the Dipstick was a nice golden brown when I took it out and darker than my usual oil changes with 10,000KM (6,000 Miles).

Works as advertised. I love this stuff! Make sure you have plenty of filters on hand for the rest of the treatments.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone:

It's my 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 Litre V6 naturally aspirated with no mods.

The engine was always well maintained by me and here is the history of the oil and changes.

First 80K KM used Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic changed at 5K intervals

80K - 100K KM - Amsoil SSO changed at 5K intervals for warranty and because I was flushing out the engine before doing extended drains with Amsoil.

100K to current - Amsoil ASL 5w30 with 10K KM change intervals.

Switched to Pennzoil Platinum for ARX Clean/rinse cycle and running for recommended intervals as per ARX.

I intend to use 1 Amsoil EAO oil filter during the rinse phase as these filters are built well with excellent flow, and I think I maintained my engine well enough that there shouldn't be too much deposit in this engine.

The filter wasn't heaver that normal, but I have noticed that the engine does seem to have better get up and go. It doesn't feel lazy at all (common complaint by 2.7L owners).

I have also noticed that the oil cap was a bit cleaner...

IMO this product works as claimed. I would have loved to open the valve covers for everyone but I didn't because I don't want to break the factory seal as nothing is leaking, and because it's a PITA on this car to get to with all the [censored] that runs all over the engine, the plastic housing and the spark plug tubes.

PP and ARX? I haven't researched this yet...but isn't ARX supposed to be used with a "Dino" oil?

PP is a dino oil as it is a GRP III synthetic. It's the recommended synthetic to be used with ARX if you wish to use a Syn.

I choose not to use a dino oil in my cold Canadian winter.
grin2.gif

ARX's lanolin esters are semi-solid and rather large particles. I have filtered the virgin product with coffee filters which caught a lot of these particles on the filter. It looked like jelly and I think that this is what you are seeing here.

I have no doubt the products does cleaning.

It was really funky when I was pouring it in... It was chunky... I made sure that the ARX was at room temperature just before pouring in and I poured it into a hot engine which I ran after and let circulate with the oil to ensure it didn't clump up in my engine oil passages before mixing fully with the oil.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
PP is a dino oil as it is a GRP III synthetic. It's the recommended synthetic to be used with ARX if you wish to use a Syn.

I choose not to use a dino oil in my cold Canadian winter.
grin2.gif

Thanks for the clarification.
blush.gif

As promised... Here is a picture of the filter cut-open after the ARX-Rinse phase...

It should be much full of junk than the filter at the top, but it's very clean.

This was done again with Pennzoil Platinum and at the recommended mileage for rinsing as per ARX.

filter2.jpg

The first filter pic looks filthy. An engine using syn it's whole life and arx still found some cleaning work to do.. interesting.

Thanks for posting these. I'm going to have to cut my WIX 51334 once my rinse is over (running an oil burning application). Didn't do my own oil change the last time (had no time) and the guy threw the filter in the crusher, when I specifically asked him not to.

The last time I wanted to dissect a filter was a catastrophe...the tech did it for me and cut the filter in half from the top centre. :no-no:

You are not going to get much crud from a well maintained engine sorry to say. Though the oil companies must love you.

Wow... I NEVER would have believed that an engine using synthetic all its life would shed so much [censored] during an Auto-RX phase. I guess that goes to show that just because a valvetrain looks clean, there may be more to the story in the lower regions of an engine...

Hey Everyone:

Thanks for the posts...

I don't have a pic of another filter when I wasn't using ARX, but it looks almost identical to the second filter. Very clean and nothing out of the ordinary...

I only used Dino for 2 short OCI when the engine was new then switched to Mobil-1 for the first 80K KM (50K Miles) changed at 6,000 KM OCI as per the manual (3500 Miles).

Then at at roughly 85K KM (53K Miles) I switched to Amsoil and have been running SSO/ASL until the mileage now. 150K KM (90K Miles) with 10K KM (6K Mile) OCI's

This engine has always seen nothing but very generous maintenance and 95% highway miles...

I did have a UOA done before I did the ARX which found high-insolubles which Terry said was most likely the air filter not doing a great job (cotton gauze OEM), so I have installed a new PCV and WIX Air filter and will see how it goes on my next UOA.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back