Who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brian12
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Mark888
I think that WPP bottles and distributes all SuperTech products, even the ones that they don't make.

Nope. XOM makes/bottles ST dino up here. The XOM tech sheets I have indicate "Walmart ST oil".

IMO, WPP is not big enough to supply the entire country's WM's with motor oil.
I think your mistaken. He are msds on Warren's site for Exxon-Mobil. They must be packaging it for them.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds.php

For some strange reason, WPP has MSDS's on their site for products they don't make.
They must be bottling it for them. Would be just plain insanity otherwise. They must be involved in the process somewhere along the line.

If you search oil on that MSDS query page it lists all kinds of products that they have no involvement in making or bottling. Pennzoil motor oil as an example.

brian12 said:
Or...they're distrubuting it for them, again, depending on the location. If WPP moves one bottle, they need to list the MSDS.
Listing an MSDS doesn't mean they make it/bottle it.

I agree. WPP is also a distribution company. So they distribute finished product that is manufactured and bottled by the major oil companies.

I work in a FDA validated facility. We have cabinets upon cabinets of MSDS sheets for EVERYTHING! Environmental health and safety is HUGE these days. Typically, anything that comes into the building requires an MSDS. I would bet dollars to donuts that a distributor like WPP follows similar practices.

Either way, that's the beauty of ST oils. You never quite know who the [censored] makes it, exactly. You have a good idea most of the time though.

It's still a poopty deal at $17
33.gif

Bring back the $4.96/jug dino!!!

I think that WPP bottles and distributes all SuperTech products, even the ones that they don't make.

Nope. XOM makes/bottles ST dino up here. The XOM tech sheets I have indicate "Walmart ST oil".

IMO, WPP is not big enough to supply the entire country's WM's with motor oil.
I think your mistaken. He are msds on Warren's site for Exxon-Mobil. They must be packaging it for them.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds.php

For some strange reason, WPP has MSDS's on their site for products they don't make.
They must be bottling it for them. Would be just plain insanity otherwise. They must be involved in the process somewhere along the line.

If you search oil on that MSDS query page it lists all kinds of products that they have no involvement in making or bottling. Pennzoil motor oil as an example.
Take a look here under what we sell. Lists Mobil, Castrol, Shell just to name a few. They must be involved somehow. http://www.wd-wpp.com/linecard.html

If they are not packaging those products for those companies could they be blending it for them?

In most cases I would say no, they are doing pure warehouse distribution.

Wpp does distribution, so small/medium sized chains don't have to have their own warehouses.

Probably. They are already going to WM, so it makes sense for even the larger companies like XOM, SOPUS, or whom ever to go through the WPP distribution for simple logistical reasons. It's all about $$$ savings and maximum profit.

Hey Mark, I have to say Kudos to you for your research and thought on this. I expected the typical "who makes ST oil" thread and this one was the most informational we've had in a long time.

thumbsup2.gif

Hey Mark, I have to say Kudos to you for your research and thought on this. I expected the typical "who makes ST oil" thread and this one was the most informational we've had in a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, but it gets more confusing the longer we look at it.

I have always believed that being an informed consumer is a valuable thing.

Negative. I knew to get the XOM tech sheets because the bottles are of the XOM design and have the "G" imprint on the bottom.

By the way, the "G" is for Graham Packaging. They make plastic containers for many oil companies and virtually anything else that comes in plastic bottles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was hoping Johnny would weigh in. Finding out who makes the oil is a small part of the puzzle. Finding the exact chemical analysis is the other part. For the sake of argument, lets say we were 100% certain Shell made the product. Do you think they would take their Flagship Product sell it in its exact formula to be packaged under another brand name to be sold cheap in Wal-mart? I seriously doubt it.

That is a good point. But I don't even want to speculate one way or the other quite yet. The first step is to find out who makes it, and then the other question can be addressed if some facts can be obtained to support a conclusion one way or the other.

As to why they would want to sell their oil for a Walmart branded product, it would depend on whether it is profitable for Shell to do so. There is a lot of advertising, marketing, and distribution cost built into the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands, so it could be very profitable. Obviously, even if they did, they wouldn't want it widely known that they provide product for Walmart SuperTech (if in fact they do). This same dilemma exists for many other products and companies.

Edit: Same question could be raised about Mobil. Why do they sell PAO to their competitors? Because it is very profitable to do so.

It would be very profitable to sell to Walmart, however I seriously doubt they would take their Flagship product in its exact chemical make up and re-bottle it. I would think it would be a lower grade product, because if it was ever found out that the exact same product was under a different label it would do Shell/Mobil more harm than good.

This is typical of paint compaines as well, they sell product under different labels to stores using a store brand label. It is not the same quality product even though for the sake of Argument Sherwin Williams, or Muralo makes it. My guy sells re-labeled Muralo paint under his own label, it is nowhere near the same quality.

I suspect this to be the same deal. That would be specualtion until a complete chemical analysis comes in. Since I don't have the money nor desire to pay for the testing, I would stick to the brand name, and be pretty certain it would be of a better quality than something under a Walmart Label.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Negative. I knew to get the XOM tech sheets because the bottles are of the XOM design and have the "G" imprint on the bottom.

By the way, the "G" is for Graham Packaging. They make plastic containers for many oil companies and virtually anything else that comes in plastic bottles.

Yep, but so far (that I've seen), only Graham and CCC (Consolidated Container Company)has packaged the XOM ST oil sold at Walmart. Also remember that this may not apply to other areas of the country.

Yep, but so far (that I've seen), only Graham and CCC (Consolidated Container Company)has packaged the XOM ST oil sold at Walmart. Also remember that this may not apply to other areas of the country.

I always wondered what the "CCC" stood for (but obviously not enough to look into it myself.
grin2.gif
)

Locally, Walmart's conventional oils are XOM except for 5w-20 which is WPP. High mileage and synthetic are made by WPP.

Also noticed a new white bottle for the synthetic instead of the silver.

.... I obviously spend way too much time in Walmart.
smirk2.gif

I'm pretty sure it is Warren right now....

Rumor I heard is that a change to mobil might be coming...

Mobil 1 gets an "update" and a drop to 21 bucks (I think)

Old mobil 1 (different add pack) becomes ST syn.

Old mobil 5000 (sounds like it will be dropped in favor of th 7500) would become ST dino.

Rumor, but...

It would make sense if mobil wants to win the price war. (More oil=lower price)

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It would be very profitable to sell to Walmart, however I seriously doubt they would take their Flagship product in its exact chemical make up and re-bottle it. I would think it would be a lower grade product, because if it was ever found out that the exact same product was under a different label it would do Shell/Mobil more harm than good.

This is typical of paint compaines as well, they sell product under different labels to stores using a store brand label. It is not the same quality product even though for the sake of Argument Sherwin Williams, or Muralo makes it. My guy sells re-labeled Muralo paint under his own label, it is nowhere near the same quality.

I suspect this to be the same deal. That would be specualtion until a complete chemical analysis comes in. Since I don't have the money nor desire to pay for the testing, I would stick to the brand name, and be pretty certain it would be of a better quality than something under a Walmart Label.

Those are valid points, but I assume that Shell doesn't think very many people would find out that some Walmart private label products are supplied by them, and they probably do make at least small changes in the formula just to create "plausible deniability" about whether the products are the same, if and when the subject ever came up.

But Walmart is the 800 lb gorilla of retail, and they wield enormous power. And Mobil is the 800 lb gorilla of synthetic oil (in the retail space), so Shell is in-between a rock and hard place in the synthetic retail market.

But I don't really like to speculate one way or the other. We will see where the facts take us. Maybe it won't take us anywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Old mobil 5000 (sounds like it will be dropped in favor of th 7500) would become ST dino.

Rumor, but...

Mobil 1 has already started a price war, with the $10 rebate and the Advance Auto Parts sale.

With the dramatic drop in crude prices, expect to see prices of motor oil drop accross the board, even if formulas stay the same.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Rumor, but...

Mobil 1 has already started a price war, with the $10 rebate and the Advance Auto Parts sale.

With the dramatic drop in crude prices, expect to see prices of motor oil drop accross the board, even if formulas stay the same.

Yes, BUT expect Mobil to stay number one...and if they team up with walmart, things could get interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back