Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease on brake caliper pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years back when doing a brake job and looking over products at NAPA I picked a silicone based grease (SilGlyde) as I thought it'd work well for the 'rubber' parts that are designed to be around brake fluid. At the counter the NAPA employee, a middle aged women, said 'good boy, that's what should be used' :^) I use the stuff on any 'rubber' part that looks like it needs to be lubed and wouldn't be in operation.

AS others have mentioned I like to also clean the parts, check for pitting and such. I also put very thin layer of antiseize on the pins and then glob on the Silglyde.

Yes, Johnny, that is the stuff. Sil-Glyde turns bright yellow when exposed to air and light for a few hours (unlike other silicone greases). It's MSDS is odd in that it is hard to find any silicone component!

synormin, I also have the ceramlub and pastelube from Gary at GWR auto. He says that he markets the Bendix Ceramlube also. The Permatex version is different.

Your experience with ceramlub gumming up reflects my experience. The pastelube is even more water proof than the ceramlub, but Gary told me that the pastelube was more for exposed metal to metal parts while the ceramlub was better at pins, etc. enclosed by rubber boots.

PLease follow up after you get more experience with the Stalube

FWIW: Mobil 1 grease is used at our sewer treatment plant, on pumps running 24/7 powered by U.S. Motor products.

As an employee, I took a tour of plant operations & they had a tube of this Mobil grease at every pump. Running smooth and quiet.

Testimate to their product.

GL

Last edited:
How hot do the pumps get and what sort of rubber components do they have? I know Sil-Glyde works great on brake parts and dielectric grease works great on sparkplugs. I am not interested in learning other products don't.

Sewer treatment pump bearings and caliper slides have vastly different requirements of grease. Because Mobil 1 works well in the treatment plant has no bearing on its performance in a caliper slide application.

It's like taking aspirin for a stomach ache because it works so well on headaches.

Originally Posted By: labman
How hot do the pumps get...?
Interestingly, I can answer that question because I'm about to get some failed wastewater treatment plant pump bearings for examination. They get up to 120°F.

The feedback I've received from my co-workers is that the Pastelub is working very well on slides and pad contact points.
Our Wurth rep stopped by today and I inquired with him about using NI2400 anti-seize on slides and he couldn't give me a reason not to.

I'll give you a reason not to use it. Antiseize is essentially small metal flakes in an oil carrier. It'll work for a short while until the oil dries out. What'll remain is a dry crunchy mess of a paste.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'll give you a reason not to use it. Antiseize is essentially small metal flakes in an oil carrier. It'll work for a short while until the oil dries out. What'll remain is a dry crunchy mess of a paste.

Makes sense. I emailed Wurth directly to see what their position on it is but I haven't heard back. Our Wurth reps endorsement of anti-seaize wasn't overwhelmingly convincing.

I like using Molykote M-77 myself. Honda can't be wrong - most of the time anyway. I've used Sil-Glyde, Mercedes' brake pad paste and Sta-Lube with success too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
I like using Molykote M-77 myself. Honda can't be wrong - most of the time anyway. I've used Sil-Glyde, Mercedes' brake pad paste and Sta-Lube with success too.

Molykote can only be used for metal to metal contact points, such as shims and pad support plates (or clips). You cannot use it for lubricating slide pins as the molykote product is not compatible with rubber.

I reverse-engineered the Mercedes' brake pad paste back in the lab, and it is nothing more than copper-based antiseize. I don't recommend using it for caliper slides.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Molykote can only be used for metal to metal contact points, such as shims and pad support plates (or clips). You cannot use it for lubricating slide pins as the molykote product is not compatible with rubber.

I know the techs at work use regular lithium grease on slide pins. I'll use Sil-Glyde on the slide pins on my next brake job - I use Molykote on sliding surfaces on the caliper mount and pad backs/shims.

where did you get the "not compatible with rubber" information?

Originally Posted By: tom slick

where did you get the "not compatible with rubber" information?

I remember reading it in some Honda service news bulletin a long time ago. I tried doing a quick google search and was unable to find that in verbatim, but I did find this info regarding brake lube from a bulletin on Recommended Greases and Lubricants:

Honda Caliper Grease 08C30-B0224M 4853958 High-temperature, silicone-based grease used to lubricate caliper slide pins.

Molykote M77 (75-gram jar) 08798-9010 4503793 A high-molybdenum-content paste that polishes more than it lubricates. Use it on the back of brake pads and on brake shims.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-ho...icant-list.html

FWIW, I bought a tube of Krytox GPL226 from Mcmaster-Carr.
Krytox is probably the most advanced grease period. Expensive, but lasts forever (a little goes a long way), totally inert and excellent for most automotive applications.

It's also the only acceptable replacement for 60% moly lube that can stand up to the severe duty in spline-drive applications like motorcycle final drives.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/products/krytox/krytox.html

I believe Molykote M77 is the best all-around lube for cliper pins and other caliper sliding surfaces. It has the best of both worlds - silicone and MoS2.

Is it available locally in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back