Two ConocoPhillips Synthetic-Blend Motor Oils Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really interesting...
wakes Kendall-interest in my oily mind:)
is Kendall GT-1 a "hard to find" oil?

one question: Because of the different metallurgies/compositions in the 2 engines involved, is this comparision enlightning, in spite of the adjustment for mileage?, or is that not so important?
( or are the engines sort of similar because both are involved with Ford now?)

I wouldn't try to read too much into this comparison for the very reasons you mentioned. There are a lot of variables at play, here. I just found the similarities in performance surprising despite those variables. As to Kendall GT-1's availability, think more in terms of ConocoPhillips, NOT a particular brand in the ConocoPhillips' stable. I suspect the qualities that intrigue are just as apt to be found in 76 Super Synthetic Blend, Conoco Super All Season Synthetic Blend or Phillips 66 TropArtic Synthetic Blend at Dollar Tree Stores.

Both motor oils are blended and bottled by ConocoPhillips, and, presumably are examples of that company's "SM" technology. The Kendall GT-1 syn-blend data appears to be the first UOA of one of ConocoPhillips own syn-blend brands to apppear on BITOG.

code:

Motorcraft 5W-20 @ 1,744 miles Kendall GT-1 5W-30 @ 3,090 miles

2004 Mazda 6S 2000 Saab 2L Turbo

Al - 2 2

Cr - 1 1 (adjusted for mileage - 0.6)*

Fe - 9 11 (adjusted for mileage - 6.2)

Cu - 6 4 (adjusted for mileage - 2.2)

Pb - 1 3 (adjusted for mileage - 1.7)

Sn - 1 0

Mo - 42 77

Ni - 0 0

Ma - 1 1

Ag - 0 0

Ti - 0 0

K - 2 2

Bo - 2 121

Si - 18 19

Na - 2 3

Ca - 1945 2313

Mg - 7 19

Ph - 727 822

Zn - 812 884

Ba - 0 0

SUS Vis: 48.0/53-62 54.4/56-63

(@ 210 degrees F.)

Flashpt: 400 degrees F. 365 degrees F.

There does seem to be more than a passing family resemblance despite the differences in viscosity, OCI, and engine design implied-stress. Note the degree to which the Motorcraft 5W-20 hot viscosity sheared back in under 1,800 miles compared to that of the Kendall 5W-30 in nearly 3,100 miles - with the added demands of handling a turbo motor's stress to boot! Note, too, the differences in wear metals. "CAFE", anyone? Thank you, but I believe that I'll continue with xW-30 motor oils. Boron levels were way high in the Kendall syrup. What's boron used for anyway?

*These values were adjusted down to levels expected at 1,744 miles under the presumption that the oil filter had not clogged and wear would be at a constant rate throughout the OCI.

IS Trop-Arctic synthetic blend really just $1.00 at the dollar stores? This would be the deal of the century. IF the syn-blend is just $1.00, does the regular (non syn-blend) version also go for $1.00?

The Dollar Tree stores sell the Trop-Acrtic synthetic blend and regular oil for $1.00, all oil is a $1.00,
I had to go to three Dollar Tree stores to find the synthetic blend Trop-Arctic.

To be clear, ALL ConocoPhillips entry-level "SM" motor oils are now synthetic* blend. The only non-syn blends consist of old "SL" stock on clearance - so CHECK the labeling carefully! The fact that Dollar Tree Stores carries TropArtic "SM" should be fantastic news for BITOG Oyle NutZ who don't demand a full synthetic in their motors. Pray the chain has a multi-year contract with ConocoPhillips. (and that they don't change their business model and rename themselves the "Buck-'N-A-Half Stores")

*Terry's on record that he believes there's PAO and/or ester content in these oils as correction fluid. He cautiously admits, though, that he hasn't tested the stuff yet. As for me, I'm perfectly happy if the synthetic content is "merely" Group III. ConocoPhillips won't confirm exactly what the synthetic fluid is, but company reps have indicated by telephone and e-mail to several BITOGers that it's somewhere north of 50% by volume.

I was at Sam's one day and a manager was pulling off the syn blend Trop Artic. I overheard him telling an associate that it was mistakenly sold for the same amount as the regular and they needed to fix their prices. I already new from this site, that all the entry level Trop Artic was the syn blend, as Ray H mentioned.

My last visit, just the other day, I noticed all the cases of Trop Artic were the syn blend...at the same price as before.
smile.gif

Thanks to all poster here,

All this seems too good to be true. If Dollar Tree sells this stuff for $1, they are only paying probably 80 to 90 cents at most if that per quart to buy it from Conoco. What gives here? Can somebody sell a half group III oil for less than a buck?........ heck, I bet the plastic container costs 5 to 10 cents. Isn't this too good to be true? Soemthing seems wrong.....volume doesn't explain this as selling volumes at a loss does not equal profitability.
Maybe highly refined oils cost a lot less to make than most of us think and the $1.50 prices at Wally world for group II equals a profit utopia.

I don't know, all i know is I got 8 more qts of trop artic 10-30 Syn blend today at the DT, API SM to add to the stash. that was all there was on the shelf right then, and 10-30 was the only weight that had syn=blend on it.

Be rest assured there is varables in batch,s the printed specs are just guide lines,along with MSDS ,the end finished product is compariable to that is needed and of good results...BL

quote:

Originally posted by Frank D:
Isn't Saab part of GM?

Yes, but this engine is a derivation of a Triumph engine that Saab has been using since 1968. It has nothing at all to do with GM
smile.gif

In any case, you are right that it definitely has nothing to do with Ford. Although, the V4 that Saab used before they got their hands on the Triumph engine was actually a German Ford engine.

Matt

quote:

Originally posted by 1911:
What gives here? Can somebody sell a half group III oil for less than a buck [emphasis mine]? ... Isn't this too good to be true? Soemthing seems wrong...

For those who share your concerns, ExxonMobil, SOPUS, BP, Valvoline, etc. can and do happily accomodate your trepidation with generously higher pricing. (BTW - as far as I'm aware, none of the ConocoPhillips motor oils are available for under one dollar per quart . . .) I see no reason to attempt to convince anyone of these ConocoPhillips motor oils' performance superiority or the sanity of Dollar Tree Stores' decision makers in establishing the oil's pricing. I believe the Dollar Tree Stores' customary pricing policy and the UOA results I posted speak most eloquently for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back