ATF in the gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing quite a bit of reading about people using ATF in their gas tanks as a "cleaner". A search revealed a member using 2 bottles of ATF with a bottle of MMO, but nothing else is mentioned other than it resulting in smoother idle. Does anybody here happen to do this? Doesn't it cause blue smoke to come out the exhaust or anything like that?

MMO might be 1 thing to put in your tank as a Maintenance Dose.

I would not put ATF in your gas tank, this is old school.

Thats a first I have heard of that. I have heard of people putting ATF in the motor oil to help clean deposits in the motor, but in the gas, I don't know about that.

Originally Posted By: c3po
MMO might be 1 thing to put in your tank as a Maintenance Dose.

How much MMO per gallon or litre would be a considered a Maintenance Dose?

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Where have you read about people doing that?

Read about it here whilst doing a search on Mitsubishi ATF.

I think it is something like 4 ounces to 10 gallons.

I would check out the old MMO posts in the fuel additive section.

I thought the consensus was that there are very few detergents in ATF. It might make an OK TCL, but not much else.

It's been discussed being used in a crankcase as a cleaner. I don't there is much in it to make it a fuel system or combustion chamber cleaner.

Would it make smoke come out of your tail-pipe? Sure, if you put a quart in a tank of fuel it would be like burning a quart of oil over the full tank distance. You may or may not see blue smoke.

ATF should not be used. Stick to a fuel treatment like redline SI1, techron, amsoil, mmo, ect. . .

Follow the bottles directions for how much to add.

Marvel Mystery Oil.
55.gif

Here's a link to their website:

Quote:
Marvel Mystery Oil® lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top-portion of the cylinders. These are areas, that by design, motor oil does not reach. Using Marvel Mystery Oil® in your fuel extends the life of these vital components by providing them with lubrication that fuel alone does not provide.

there is a member here who ran the atf/mmo combo and noticed better responsiveness and quicker starts and smoother idle etc.he did as mainly an experiment to show that it would not harm your engine but apparently it generated lasting positive effects.
the atf burn is an old trick to clean carbon out of your engine,many used to pour it slowly down the carb throat while idling.it was very endearing to the neighbors who got to enjoy clouds of white smoke.

I use ATF on first generation Volvo S40s that have fouled injectors.

These cars come in with the common complaint of "lack of power on acceleration, hesitation, and misfiring". Through experimentation, I have found that a half a quart of ATF to a tank of fuel and a short 15 minute drive, the problem will be fixed.

I used to run ATF in my 1982 Volvo 240 Turbo's gasoline. It had mechanical fuel injection (Bosch K-jetronic) and an old Mercedes tech was telling me how ATF was used to keep the rubber parts in the Mercedes constant injection systems soft and pliable. I don't know if it made a difference, but I never had a fuel related issue. Again, half a quart of ATF to one tank of fuel. But, I did it every 3000 miles (at each service).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back