Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M vs 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irrespective of the Formula M's reduced ash for emissions equipment, how would the new 5w40 compare to 0w40? Can't seem to find anything on Mobil's website about the ESP 5w40.

I have run 0w40 for years and it has worked VERY well on my e320 and on my parents' e320 cdi, but I've been reading about this new oil that can be run up to 19k OCI's based on the MB oil life monitor (Europe) and is set conservatively at 10k here in the States. We will be using this oil in my folks' new '09 GL Bluetec as per MB specs, and I'm considering using it in their '05 e320 CDI (currently 0w40), both with 10k OCI's.

Cut and paste from mbworld.com and Mobil.com

As a reminder, to maintain the integrity of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), specification 229.51 oil must be used for Diesel engines. Mercedes-Benz recommends Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W40 for MY2007 and newer Mercedes-Benz Diesels.

“MB sheet 229.51 approved oils; low ash long life
Mercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with EURO 4 or Bluetec exhaust particle filters and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers. Based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3"

As a precautionary measure and in an effort to better protect Mercedes-Benz engines from the potential long term effects of the increased use of ethanol. DCAG has decided to differentiate the engine oils that are used for Gasoline and Diesel engines.

As such, Mercedes-Benz 229.5 0W40 engine oil must be used for all gasoline engines including AMG. Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of Mobil 1 0W40 for all gasoline engines including AMG, with the exception of the SLR. 0W40 engine oil is more effective in resisting the possible corrosive effects of acidic moisture that can be caused by the increased use of ethanol. The SLR requires specification 229.3, Mobil 1 5W50 oil. To maintain the integrity of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), specification 229.51 must be used for Diesel engines.

MB oil recommendation May 2008

Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 has recently been approved for Mercedes-Benz MB229.5 oil specification and is recommended for use in ALL gasoline engines including AMG (except SLR) and Maybach. Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 engine oil is similarly effective to 0W40 in resisting the possible corrosive effects of acidic moisture that can be caused by the increased use of ethanol in US gasolines.

AMG recommends the use of the following oils:

- Mobil 1 5W-40 for M156 engine (63er models)
- Mobil 1 0W-40 all other AMG engines (as well the AMG diesel engines that was used for the C 30 AMG)
- Mobil 1 5W-50 SLR engine

The recommendation to use the new 5W40 ESP in gas cars has been withdrawn
There were some issues with the new oil and ethanol fuels.

I have been instructed to clarify that this is not a Mobil problem, but a 229.51 formulation/ethanol problem.

Any 229.51 oil, regardless of mfr, could have this unwanted build up of "snot" within the (gas) engine.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.asp

That's good to know as the MB dealer in Ft. Worth is using the 5W-40 ESP oil in everything. I will let my sister know she needs to tell them to use the 0W-40 in her C-Class as was recommend in the manual.

Great info! So I'll have to try the ESP 5w40 in the CDI and Bluetec, but stick with a "normal" Mobil 1 formulation in the e320.

At the MB dealer price of $6.95/qt for the ESP 5w40, I contemplating using this oil in everything.

Johnny, dealers should have the Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 in the bulk tanks, and not the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W40.

Se UOA section for a resent sample of the Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40.

opposite locker make sure you don’t use the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W40 in the e320.
It’s not intended for gas engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back