Trailer radials for passenger duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tires are 185/80 R13 P metrics which are getting harder to find. I can locate trailer tires such as Goodyar Marathons. After a quick net search looks like the only difference is better sidewalls and tougher construction against a possible ply separation.

Given these tires are still radials and the originals were Goodyear Arriva or GTs of the 1980's, could like-original steering and ride be expected from the raidal "trailer tires"?

Are there other cars in Istanbul still running 13 inchers? My bet is "yes", look at them in parking lots and see what brand they've got.

In
34.gif
newspaper ads for tires claim "starting at $19.99" with an 80-series, 13 inch tire being the $20 loss leader. Unfortunately it's usually a 155/80/13.

BTW, you can drop the "80" as it's the default, for a 185-R13, if that helps you search.

What's the weight rating and PSI of those trailer tires? I bet both are much higher than your car's... which would make a punishing ride. Trailer tires are meant to just follow quietly with low drag; braking, cornering, and acelleration traction will probably be awful.

I have a small trailer that uses that size and I too have a hard time finding tires. Don't use trailer tires on your car they don't work good. The sizes listed below may work on your car

195/75R13, P205/70R13, 205/70R13

Firestone still sells the size you are looking for.

Like the others above, I think trailer tires on a car might be a bad idea. While a trailer tire may have a stronger sidewall and a higher load rating than a comparable car tire, I don't think a trailer tire is designed to handle all the forces of stopping, accelerating, hard cornering, wet weather traction, etc, etc.

There's got to be tires made in that part of the world which will fit your car. I found tires from Firestone and Hankook in that size, less than $50 each in the US.

80 series are indeed oddities here except the subcompacts, that's why there are 155 and 165/80's from known brands but no 185's. Actually for some 60's Benz's Firestrones being imported to Germany from the US. I'd like to import, but dealers are leery for customs "protecting" we consumers from old tires... tires have to be three weeks (or months) old max. or won't get in. That's insane! So they tackle the bussiness for only high volume orders. Individual importing is Ok since I won't sell, but the price of mail for regular tyres are just fun.

There are specialty producers like Cooker Tyre or Michelin Classic series (XASs re-produced by Mich.). The Michelins are pricy and still imports.

Thank you for the answers. I never been into traileing, just wondered, what if, in case... Closest ones are 185/70s but they're not safe either because of the load range.

Original load range is 90-92 and the 185/70s are 82 to 86. So in the end trailer tires have to be only better than those. The ones I used had ply separations within 60K kms/ 4 years.

Maybe it's time to go to a 14" wheel. Get a wheel and tire package. I didn't catch what model car.

A 90-92 load rating seems high, and is more likely met with a 14" tire, than some odd 13"

I suspect the issue with the trailer tires is speed rating. Probably not rated for sustained travel at over 120kph.

A 195-70-14 is only a 0.1" greater diameter and has a 90 or 91 load rating. So are there 14" wheels for your car available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back