Are Armor All cleaner wipes OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some Armor All wipes last week figuring I'd give them a try. Got some "Cleaner" wipes (not "Protectant") and some glass cleaner wipes as well. I haven't tried the glass cleaner ones yet but this morning I tried out the general cleaner ones on some sections of my dash. I didn't get the protectant because I'm really only interested in making the interior look better at this point (pick up dust, clean off scuffs, etc) and I don't want any oily finish that I can feel when I touch the cleaned surfaces.

The cleaner wipes feel more oily than I expected, and I'm wondering if I should've just stuck with damp rags. I have two concerns:

1) Is this going to build up a coat of cleaner (with multiple cleanings) that doesn't evaporate off?
2) There are a "satin aluminum finish" surfaces that I assume are painted or at least clearcoated on the steering wheel, e-brake handle, and door pulls. How careful do I need to be about not getting this stuff on those surfaces?

I got the wipes instead of a bottle of something mainly because I'm pretty lazy when it comes to detailing. I'm especially hoping the glass ones work out well because cleaning the large, raked windshield on the Civic is a PITA and these things should be easier to use than the other automotive glass cleaner I've used, which requires a separate drying step.

I do not care for any product from Armor All.

Meguiars and Mothers make good products. I really like Zaino and poor boys lines.

What ever brand, I really do not like "wipes". If you just want to clean your dash, get a glass cleaner safe for window tinting(No ammonia). Use that with a micro fiber. It will get all the grime and gunk up and not leave any thing left behind.

A great product is Meguiars Gold Class interior detailing spray. It leaves a slight shine, but no greasy left overs.

Good luck.

Since you have the wipes now, use em. I just do not care for there performance.

I bought some interior cleaner from Griot's Garage, that stuff works great. No greasy leftover feel, it cleans really well and doesn't have an overpowering smell.

I also stay away from AA products, maybe it's a throwback to the days when their product starting fogging the plastic in the dash.

I recommend Meguiars Quick Interior detailer for quick cleanup jobs, like dusting. Leaves a nice matte finish.

I've been using Armor All wipes and tire foam for years without any issues. Always great results.

Last edited:
Armorall is water based so it shouldn't be an issue. Megs interior detailer is a great product.

Good to know. I'm definitely open to trying other products, this stuff was just convenient to get. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to have any nasty aftereffects.

I use them all the time on my Yaris. Orange ones are great for cleaning under the hood.

Just avoid the window wipes, they're junk. I tried them on the plastic interior, results were so-so, may as well just stick with the interior cleaning wipes (or the orange do-all wipes).

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Orange ones are great for cleaning under the hood.

I'm glad you mentioned that actually, I was originally going to use these to clean some of the surfaces in the engine compartment (mainly plastics on the valve cover and the intake piping). Why do you specifically mention the orange ones as opposed to the general cleaner ones?

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
I recommend Meguiars Quick Interior detailer for quick cleanup jobs, like dusting. Leaves a nice matte finish.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

When I did my detailing intro course only Armorall was the the one to steer well clear of as it used to/has petroleum content which is very bad news for rubber, leather, vinyl

Originally Posted By: sprintman
When I did my detailing intro course only Armorall was the the one to steer well clear of as it used to/has petroleum content which is very bad news for rubber, leather, vinyl

Armor-All's now owned by Clorox, and it's mostly silicone.

I prefer 303 myself - but some interior dressings like Black Magic still have petroleum distillates in them.

Maybe in the 1970's and 80's. Now it is a good water and silicone based product.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Maybe in the 1970's and 80's. Now it is a good water and silicone based product.

Only their "original shine" product. AA makes several solvent-based products. If it looks clear like baby oil, its solvent based, not water based.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

Only their "original shine" product. AA makes several solvent-based products. If it looks clear like baby oil, its solvent based, not water based.

Hmmmm, I don't know. I just looked at several at Wal-Mart that were clear and non had "petroleum distillates" on the lable.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

Hmmmm, I don't know. I just looked at several at Wal-Mart that were clear and non had "petroleum distillates" on the lable.

I'm not referring to the wipes. I am referring to the tire shine products in bottles, the stuff most people use.

MSDS for Armor All Extreme Shine:
http://whatsinproducts.com/information.p...60524118b6f5294

The stuff is essentially light petroleum distillates (solvent) and silicone oil. Probably some fragrance in it so your tires smell good. Most solvent-based tire shine products are similar to this.

If I am not mistaken, Armour All does not use petroleum distillates in thier product any more. I know at one time they did and it was listed on the bottle. The new formula is thicker. Almost like a gel.
I am disappointed in Meguires though. I bought a bottle of Meguires NXT interior spray and it is clear. The bottle states that it does contain petroleum distillates. I took the bottle back.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Orange ones are great for cleaning under the hood.

I'm glad you mentioned that actually, I was originally going to use these to clean some of the surfaces in the engine compartment (mainly plastics on the valve cover and the intake piping). Why do you specifically mention the orange ones as opposed to the general cleaner ones?

They seem to not leave as much of a grease smudging.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I really like the cleaning wipes from Armor All. They work great and don't give that greasy look like regular Armor All wipes do. I've used them ever since they came out. It looked like this thread had kinda diverted to discussing regular Armor All and not the actual cleaning wipes... Not like that's unusual though...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
I am disappointed in Meguires though. I bought a bottle of Meguires NXT interior spray and it is clear.

What color should it have been? Black? Blue? Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back