zMax additive for oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
I am with you Ken2. Auto-RX is about the only product I will add to motor oil anymore.

Now I have not completely closed the books on Lubegard products. And if a company that makes quality motor oil like Valvoline came out with an interesting oil supplement I might be willing to try it. At least in a situation where extra additives might be useful like a hot summer.

These supposed miracle products however that appear from time to time, usually produced by some mysterious company that has no real experience in formulating motor oils, are the kind of products I will avoid.

The only real miracle product I have seen in many years for motor oil is Auto-RX.

Look up item number on eBay is 110358016362. It looks like some kind of additive made by Valvoline. The guy selling it says Valvoline VOA, but not sure what VOA stands for. Probably Valvoline Oil Additive, which then he could have said Valvoline OA. I have never seen it before, there is a topic in this section on the stuff, no information on it just a guy saying he bought some from eBay.

Everything I have heard or read about Zmax suggests it is a very light petroleum oil possibly mixed with a penetrant. That would explain why some people claim better mileage and/or power. We know thinner oil will increase mileage and power due to lower hydrodynamic drag.

This stuff might also help clean up a stuck ring pack, reducing oil consumption ... although I'd prefer other, more proven products for this ... like AutoRX.

Problem is, it is also probably increasing wear at the same time.

You could probably use something like MMO or ATF in the oil and get similar results for a lot less money.

As for high oil consumption on a newer vehicle, I would try a top oil like Lucas UCL or MMO at the recommended dose every other tank and see if that doesn't reduce it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back