Shelf Life of Antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what is the shelf life of antifreeze. Wheter sealed or unsealed...(tin foil of jug removed). BMW coolant runs around $18 per gallon

Many years. As long as the coolant is in the jug and has not been diluted with water, don't worry about the shelf life.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Just curious what is the shelf life of antifreeze. Wheter sealed or unsealed...(tin foil of jug removed). BMW coolant runs around $18 per gallon

And I'm curious why you posted this in the ATF, Differential, Trans, Brake, P/S forum?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Many years. As long as the coolant is in the jug and has not been diluted with water, don't worry about the shelf life.

+1

Wrong thread. Admins please move.

CHEFWONG: This is: ATF, Differential, Trans, Brake, P/S

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I believe it's one year, due to additive fall out.

Mike,

You aren't really serious are you or was that a typo?

He was serious.

That doesn't mean he was right, or that he had any basis whatsoever for the claim.

I would guess the heat of the engine and the contact to metals would be the cause of Antifreeze to reactand degrade?

"If the product is still in the original sealed container, then it has a shelf life of many years. We recommend that antifreeze be used within one year of purchase."

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/faq.html#F

"We know that Fleet Charge has a stable storage life of at least 5 years if stored above 0 degrees F."

http://www.fleetchargeantifreeze.com/faq.htm#10

"The primary limiting factor in the shelf life of a coolant is silicate instability. Since silicate will eventually polymerize to silicate gel, all traditional coolants have a shelf life of about 18 months. Chevron DEX-COOL Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is silicate-free and therefore can be stored for at least 8 years without a problem, provided the integrity of the container is maintained."

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/generated/MSDS/PDS7660388.PDF

For what it's worth, I have 10+ year old traditional green coolant in my car now and it seems to do fine. Didn't notice a bunch of silicate gel in it.

I've used AF that was many many years old on the shelf or in a drum and it worked fine protected fine,they just want you to buy more.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
so it lasts 18 months on the shelf but lasts 5 years in an radiator?

and in a harsh environment.

I realize this is an old thread. I came upon it when doing a google search on coolant shelf life.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I believe it's one year, due to additive fall out.

Seems extremely short when you take into account that BMW considers it a lifetime fluid. I know the definition of 'lifetime' is vague, but still. I've got a 5-year-old unopened gallon of this BMW Ethylene glycol-based coolant, and still plan on using it for top ups in my car. I really can't see why not.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably good for 15 years in a closed container. Additive fall-out? I think not but, if so, then shake the jugs really good to remix. Ed

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back