How Should Shop Make Good on Wheel Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got four new tires installed on factory alloy wheels and the shop made a mistake on the original install by installing one incorrect size tire. They were OK on the first install, no marks on the rims. They say no problem and replace the tire. After I get the car home I clean the wheels and find 2 spots with deep gouges 1" and 2 '' long . This is an older car ('87), but that should not make a difference in my mind. I pay the same as everyone else. How should the shop make good on this? What is done for professional repair?

Think of what you want from them and be willing to fight for it. The fact that you left them and then discovered the damage is not going to help you. You're correct in mentioning how the age of the car shouldn't matter, but to the tire shop it will.

I had a situation with a tire shop damaging 4 center caps on my mint 88 van. They didn't want to do anything, I disputed the bill with the credit card company, and took control of the game. They were more than anxious to settle when I had the ball in my court.

My suggestion would be to try and get them to replace the wheel, since I doubt a satisfactory repair can be made to a gouged wheel. Odds are they will settle for something if you're in control of the $$$$$$$$. JMO

Good luck!

Butchers!

Try to get them to purchase a new OEM wheel.

That wheel will begin corroding quickly.

Most aluminum wheels can be repaired. Check out this link to get an idea of what a replacement, re-manufactured wheel would cost for your wheel and see how that stacks up against repairing the wheel. (Remember repairing a wheel involves freight both ways.)

Now you have an idea of what it's going to cost, talk with the tire shop. Speaking from experience, talk with the senior manager there explaining what happened and when you discovered the damage. Keep your explanation focused on the facts without emotion or threats. Listen to the other guy to keep it a conversion.

If the shop wants your business again, they will try to keep you satisfied. If not, hopefully you charged the tire installed and can dispute the charge with your credit company (last resort).

I absolutely hate going to any tire shop.

Why were they able to install the other 3 without any damage and the wheel with the incorrect tire gets damaged , I think the guy was mad he had to reinstall a tire and did it on purpose.

Did you ask the manager if they would pay for the damage ?
What type of car was it ?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why were they able to install the other 3 without any damage and the wheel with the incorrect tire gets damaged , I think the guy was mad he had to reinstall a tire and did it on purpose.

Good question. Could be bad skills or trying to rush the job. He did not seem mad. The tech was OK to deal with, did not have "an attitude "and was willing to change the tire out for the right one without a problem. A different tech mounted this tire than did the other three, but that should not make a difference.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Did you ask the manager if they would pay for the damage ?
What type of car was it ?

I found the problem after I left the shop, so I haven't talked to the manager. For now, we'll call this a common Asian car.

One potential fix is the auto recycler(aka junkyard) and finding a used similar condition(without scratches) rim.

If the shop is decent they will fix the rim.

Somehow I have escaped damaged alloy rims over my 22+ years of car ownership. However I stick to independent shops even with primitive equipment mounting 17" 45 series tires and no issue. However they know my name too. I have only visited one chain (Firestone) for first and last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back