Filter Minder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a thought about installing a Filter Minder onto my 4.6L Crown Vic intake. But Ive found several models with varying 'trip' levels for the restriction. I found a K&N which appears to be marked 10" H2O, another one which appears to be the same make except without the K&N logo set for 20" H2O, and a Donaldson set for 25" H2O. What one should I get? Im leaning towards the 20" one..

Good question. I would like one of these devices. I actually bought one a couple years ago and when it came it looked used and pretty cheezy, a plastic tube with a spring and plunger, that I figured it was not going to be very accurate.

Where are you finding these? I would like to check out the products you mention. As for which level of restrictioni to change out the filter, I would guess the filter manufacturer might have an idea what is best.

Another possible option: Someone once said that some Chevy trucks came with a filter minder type device and that one could be ordered from a Chevy dealership.

I became less than impressed over the factory GM filter minders while working on some D-Max upgrades. We had a "freshy serviced" D-Max to which some mods had been made. We could not get stock power on the dyno. Got nowhere near what we wanted in Level 1 or Level 2 on the programmer. In Level 3, it was drastically off but we noticed it popped the filter minder. We looked, and the air filter was plugged big-time. I'm talking knock it on the ground, add seeds, water and grow stuff dirty! Only on Level 3, with the massive increase in airflow, did it trip. The dirty filter was worth 15 hp in stock mode, as measured on a chassis dyno. Probably more, as the dyno reading we got from that dyno and operator were suspect down the line.

Onmo- You're way too anal to ever let a filter go far enough to trip a filter minder, even if you found one calibrated to work on your 4.6L. You'd be better off with a super sensitive vacuum gauge plumbed in somewhere to measure restriction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Onmo- You're way too anal to ever let a filter go far enough to trip a filter minder, even if you found one calibrated to work on your 4.6L. You'd be better off with a super sensitive vacuum gauge plumbed in somewhere to measure restriction.
BINGO!
banana2.gif

What a great idea. The vacuum gauge should show if there was significant air intake restriction. I think I'll go get a vacuum gauge this week. Another toy to play with, besides I'd love to see the needle go spastic when I stomp the pedal.

Go with the vacuum gauge. My book says a steady reading that holds above 21 inches Hg indicates restricted air intake. I have a testing vauum gauge, and it looks like I might be able to rig as a dash gauge, or just add a vacuum gauge test line in a convenient spot and check it periodically.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I saw a post on a Dodge forum that discribed how to test a filter minder. Just suck on it. He said it should trip with about the same suction as you would need for a straw on a large drink.

This is how I tested my filter minder before I installed it. To move it into the red zone it needed about the same amount of suction that you would need for a runny milkshake.

I did actually buy the 20". I noticed in the picture its graduated too. So as vacuum increases it will ratchet closer to red and give a rough estimate of restriction... So if I find 20" too much I can just make another point as my cut off.
I kinda wouldve liked to have found one with an electrical switch, to light up a light when it needs changed. Like on some ford diesels. But I check under the hood enough I will know when its ready anyway.

I was thinking on getting one for my Tacoma since im running a AFE Pro Dry filter...a way to prevent over cleaning. I was reading somewhere that in higher humid areas they give false readings.

I drove it while it was raining and it still is in the same position. I tested it before I installed it and it takes so little to get it to move that first little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back