MP3 Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been listening to some audiobooks I checked out at the library and copying them to CDs are a PITA so I've been converting them to MP3s and using an older cell phone I no longer use as a MP3 player.

I think I'm finally ready to buy a real MP3 player.

I really don't listen to too much music so I don't need or want an Ipod. I think a flash memory based player maybe perfect for me.

Any recommendations?

I know Sandisk makes one, but are they any good? I'd like to keep it at $50 or less. Expandable memory via SD cards would be nice.

TIA

Sandisk makes not too bad MP3 players. The next generation's R&D is now discontinued though because we were losing money on it. Apple is nice but too much fashion for the price, Creative have good audio but they are not cheap either.

I think the best would be to try a few out in the store. I like our sansa e series a lot, but not the sansa clip. Many of them if you don't like the interface you can swap the firmware to rockbox firmware (open source).

The first one I bought was the San Disk M230 with 512K and fm tuner. That was about 4yrs ago. This version comes in different size memory up to I believe 3 GB?
I bought another MP3 Transend 2 GB and it was a lot harder to operate than the San Disk.

If I was to buy another MP3 I would look hard at the San Disk.

Plus you want to support Panda Bear don't you?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
The first one I bought was the San Disk M230 with 512K and fm tuner. That was about 4yrs ago. This version comes in different size memory up to I believe 3 GB?
I bought another MP3 Transend 2 GB and it was a lot harder to operate than the San Disk.

If I was to buy another MP3 I would look hard at the San Disk.

Plus you want to support Panda Bear don't you?
grin2.gif

Not sure if it will support me, but if you buy our flash memory card it sure will
grin2.gif

Last edited:
You know I was thinking of making a similiar post tonite. The wife and I have been really getting tired of cds scratching so easy. My new Focus has a MP3 plug. I don't really want sidetrack this topic but seeing how we just got our first Mac should we get a ipod or what? We have no experience with MP3 players at all.

How much does it cost to download songs? What type of batteries do MP3 players use?

The family has a half-dozen Sandisk e-series players between us. The daughter also has an ipod nano and shuffle. She prefers the Sandisk because it's easier to use, and with good earbuds thinks it sounds better than either ipod. I have an 8GB e-series and am very pleased with it. The learning curve is very shallow. I have over 1100 music files loaded on it, and I haven't even used 40% of the total space. Other than a very minor "playlist" inconvenience, I recommend them highly. I may buy a Sansa Fuze player, I think I've seen the 2GB model for under $50.

Looks like I can get a new Sansa E260 4GB on Ebay for <$50 shipped. Can the memory on these be expanded via SD cards?

I purchased a Sansa View 16GB flash player for $74 + shipping as a refurb. NewEgg or eCost will run these fire sales every so often. I have been quite pleased with it! The voice record, FM radio & FM radio record options are a nice touch.

The only caveat is the slow fast-forward speed. Other than that, it's been a great player.

Originally Posted By: chuckerants
Looks like I can get a new Sansa E260 4GB on Ebay for div>

MicroSD, not SD, but they are very cheap as well.

The only thing I dislike about the fuze is lack of support for rockbox firmware (I think this would add some games options) and you pretty much have to make playlists on your computer. Other than that the interface and controls are great.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Sandisk makes not too bad MP3 players. The next generation's R&D is now discontinued though because we were losing money on it.

Ahh, that's why firmware updates are far & few between...

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Ahh, that's why firmware updates are far & few between...

It is kind of sad, we were #2 in the market due to cheap flash that we have in house. Now that the flash is so cheap, we don't have that advantage anymore.

Apple does make good mp3 player, and they market them very well. What we don't have here in SanDisk is a good management in the product groups and marketing. Wasted too much resource on nonsense like the slot music player, TakeTV, etc that were canceled quickly after the launch, and leave our customer hanging without support soon after they buy it (screwing them).

I think the Sansa mp3 player that can use rockbox should be fine as there are open source firmware out there, but what about those other players that couldn't use rockbox? I bought a Sansa Clip with my own money from Bestbuy, bought it home and couldn't use it because it require Windows MediaPlayer to download the mp3 into the players. Did they know there there are still people not running windows xp yet? how about those that runs pirate windows xp (i.e. most mp3 users who download from bit torrent, the mp3 players' most loyal customers) and couldn't get media player? Yeah, that's like telling your teenager customers "we'll give you a device that can play the music you pirated, but you better have no pirated OS on your computer".

I returned it immediately.

I've seen the clip but not used one. I have to say I don't have any idea how you could attempt to navigate 2 or more gigs of music with such a small display. I really like the fuze its very small and thin like a ipod nano and still has a full color video screen.

nobody has mentioned this yet...

Ever since I bought a cel phone (LG Chocolate) with mp3 capability, my poor little ipod has been neglected.

It is über handy to get the phone w/ playback ability... it's always with you, and it's one device

M

Originally Posted By: soldierman
I've seen the clip but not used one. I have to say I don't have any idea how you could attempt to navigate 2 or more gigs of music with such a small display. I really like the fuze its very small and thin like a ipod nano and still has a full color video screen.

For me it is my audio book collection. I organize them by number and each "song/chapter" is probably 100mb in size, that means only 20 files to navigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back