Royal Purple 5w30 vs Mobil 1 5w30 "esp" formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I write from Italy, and congratulations for this fantastic forum! Sorry my English ...

According to you what is better, Royal Purple 5w30 or Mobil 1 5w30? From 2 years I am using Royal, I am well, but the price here is high 16 euro per liter, then I would try the Mobil 1 ESP that costs less.
Gazie.

Thank you! Unfortunately here in Italy, the Royal is very expensive because not widespread. If it is very good also try the Mobil 1 then in my ford focus!

Royal Purple is known for claiming specs that they don't have validation for as well (you can't "meet or exceed" the spec if you don't take all the tests) - don't know if this sits well with you or not.

Last edited:
Both are very good oils. Either one will work well. If the Mobil is cheaper use it.

**Another very good oil is Pennzoil Platinum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilGuy
Royal Purple is known for claiming specs that they don't have validation for as well (you can't "meet or exceed" the spec if you don't take all the tests) - don't know if this sits well with you or not.

Here in Europe we have the specifications ACEA, the Royal 5w30 for my engine to meet, indeed exceed, always better than the Motorcraft "Formula E" representing the series, after 5-6000 miles is already exhausted
in my opinion. The Royal also has excellent cleaning power.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Both are very good oils. Either one will work well. If the Mobil is cheaper use it.

**Another very good oil is Pennzoil Platinum.

I'd love to try it, I know, but here in Italy is not marketed unfortunately. Here we have many brands of oil, many are good, some sucks, but still the best oils you have them in America!

RP or M1,two excellent oils and if I had to choose,I`d just close my eyes and point. Whichever oil I pointed to would be the one I`d go with :^)

Thank you! This makes me calm, and then try the Mobil 1. I saw that the Mobil1 is also more viscous and a 40 ° c to 100 ° c at the Royal, and should limit consumption of oil when it is hot in summer.

Last edited:
What major brands do you have there?

Here we have many brands, Shell, Mobil, Esso (Exxon Mobil group), Total, Castrol, Fuchs (German), Agip, Elf, BARDAHL, Motorcraft,only in Swiss German or selling Valvoline,these are the most popular, then there are many other much more economic,I always use 100% sint. I do not ever use ... L only oil very very good imported from America and the Royal Purple, Amsoil, however, Pennzoil, Penrite we do not exist. What do you think of BARDAHL, is used by you?
SORRY TO MY BAD ENGLISH, I HELP WITH THE TRANSLATION...

Last edited:
You get Amsoil there but not Pennzoil?

Amsoil is very good oil. How much does it cost there?

Many people like the German Castrol if you can get it there.

Many oil mfg's do that. It is not something only RP does. Both regular name brand oil companies do it as do the boutique oil companies as well. Even when an oil is certified to meet a standard don't take it as set in stone that it does. Castrol GTX was pulled from the GM6094M list for a few months because random testing showed it no longer passed after being certified. Mobil 1 apparantly wasn't meeting the API service level spec's it claimed to be certified to meet. So, what does certified really mean? Certainly it does not mean that the oil you buy will be the same as the oil that was tested.

It is VERY expensive to submit and be tested for every oil standard out there. You don't have to be tested to know if an oil meets or exceeds a test however. Many times because the tests that make up the oil standard are regular oil industry tests already done. All you need to know is what the oil standard requirements are and compare them to the results of testing already done on the oil in question. Royal Purple in this instance.

3 excellent examples of oil standards that are easy to check using standard oil industry test results would be GM6094M, GM4718M, and Chrysler MS6395. There is no reason RP can not claim meets and/or exceeds these standards even though they never submitted for testing. Same for Amsoil, Schaeffers, or Redline as well I have no doubt. If you have a copy of the oil standard you can get the results from testing already done on the oil you are after and see if it does meet/exceed the standard. Certainly an oil company, with any brains, is not going to say it does if it does not.

OE certified means nothing other than the oil company paid the car mfg to be officially tested against the oil standard. It certainly does not make it a better oil than a non tested oil. Cheap conventional oils can be on the GM6094M certified list but does that mean RP, Amsoil, Redline, etc... can not meet/exceed that standard or that the cheap conventional oil is a better oil because it was certified? No, of course not. It saves consumers time if they don't have the ability to look up the standard themselves and find out if an oil meets or exceeds it. Doesn't make the oil better.

To the original poster who started this thread with the question - IMO RP is a better oil than Mobil 1 but if the price difference is significant than the M1 will be fine. Either one is a good choice.

You get Amsoil there but not Pennzoil?

Amsoil is very good oil. How much does it cost there?

Many people like the German Castrol if you can get it there.

Pennzoil and Amsoil know, good oils, but here in Italy do not exist, nobody knows them, shame. Castrol is very expensive, then I prefer the Royal Purple, which is the technical features is also better.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
OilGuy said:
To the original poster who started this thread with the question - IMO RP is a better oil than Mobil 1 but if the price difference is significant than the M1 will be fine. Either one is a good choice.

Very well, thank you. Try the Mobil 1 then it will buy on ebay in Germany, so will spend almost half of Royal. Eheh, Porsche and Mercedes here recommend Mobil 1, then for my Focus goes very well for sure. I only regret that Mobil does not have a good anti-wear additive, such as the Royal Synerlec

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Many oil mfg's do that. It is not something only RP does. Both regular name brand oil companies do it as do the boutique oil companies as well. Even when an oil is certified to meet a standard don't take it as set in stone that it does. Castrol GTX was pulled from the GM6094M list for a few months because random testing showed it no longer passed after being certified. Mobil 1 apparantly wasn't meeting the API service level spec's it claimed to be certified to meet. So, what does certified really mean? Certainly it does not mean that the oil you buy will be the same as the oil that was tested.

It is VERY expensive to submit and be tested for every oil standard out there. You don't have to be tested to know if an oil meets or exceeds a test however. Many times because the tests that make up the oil standard are regular oil industry tests already done. All you need to know is what the oil standard requirements are and compare them to the results of testing already done on the oil in question. Royal Purple in this instance.

3 excellent examples of oil standards that are easy to check using standard oil industry test results would be GM6094M, GM4718M, and Chrysler MS6395. There is no reason RP can not claim meets and/or exceeds these standards even though they never submitted for testing. Same for Amsoil, Schaeffers, or Redline as well I have no doubt. If you have a copy of the oil standard you can get the results from testing already done on the oil you are after and see if it does meet/exceed the standard. Certainly an oil company, with any brains, is not going to say it does if it does not.

OE certified means nothing other than the oil company paid the car mfg to be officially tested against the oil standard. It certainly does not make it a better oil than a non tested oil. Cheap conventional oils can be on the GM6094M certified list but does that mean RP, Amsoil, Redline, etc... can not meet/exceed that standard or that the cheap conventional oil is a better oil because it was certified? No, of course not. It saves consumers time if they don't have the ability to look up the standard themselves and find out if an oil meets or exceeds it. Doesn't make the oil better.

-------------------------------------------------------
So, when an oil company manufactures a lot or batch of motor oil they don't have test data to back up the certifications listed on the container?

Use Mobil 1 with confidence. What I like about Mobil 1 is the ease to find their Specifications and Approvals for any oil they sell. Your engine will live a long life if you choose either product. But if Mobil 1 is cheaper, go with Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
BMW Longlife 04
Mercedes Benz MB-Approval 229.31/229.51
Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504.00 / 507.00
Peugeot Citroen Automobiles E06-N3 / D06-N3

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 72.8
cSt @ 100ºC 12.1
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 164
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.6
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC, ASTM D4683 3.58
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 254
Density @ 15ºC, kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.850

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Use Mobil 1 with confidence. What I like about Mobil 1 is the ease to find their Specifications and Approvals for any oil they sell. Your engine will live a long life if you choose either product. But if Mobil 1 is cheaper, go with Mobil 1.

BMW Longlife 04

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 72.8
cSt @ 100ºC 12.1

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

Eheh ok ok, you convinced me, take Mobil 1!
I saw the characteristics of Royal Purple, the viscosity is lower at the Mobil 1.
ROYAL PURPLE 5w30:
Viscosity:
cSt @ 40 °c 65.3
cSt @ 100 °c 10.6
Viscosity Index 152
Flash point 227°c

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Billy007

BMW Longlife 04

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 72.8
cSt @ 100ºC 12.1

Those are the UK specs for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 which is different than the US Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 according to the US website:

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-30
ILSAC GF-4
API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30

Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 61
cSt @ 100º C 11.0
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 169
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.1
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -48
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.86

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back