Wireless router hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WPA2 is on. I'm not sufficiently incompetent to leave my system unsecured. The security status of my system was not up for debate. I had no trouble setting the AirPort up in a secure manner. So I really don't know why you now start with that?

I just want to know how I COULD conveniently observe someone using my connection (despite it being a relatively secure connection). That's all. I thought my question was relatively clear? If I ask someone, "What date is it?" I don't expect to hear, "It's Tuesday."
21.gif

If WPA2 is on then your wireless connection is secured. From what I read it seems like the only access to your Airport Express is via that utility it came with your airport express. If it doesn't have a way to trace the log, then you can't see who was accessing it.

Even if you have a router that logs DHCP leases, someone can still spoof your MAC address, or hard code your airport's IP address and subnet mask, and those DHCP logs will be useless.

If you are that concerned about security, even with WPA2 turned on, go to a wired connection instead. If you really want to be paranoid and log everything, have a commercial firewall with log turned on, between the cable/dsl modem and your airport (router). I'm afraid you have to either learn a lot about how to use it or hire someone you trust to do it.

It is Saturday, not Tuesday =)

Found it: Designing AirPort Networks 10.5 Windows (Manual) Chapter 3 Airport Network Design

Logging
You can set up your wireless device to log status information to the Mac OS X system log or the Syslog application on a Windows computer. This is helpful for understanding problems and monitoring a device’s performance.

To set up logging:

1 Open AirPort Utility, select your wireless device, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu, or double-click the device icon to open its configuration in a separate window. Enter the password if necessary.

2 Click the Advanced button, and then click Logging and SNMP.

3 Enter the IP address of the computer that will receive the logs in the Syslog Destination Address field.

4 Choose a level from the Syslog Level pop-up menu. You need to assign a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server for each wireless device, so the log information will contain the accurate time of the status logs.

To set the time automatically:

1 Open AirPort Utility, select your wireless device, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu, or double-click the device icon to open its configuration in a separate window. Enter the password if necessary.

2 Click the AirPort button, and then click Base Station.

3 Select the “Set time automatically” checkbox, and then choose an NTP server from the pop-up menu if you have access to one on your network or on the Internet.

If you click “Logs and Statistics” you can view and export logs, and view wireless client and DHCP client information.

If you export the logs, use the Mac OS X Console application, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Mac, or in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a Windows computer, to view the logs on the computer receiving them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
If WPA2 is on then your wireless connection is secured.

I know it's secure. I said so, remember? I'm not concerned. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHERE TO FIND THE LOGS -- and by now I found out. Access to the logs is buried and without knowing where to look for it it's pretty much a hopeless affair. Luckily I found it via the "Help" index. It's the same thing you found out. I just absolutely hate dealing with [censored] like that.

monitoring_dhcp.jpg

After several days with messing with my wireless router settings, for some reason, I have to let 5 maximum users to allow both my wireless desktop and wifi laptop connect. The default router setting is up to 10 wireless users. As stated earlier, 3 maximum users and I get "little to no connectivity" I checked the DHCP reservation, they list both my wireless mac addresses even though they turned off. but they are listed for 24 hours? I don't have any game consoles, iphones, or wireless printer servers.

Last edited:

TKIP is crackable, although probably not easily enough to render it unsuitable for day-to-day home use. WPA2 AES is still very secure...

I only got WPA, not WPA2 because the wifi card in my work laptop only allows up to WPA. I don't have administrator rights to upgrade the driver for the intel wifi card to get up to WPA2 security. I asked about it, they told me that is what my VPN is for.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

TKIP is crackable, although probably not easily enough to render it unsuitable for day-to-day home use. WPA2 AES is still very secure...

The only uncrackable encryption out there is one time pad, but as we all know it is not very useful as the key is as long as the data.

I don't think anyone worry about about the security of WPA2 should be using wireless connection or a firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back