GM 3.8L oil filter mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know whether the oil filter mount is simply a casted part of the engine block, or whether it's bolted to the block, in which a gasket would be used.

On our Olds 88, there is an oil leak around the oil filter area.

It does either have a front or rear main seal leak as well, so maybe it's worsened to the point it's draining down the filter.

Thanks.

Good question. I want to say its casted into the block, as 'most' are, but now that I think about the shape/placement of it, it could be mounted. I'd still bet the oil leak is a RMS leak that is getting worse.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Are you sure it's not the oil filter itself?

Yes, it's not the filter.

I found out it in fact does have an oil filter adapter and the pressure sensor screws into the adapter. So it's either the adapter gasket or the sensor.

I have 96 Le Sabre with the 3.8. The oil pressure
switch started leaking really bad. There was oil
all over the place. Tried several aftermarket switches and
ended up getting the GM OE switch before it worked
right. The Oil was running down in the area of the
filter. First thing I tried was replacing the filter.
Look at the switch through the fender well and see if
it is leaking.

In the FWD's w/ the fuel injected "3800" style 3.8's there is an oil filter adapter gasket in there. I am not as sure if its one of the older carb'd. 231's used in RWD cars.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: tig1
Are you sure it's not the oil filter itself?

Yes, it's not the filter.

I found out it in fact does have an oil filter adapter and the pressure sensor screws into the adapter. So it's either the adapter gasket or the sensor.

They must've changed it a bit. In the 3.8L, the oil pressure switch is in a threaded hole in the block right behind the front cover.

The oil filter adaptor/cooler is screwed onto the front cover and uses an o-ring.

Are you sure the FWD cars are not like this?

Well, after jacking her up as high as I could and wedging my fat [censored] under, it's not the filter adapter gasket or the pressure switch.

Most likely, it's the oil pan gasket. One of my parents hit something, most notably a rock, on the dirt road that goes to our cabin up in the mountains. There's a huge dent in the front subframe rail and the oil pan. It's been that way for at least 150K and I've always noticed seepage, but never even a drop on the ground. Apparently the seepage has progressed.

Screw it, it still doesn't even drop a full quart in 4K to 5K oil change intervals, so I'm just going to forget it (unless it turns into a full on gusher).

In all honesty, it could still be the rear crank seal.

I've seen plenty of cars, to include my Dad's Blazer, with rear crank seal leaks that coat the entire underside of the engine, and yet the oil level only drops about a quart every 5K.

For a car worth only $2,000 bucks that runs like it has 1/4 of the mileage (Olds has 170,000 miles), I can live with that.

Last edited:
For a car worth only $2,000 bucks that runs like it has 1/4 of the mileage (Olds has 170,000 miles), I can live with that.

I hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back