Amsoil Powerfoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered 3 cans to try and clean up the cc on my 93 Chevy 1500 with a 305, 157000 miles.
The directions online indicate to spray down the intake, wondering if it may also be beneficial to remove spark plugs and apply it directly into the cylinders.
I figure if I do both at once, it will clean the intake system and cc.
Thoughts?

This is some of the best stuff I've ever tried. It just melts away baked on carbon/calcium deposits. Make sure you let it sit and work for a bit after application.

You're right, the absolute best way to get this stuff full strength right where it counts is to spray down each plug hole directly on top of each piston. It's much easier to simply spray into the intake, but it gets diluted a bit that way.

I plan on using mine like this. Spray the intake, let it sit then run the car. After everything is cooled off remove the plugs spray inside the cyl's, let is sit a few hrs. Then turn the engine over, re-apply, put everything together, and let it soak over night. Run the car in the morning and change the oil,

Originally Posted By: cronk
wondering if it may also be beneficial to remove spark plugs and apply it directly into the cylinders.
Thoughts?

Good idea for 4 cylinder engines because piston tops are level. I'd skip that step on a "V" engine. On that model can you crank the motor without running it to pull Powerfoam into cc's?

Are you going to clean intake valves with Powerfoam, or a gas tank additive?

I was actualy a little dissapointed with this stuff, your milage may very.
Wear gloves when you use this stuff, it smells absolutly evil.
it also makes a lot of smoke when you spray it in a running engine. Finaly, take care not to hydrolock the engine if you spray the stuff down the spark plug holes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Where does all the dirt etc go when you spray the Powerfoan into the intake manifold?

the same place it would have gone if it weren't stuck to the manifold.

I want to try and expose everything to the foam that I can.
I want to run some through the intake while running. Then I might unhook the coil and spray some through while cranking, then take the plugs out and spray directly in the cylinders.
The previous owner of this truck didn't do much for maintenance so I would like to give it the most thorough cleaning that I can.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Where does all the dirt etc go when you spray the Powerfoan into the intake manifold?

Well I think as the foam changes to a liquid it goes where gravity takes it, so hopefully it ends up next to some intake valves. What do you think happens?

I like to spray it through the open throttle butterfly until the intake is completely filled with foam, then bump the engine over to get some sucked down into the cylinders. I let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then start it and take it for a drive. I seem to get more bang for my buck when I do it this way than when I spray it into a running engine.

Originally Posted By: gofastman

it also makes a lot of smoke when you spray it in a running engine. Finaly, take care not to hydrolock the engine if you spray the stuff down the spark plug holes.

...and if you have a modern computer controlled engine, you will throw a bunch of error codes and will need a computer reset.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

...and if you have a modern computer controlled engine, you will throw a bunch of error codes and will need a computer reset.

Well it depends. I've sprayed a bunch in the intake of my car such that when I took it for a drive to blow it out I fogged the whole neighborhood. It chugged and ran rough and stalled a couple times. The CEL even came on for a couple seconds. Once the foam cleared from the intake and I ran it a higher speed for a few minutes everything was fine: no CEL and the engine ran smoothly; I didn't have to do anything else to the car.

I ran it through today. I ran some through the throttle while running, ran about 1 can through this way, it smoked pretty good.
Then I shut off the engine, unhooked the coil wire and filled the intake as much as I could. I then cranked the engine over a few times to suck it into the cylinders, I did this about 3 times to make sure all cylinders got a good amount drawn in. I let it soak for about a half an hour and took it for a hard drive. I couldn't see out the rear window for about 1/2 a mile. I think it helped, because it idled rough before the treatment, and now seems to idle much more smoothly

I think it's kind of similar to Seafoam, but in a spray can.

The stuff flat works on carbon parts stuff. Works well as a tune up in a can. AKA Italian Tune Up.
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: gofastman

Depends on the car - if the engine controls use MAP to monitor air flow like older Honda, some Ford/GM/Chrysler, and other cars you're fine. On MAF based controls, you can run off TPS in some cases but you'll throw a bad MAF code. On older Bosch L-Jet based systems using flaps as the flow sensing device, the car won't run - since there's a dead man's switch to turn the fuel pump relay power supply on or off in the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back