DSL connect...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to DSL.

Here is what I have, tell me what I need.

Two rooms, two computers. New Vista Dell working great w/Verizon DSL modem. Old computer has a Ethernet plug w/ led on it but no installed modem except v92 56k...whatever.

In addition to the DSL modem, I have a wireless G router sitting in a box.

So, my options seem to be...

25 foot ethernet cable? To go from router/DSL modem on new computer to old computer, game over.

Another DSL modem?

A wireless USB...a better investment since I already have a modem and router, I can use it in the future and I don't need a perfect connection on the old computer, wireless is ok.

Which is best or cheapest?

The best is a wired connection, the cheapest can be either depending on what deals you can find.
wink.gif

I would just do it wirelessly. You can find inexpensive USB Wireless adapters for like $12 if you watch for the deals.

Considering the prices they charge for a 25' Cat5e cable at Best Buy, I'd get a cheapo PCI wireless card for the old machine for about $25 and call it a day. Reception should be fine if you're not going through a couple concrete walls.

Originally Posted By: tropic
Considering the prices they charge for a 25' Cat5e cable at Best Buy, I'd get a cheapo PCI wireless card for the old machine for about $25 and call it a day. Reception should be fine if you're not going through a couple concrete walls.

http://www.monoprice.com

You can get a very good wireless (PCI) card for under $20. I have a few computers in the house and they work great with them.

I go from the middle floor to basement with full signal and full speed.

No need for wires.

You can have only 1 DSL Modem. Then comes the router.

Take care, Bill

1) You cannot connect 2 DSL modem to the same DSL line, it won't work.

2) You can get very cheap long CAT 5 cable if you don't mind cosmetic, that will give you the best reliability, security, and speed. I used to do that in college and have a coax cable (before the Ethernet hub/swith is less than $200) that connect 7 computer to a modem, works great until Comcast cut the cable.

3) Get a wireless NIC (PCI or USB) and call it a day. If reception isn't good, buy a repeater / ranger extender / or modify a hackable router into a repeater and put it in between, problem solved.

I've just gone through this this week and with the help from the smart guy's on this site my 2nd computer is up and running.
banana2.gif

like said above just get a cheap CPI wireless adaper to install
in your puter easy to do i got this one here that i installed worked
great windows picked it up didn't even need the install CD.

It seems obvious now, wireless is the way to go. Comp 2 is not convenient to route a cable. Connect speed is not critical.

I understand that 2 modems would not work, they would interfere.

I was worried about using the router because I lost the CD, but will try anyway. Thanks.

Speed will NOT be any problem. (really)

Just go to the web site and download the latest software.

Also, don't use any "wizards" to set up the router, most of the time they set it up wrong and mess with your system.

Take care, Bill

PS: The card that Daman linked above is a good card. I've used a few of those along with the Rosewill with external antenna.
thumbsup2.gif

I throw that Router CD right into the trash anyways, so no worry.

If wireless signal is not strong enough, get a repeater or a router that can be hacked into a repeater. If you haven't gotten a router yet, try out the 802.11n draft, their multiple antenna design really helps improving the range, not so much on the speed. My connection to neighbor was not great in the past but after my n upgrade, it never drop a packet even in a storm.

I seem to be getting great speed and signal strength,the antenna is a high gain omni directional,works so good i turned my router out put power down to 10 Mw from 251 max.

Originally Posted By: daman
I seem to be getting great speed and signal strength,the antenna is a high gain omni directional,works so good i turned my router out put power down to 10 Mw from 251 max.
Smart!

No need to transmit with the full power. I do the same *if* the unit allows you to adjust the output. (My one Dlink card does not)

The cards that come with the antenna on a cable are really great performers.

The router is working without any stress. I just plugged it in. So, all I have to do is grab a wirelss card and bingo.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: daman
Smart!

No need to transmit with the full power. I do the same *if* the unit allows you to adjust the output. (My one Dlink card does not)

The cards that come with the antenna on a cable are really great performers.

Not only that, the optimal signal to noise ratio rarely come from a transmitter running at max.

Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Adapter installed and seems to be working pretty well. The config was spooky, I just kept hammering at it and the thing finally submitted. The whole DSL system seems obvious now, but starting from scratch and 15 years of dial-up, it's easy to mix up the parts. I made the basic error of wanting to use 2 DSL modems, but that's how you do it w/dial up!

I think the compact USB adapter was the best "investment" for now. I just had no experience with them or the router. The router was sitting in a box leftover a year from when my Mom got a labtop from Dell, and Verizon DSL supplied her w/ another router and you know how Dell is about returns...even though they said, Oh get it, rather than the better advice of waiting for your ISP to supply one.

I've had a desktop since 1985 but no high-speed, lol.

btw- the "old" computer was bought used 4-5 years ago and had a ton of extra parts in it that were premium at the time like 2 DVD burners and network card. Huge HD for the time. Problem is the store did a pirate Win XP install. It functions well after the Genuine Windows warning screens came along after a year or so. The store also put Opera and Nero on it and other too but I did not use the machine to it's potential partky because of dial-up. Funny when I finally logged it on the Verizon DSL it cleaned up a LOT of the errors and extreme delays in opening windows and stuff. I'm shure Verizon tweaked it for me.

This new Dell from a year ago is nice and was cheap. I mostly got it as an excuse to get a new monitor, this is a 22". I like to buy a nice monitor with it in mind that I will use it for the next desktop as well.

Vista gives me no problems either. That's the irony. To buy new clean Windows XP for the old computer would be like $100 etc etc, but it was better to put the money toward a new machine that was only a few hundred. Funny, my friends who bought expensive computers really got burned in the long-run. $3000+ is crazy for a PC. Starting fresh for a few hundered is priceless. This Dell is compact and quiet. Sounds like a commercial but it's true and it looks nice too. Solid as well!

Funny, but it is also nice to use that old computer still. My woman has it all to herself w/ the wireless. No more musical chairs. Thanks again.

I love hi-speed internet. Even my 512mbit cell card on the company laptop is SO SLOW.

Once you've had good hi-speed connections, it really is hard to go back.

I remember getting a US Robotics HST modem way back when. Being able to download 1meg file in 10 mins was amazing.

Now, I'm about 500 times as quick at home. At least I don't sit here and say I wish it was faster....

Enjoy the DSL!

Bill

PS: I've bought 3 Dell laptops plus 1 desk top last year. 2 with Vista and love them all. Nice fast well built units.
01.gif

Last edited:
I haven't used dialup since 2002. I pay $42/month for comcast broadband for internet. Since my wife and I share the broadband connection with our wireless router, it's a good value for us. Before we dumped AOL, AOL was almost $30/month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back