1997 Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the oil change time is approaching....

I don't know what oil is in there now, having recently bought the car, but these are what I have available to me..

Total Ineo 5w-30 (about 6 euro per quart)
Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 (about 8 euro per quart, IIRC)
Castrol Edge TD 5w-40 (14 euro per quart, but will get a discount on this)

Any opinions on the better oil out of these? I'd be inclined to go for a 5w-40 for the better shock rotection of the bearings, but I'm sure the Turbo likes the thinner oil...

For those that don't know this engine: It's a 2.4 liter 5 cilinder 10v engine, with turbo. Power output 136 bhp and 310 Nm torque.

The EGR valve has been disabled. There's no catalytic converter, so no need to protect it...

My daily commute is a whopping 5 miles, which means the coolant barely gets up to temp, but occasionally I use the car for longer distances and it gets driven hard then....

better get some sleep now, I've been reading up on this section of the forum half the night already....

Don't know anything about your Alfa, but I'm sure someone on here will know something about it.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The EGR valve has been disabled. There's no catalytic converter, so no need to protect it...

Don't get caught, Jean-Claude!

rotella 5w-40 is very harde to come by, only in 5 gallon drums I think....

I used Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 before, but this was in petrol engined alfas..

Moribundnam: The car exceeds the emmision requirements that apply to it. You'd need a sharp eye anyway to notice the disabled EGR...

Is it a 156?
Well,I believe the factory-fill must have been the Italian Selenia 10w-40 semisynthetic ACEA A3/B3.I don`t think a 1997 Common-Rail diesel would be happy with a SAE 30 oil(and some of the INEO`s have HTHS What`s the price of the local stuff(Fina First 400 5w-40)?
Other oils that suit the apllication:
Elf Excellium NF 5w-40
ESSO Ultron 5w-40=Mobil Synt S 5w-40
LM Synthoil Hi-Tech 5w-40
Motul X-cess 8100 5w-40
Mobil 1 0w-40
BP Visco 7000
..or agian Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40...

it's a 156 indeed. And factoy fill should've been Selenia... the car was serviced at an alfa dealer at least until 120k miles, now it has about 135k on it...

Not many stores carry the Fina products, and tbh I wonder how different they are from Total or Elf... Also I have no Idea about the quality of Fina products.

Think the Valvolyne synpower is the best deal I can get, excluding the Ineo.

My experiences with Quartz 9000 in peugeot common rail engines are questionable to say the least... which is why we moved to offering 5w-30 (long story) at the dealership

Cool!
Well,AFAIK most of Fina products are identical to ELF`s,just different bottles and labels.
PSA offers 5w-30 ACEA A5/B5 oils as backward-compatible with older CR engines,but I am not willing to test...

We put these in all CR engines... so far so good...

So a 5w-40 or 0w-40 would be best for my car. I think we have a full drum (200l) quartz 9000 5w-40 left over at work, so could fill her up with that. should work out cheaper that way. But which is better?

From the little I've read, Amsoil and Mobil1 seem to be the preferred brands here, and I see a lot of people like German Castrol also... Edge should be even better.......

Anyway, checked the oil level today, didn't drop since the last refill, only fluid needing topping was the windscreen washers
cool.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back