2 steps forward, one step back

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's about how I feel with these tire pressure monitoring systems.

The one on our Impala reads about 1 or 2 psi low, and now 2 of the sensors have gone bad.
mad.gif

It's still under warranty, but if these sensors keep dying like everyone says they do on a routine basis, then I'm gonna say screw it and put some duct tape over the dash where it says fix the stupid TPMS!

only thing i think its good for is for detecting slow leaks between pressure checks which can become dangerous over a period of days.

pressure checks should be the first line of defence.

if i check pressure on sunday, get a slow puncture on monday, i could be driving on 15 psi by friday even if i check weekly.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
if i check pressure on sunday, get a slow puncture on monday, i could be driving on 15 psi by friday even if i check weekly.

A visual check would be all it takes to alert you to a tire with 15psi.

Originally Posted By: John_K
I just feel like these things are more cr*p to break. Can't people check the air in their tires?

John

They can but sadly most probably don't. Also I doubt most even probably pay attention to the TPMS in their cars.

Three of them have failed in my Monte Carlo, and since the bumper-to-bumper warranty just expired two days ago, I expect the 4th to follow suit soon. If another fails I may just pull them out and shut the system off, depending on what they cost.

I think in our state, PA, you need to have them operative to pass state inspection if the car is so equipped.

Isn't TPMS yet another glorious feature that our wonderful government foisted upon us, mainly because people in their Explorers couldn't be bothered with checking their tire pressure at least once a year?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Isn't TPMS yet another glorious feature that our wonderful government foisted upon us, mainly because people in their Explorers couldn't be bothered with checking their tire pressure at least once a year?

Indeed. You can roll up to most any tire shops, especially chain shops like Discount Tire, and they'll check and fill your tires for free.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That's about how I feel with these tire pressure monitoring systems.

The one on our Impala reads about 1 or 2 psi low, and now 2 of the sensors have gone bad.
mad.gif

It's still under warranty, but if these sensors keep dying like everyone says they do on a routine basis, then I'm gonna say screw it and put some duct tape over the dash where it says fix the stupid TPMS!

Have you had different tires put on the car? You have to be pretty careful with those rims so as not to damage the sensors. If you have put different tires on, my hunch is the shop might have damaged them.

Indeed new tires were put on, but that was 5,000 miles ago. Still, I guess you might be right and the senors were damaged.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Is there a way to shut the system off?

at least with ford, no. the dealers have been warned by corporate that we face fines up to $10,000 for every vehicle that we disable the system on.

that being said, we have seen vehicles with aftermarket wheels with all the sensors in the spare tire.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

that being said, we have seen vehicles with aftermarket wheels with all the sensors in the spare tire.

HA! I was just reading about that...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Are they less likely to break sitting in the spare?

Heck, do the sensors even need to be inside a tire?

Originally Posted By: John_K
I just feel like these things are more cr*p to break. Can't people check the air in their tires?

John

You can blame the gov't for TPM's. But yeah, nobody maintains there cars anymore except for us here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

A visual check would be all it takes to alert you to a tire with 15psi.

For us, that's true...but to the avg person out there they can't tell the difference because radial tires do look properly inflated down to about 15-20lbs. No substitute for a gauge.

Yep. Typical gov't thinks they can legislate and regulate stupity.

Last edited:
I can easily tell a tire with 20 psi or under. Spotted many tires that way in my family that had nails in them.

Plus, I at least can feel it. That side of the car will get very wallowy over bumps with low pressure, like the spring rate was cut in half.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Yep. Typical gov't thinks they can legislate and regulate stupity.

Yep.

I don't know. I check the tire pressure in all our cars pretty regularly, in addition to a visual check whenever I get in my car. My car does not have a TPMS, but my GF's car does any honestly I think I'm glad since she certainly doesn't do a visual check on every drive. If she runs over a nail and doesn't notice, I'd rather have a dash light come on than not.

Of course, I haven't had to pay to replace anything related to the TPMS yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back