DIY viscosity test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a comparison only take oils at SAME temp and put in a small container (same amount) with a small hole drilled in bottom and messure time to dain completly out. as a comparion using same temp and same volume of oil you can compare time to "drian' amnd get a very ruff idea of vis compared to EACH other.

otherwise other than haveing a full on vis machine NO way to test at home or send to me I will run vis for you FREE.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
as a comparison only take oils at SAME temp and put in a small container (same amount) with a small hole drilled in bottom and messure time to dain completly out. as a comparion using same temp and same volume of oil you can compare time to "drian' amnd get a very ruff idea of vis compared to EACH other.

Very clever. . . .

I have tried a falling ball viscosity tester at home. It is basically a glass tube with a few different density balls. You fill it with oil and time how long it takes for the ball to drop between the lines. Oil temperature is critical for the test.

It was pretty messy to use and good for clean oil only. My wife didn't appreciate it when I started using her stove and some pots full of boiling water to do some tests at 100C.
LOL.gif

I was able to get results close to the 100C specs on virgin oils that were known.

With used motor oil you can't see the ball very good and particles in the oil can cause the ball to hang up.

I used it to check the viscosity of some unknown oil from an air compressor.

PM me and I will sell it to you cheap, if you are interested.

I always wondered if you could make a "homemade" Timken-type lubricity tester. It`d be a fun lil home project to do to play around with some different oils.

Last edited:
Yes, there are a variety of ways you could test viscosity at home, but as noted above, it is critical to control temperature. You also need to give the oil time to come to the controled temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back