Routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, you can either do it yourself or pay somebody. Your local lowes/home depot would have what you need to make it. If you want to purchase, call around local computer shops. I'm sure they could make custom lengths for a fair price.

Originally Posted By: daman
I would rather have it hard wired vs signal,can you cut to lenght
and have ends put on? or they sell in pieces?

I found the cable and ends cheaper at the electrical supply house than Lowes. You can even crimp them by hand, but a crimping tool is cheap. Mine came from Harbor Freight. The worst part is sorting out the 8 tiny wires and getting all 8 in the right spot at the same time. It is easy to pull wires through interior walls if you have unfinished areas above or below.

Buy wall plates and you can cut decent to work through holes in the dry wall. I ran some cables in my church too. think a house is tough to keep up? Try a church. For a house, usually you only have to please one women.

can you cut to lenght
and have ends put on? or they sell in pieces?

Yes, you can do that, but for $7.25 you can get a 75ft Cat5e patch cable from monoprice.com. Of course, having nice wall plates, like the other poster described, would look much more professional.

Years ago I did a low tech install of Cat5e cable. I bought 100 ft with ends attached on Ebay. I just cut the cable which allowed me to have a smooth end to fish through hole in the floor a cable installer already made. I spliced it in the garage. This is not the recommended method, but I have never had problems.

A good crimp tool is about $10 and I always cut my cable to exact length when running across room under the carpet. I found using a screw driver to crimp as people on the net done to be very difficult and unreliable.

Just make sure you use RJ45 ends designed for solid cable if you are using solid cable.

If you don't, the connection will randomly stop working sooner or later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Use WPA-PSK if you do choose wireless.

I can crack WEP in 5 minutes flat.

these are my choices what one should i use?

wpa pesonal
wpa enterprise
wpa2 personal
wpa2 enterprise
wpa2personal mix
wpa2enterprise mix
radius
wep

i know not wep,that s what it's showing for choices

Originally Posted By: Quest
Thanks for the info sounds like the Linksys WRT54G router is a good one,shoot for one of thos for a beginner?

Please be careful: It's WRT54GL (linux version, with lots of open source firmware avail) and not the ordinary "G" version (unless you can find an older ver.1 ~3, which while it's loaded with more than enough memory for hackers to play with firmware, the shortfall is, these versions are, by and large, at least 4+yrs older version and already long out of warranty.

The WRT54G series is a bit of a tradeoff, depending on the wireless needs. The earlier versions did have better hardware and memory builds, but the later ones have more robust RF transmitters. The earliest ones used PCM card transmitters that would burn up quickly if tweaked with 3rd party firmware.

I've used several in this series. And while out of production, the Ver 4 I think offers the best overall balance of features and performance.

I had bad luck with a Linksys 802.11G wireless router, but have had good luck with my Netgear 802.11 Draft-N Gigabit wireless router (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood though).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1387704#Post1387704

$30 shipped after rebate.

sorry no i got my router in the mail today(above post) and set it up what security setting to ues?,i used wpa personal.

WPA should be fine. WEP can be cracked in ~10 minutes by someone driving by with a laptop. Just understand that the newer, more sophisticated encryption methods will cause a slight reduction in speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back