Thinking of getting Vonage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about magicjack? I have heard about it before. $40 for the first year? then $20 every year after? unlimited local and local distance calls? I may actually dump voipyourlife $24 a month VOIP service which has been excellent for two years.

magicJack works pretty well. If you don't mind leaving your computer on 24/7, it is tough to beat. To truly compute the cost, you need to factor in the fact your PC will be on 24/7.

Trust me, you will experience some growing pains, but overall, for $20 a year, it is worth it.

Originally Posted By: labman
Mine is anyhow. Is it available for Debian?

There have been reports that is works fine with VMWare on Linux. As I mentioned earlier, I use an HP Thin Client that runs Windows XP embedded and it works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Badlees
http://www.wehatevonage.com/pain.php

smirk2.gif

It's Internet.

I have had Vonage for at least 5 years now. No major problems. Had one issue after 3 years, called Cust svc, the did a bandwith adjustment, no more issues. I am happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
magicJack works pretty well. If you don't mind leaving your computer on 24/7, it is tough to beat. To truly compute the cost, you need to factor in the fact your PC will be on 24/7.

Trust me, you will experience some growing pains, but overall, for $20 a year, it is worth it.

I'm really considering dumping my VOIP for magicjack. I would save almost $300/year. I checked my caller ID, I only received 8 phone calls for the month of February. I talk to my dad once a week long distance. So I'm not a heavy phone user. Since you need your computer on to have it work, I'm pretty much on the computer all the time anyway after work. I do have a prepaid cell phone that I hardly use for emergencies and in case any one of my family members need to call me which is rarely. I usually just email them. I'll have to ask my wife before I dump the VOIP though. One of the positives, I read that Magicjack has a gateway in Nashville so I may get excellent phone quality here.

With Magic Jack you don't need to keep your computer running all the time, just when you are making outgoing calls... You can have your incoming calls redirected to a different phone number of your choice FREE of charge even if it's in a different area code than your Magic Jack. I have mine forwarded to my Canadian phone number so I can shut down the computer but still receive phone calls from my brother in Boston... It's a great system and works well, even over my Microwave internet... Can't tell it's a VOIP!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
With Magic Jack you don't need to keep your computer running all the time, just when you are making outgoing calls... You can have your incoming calls redirected to a different phone number of your choice FREE of charge even if it's in a different area code than your Magic Jack. I have mine forwarded to my Canadian phone number so I can shut down the computer but still receive phone calls from my brother in Boston... It's a great system and works well, even over my Microwave internet... Can't tell it's a VOIP!

I agree and that is a nice feature. However, for people that are cutting costs and only want one phone, they will need to keep their computer on, or else not have a dial tone. That was the point I was trying to make.

We did shut down the computer at night and forward our calls to our cell phones prior to purchasing a thin client.

my wife is skeptical. But I think I'll get the product, try it for a week, before I cancel my VOIP service. I've been watching youtube videos of people showing how their magicjack works. It seems to work well. like you guys said, just forward your phone calls when the computer is off. I think I'll forward it to my cell while I'm work.

We have Vonage for a couple of years now, No problems. Comes to 32$ after taxes and all that. We have the stand alone box that plugs in to the router, router is Linksys WRT54G, Toshiba cable modem, and roadrunner high speed. VC is sharp and clear.

I have used Vonage for several years now without any issues. I recently purchased a V-Portal kit with 3 handsets for $80 from Circuit City. This kit normally sells for $160+, but my local Circuit City store had it marked 50% off during their going out of business sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back