ATF Recomendation for 93 chevy c1500 4L60E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do a complete flush on my truck and was looking for fluid recommendations. I was thinking Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Amalie Universal Synthetic ATF.
The price on the Amalie seems pretty good $48 for a case of 12 qts and free shipping on orders over $40.
My local Advance auto parts had the Maxlife for $20 per gallon.

Never heard of Amalie, my '93 4L80E has Maxlife in it now, running great w/6000 on the ATF, 136,000 on the transmission-check for rebates & deals on the Maxlife-Valvoline usually has some deal going somewhere. Valvoline also told me via email that Maxlife is a full synthetic ATF as well.

Last edited:
Get a REAL licensed DEXRON-VI ATF and you will be fine. The licensed products are controlled for quality and authenticity whereas the unlicensed products are pretty much a 'roll of the dice' since they don't have to answer to anyone apart from themselves.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Get a REAL licensed DEXRON-VI ATF and you will be fine. The licensed products are controlled for quality and authenticity whereas the unlicensed products are pretty much a 'roll of the dice' since they don't have to answer to anyone apart from themselves.

+1 and the prices are very competitive with the DEXIII? or multi vehicle brands out there.

I flushed my '96 Roadmaster Wagon with GM Vehicle Care Dex VI almost 2 years ago now and I'm quite happy with it. It also has the 4L60E trans. I'd use any brand licensed Dex VI but I got the best deal on the GM branded fluid.

I use Petro-Canada Dex3-H ATF in my 1997 Suburban with the 4L60E, I have over 290,000kms on mine and have never had an issue or even a variation in trans performance since I got it. It performs very well even at -40C(-40F). Very affordable as well. Petro Canada has the contract to supply GM with Dex6 ATF as far as I know. I do a pan drain every other year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk
I want to do a complete flush on my truck and was looking for fluid recommendations. I was thinking Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Amalie Universal Synthetic ATF.
The price on the Amalie seems pretty good $48 for a case of 12 qts and free shipping on orders over $40.

Amalie makes decent fluids but nothing special. I used to sell it and it was ok. I would take the Valvoline over Amalie. No need to go buy a "certified" Dex VI fluid for your vehicle. Any multi vehicle fluid listing the appropriate version of Dex for your applicationwill be just fine.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Any multi vehicle fluid listing the appropriate version of Dex for your applicationwill be just fine.

I do not agree. Many producers have 'dumbed down' their formulations back to earlier and less robust quality levels. Also the 'multi vehicle' fluid producers have no independently supervised testing or regulated approval system to back up their claims.

I can get the dex VI from the chevy dealer I work at for about $18 per gallon. Is the GM fluid a synthetic blend?
I see Valvoline dex VI is full synthetic, Mobil is a blend.
If the GM fluid is good I'll get 3 or 4 gallons and do a full flush.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Any multi vehicle fluid listing the appropriate version of Dex for your applicationwill be just fine.

I do not agree. Many producers have 'dumbed down' their formulations back to earlier and less robust quality levels. Also the 'multi vehicle' fluid producers have no independently supervised testing or regulated approval system to back up their claims.

You have made it abundantly clear that you only approve of OEM certified fluids. We all get that. It is fine. That is your opinion and you have a right to it. Millions upon millions of trucks and cars on the road however are running non OEM certified fluids and these mutli use ATF fluids for years without problems. How do you explain that if it is so dangerous to do as you claim? How do you explain the way people see improved transmission performance with these aftermarket fluids vs the OE( when the right one is selected obviously )?

If it is such a bad idea to run these fluids, and the fluid mfg's have "dumbed down" universal trannny fluid to the point it won't cover these various fluids as you are always claiming, especially an old Dex ATF like the OP would run in his 93 GM truck, then the stuff should not be sold at all. I am sorry but I find comments like that to be without foundation. It would make NO sense for that to actually take place. If these universalt ATF's were as bad as you claim then there would be tranny failures all over the place and that just is not happening.

I am all for quality fluids and making sure you use the right stuff but this blind devotion you have to only using OE certified fluids just makes no sense to me. Every time a Dex ATF post comes up you jump in with only use the new OE Dex VI fluid. I mean come on man. People who have trannys calling for Dex III or earlier have a HUGE array of time tested fluids to chose from besides OE certified Dex VI which their vehicles never came with.

I know it is the new Dex formula from GM and is backwards compatible but there are countless aftermarket fluids that are better that have shown to work great in Dex applications. Use Dex VI where it is called for, or if you only want to run a OE Dex fluid sure but to say it is the only smart/safe choice is ludicrous. The fluid mfg's would not list a fluid application on the bottle unless it truly covered it. Not unless they wanted a HUGE class action law suit when their fluid started causing failures.

I think you tend to give way too much credit to the quality of OE fluids and give a lot less credit to the quality of aftermarket fluids than they deserve. OE fluids are "ok" but they are seldom the top of the line and best available product in my experience. Nothing wrong with using them certainly but there is also nothing wrong with using aftermarket quality products either. Especially in 16 year old vehicles long out of warranty.

You have made it abundantly clear that you only approve of OEM certified fluids. We all get that. It is fine. That is your opinion and you have a right to it. Millions upon millions of trucks and cars on the road however are running non OEM certified fluids and these mutli use ATF fluids for years without problems. How do you explain that if it is so dangerous to do as you claim? How do you explain the way people see improved transmission performance with these aftermarket fluids vs the OE( when the right one is selected obviously )?

If it is such a bad idea to run these fluids, and the fluid mfg's have "dumbed down" universal trannny fluid to the point it won't cover these various fluids as you are always claiming, especially an old Dex ATF like the OP would run in his 93 GM truck, then the stuff should not be sold at all. I am sorry but I find comments like that to be without foundation. It would make NO sense for that to actually take place. If these universalt ATF's were as bad as you claim then there would be tranny failures all over the place and that just is not happening.

I am all for quality fluids and making sure you use the right stuff but this blind devotion you have to only using OE certified fluids just makes no sense to me. Every time a Dex ATF post comes up you jump in with only use the new OE Dex VI fluid. I mean come on man. People who have trannys calling for Dex III or earlier have a HUGE array of time tested fluids to chose from besides OE certified Dex VI which their vehicles never came with.

I know it is the new Dex formula from GM and is backwards compatible but there are countless aftermarket fluids that are better that have shown to work great in Dex applications. Use Dex VI where it is called for, or if you only want to run a OE Dex fluid sure but to say it is the only smart/safe choice is ludicrous. The fluid mfg's would not list a fluid application on the bottle unless it truly covered it. Not unless they wanted a HUGE class action law suit when their fluid started causing failures.

I think you tend to give way too much credit to the quality of OE fluids and give a lot less credit to the quality of aftermarket fluids than they deserve. OE fluids are "ok" but they are seldom the top of the line and best available product in my experience. Nothing wrong with using them certainly but there is also nothing wrong with using aftermarket quality products either. Especially in 16 year old vehicles long out of warranty.

How do you explain the way people see improved transmission performance with these after-market fluids vs the OE I seriously doubt anyone sees improved transmission performance with the after-market fluids in the long-term. Now then, they might see short-term perceived 'improvements' in characteristics such as ECCC shudder but, unless that is carefully balanced with shift-clutch requirements, in the long-term that perceived improvement could be detrimental to overall transmission life ~ particularly if they're the sort of people who are towing heavy boats or trailers.

If it is such a bad idea to run these fluids, and the fluid mfg's have "dumbed down" universal trannny fluid to the point it won't cover these various fluids as you are always claiming, especially an old Dex ATF like the OP would run in his 93 GM truck, then the stuff should not be sold at all. I am sorry but I find comments like that to be without foundation. It would make NO sense for that to actually take place. If these universalt ATF's were as bad as you claim then there would be tranny failures all over the place and that just is not happening. ~ Now then, my claims are not unfounded. It is known in the industry that certain people have in fact "dumbed down" formulations. A few years ago GM upgraded their DEXRON(R) specification from G to H in order to improve oxidative stability. Since the DEXRON(R)-IIIH licenses expired, that has allowed (because there's no policing) some companies to revert to the old, cheaper, DEXRON(R)-IIIG formulations. That of course allows them to increase profit but to a detriment of performance. As far as transmission failures are concerned, how do you know there aren't any? And if one did occur, you must know that it's extremely difficult to pin it on the transmission fluid ~ that's where these people who market unlicensed fluids literally take it to the bank. Think of it this way, if you had a choice of buying 'meat' from Outer Mongolia to feed your family with vs a USDA approved prime-rib ... which would you feel most comfortable eating? I know I'd go for the approved meat every time ~ but like you said, it's all down to personal choice.

Use Dex VI where it is called for, or if you only want to run a OE Dex fluid sure but to say it is the only smart/safe choice is ludicrous. The fluid mfg's would not list a fluid application on the bottle unless it truly covered it. Not unless they wanted a HUGE class action law suit when their fluid started causing failures. ~ As I've already said, the advantage that the multi-vehicle and counterfeit fluid purveyors have is that when a transmission failure does occur, it's extremely difficult, if not impossible for a customer to prove that the fluid is responsible. This is what they rely on. If you think that many fluid manufacturers do not list claims that are unfounded, then you're living on a different planet to me ~ for instance, you CAN'T claim MB 236.6 and DEXRON(R)-VI on the same can because the 2 specs are totally different, it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to meet both, categorically cannot be done. Maybe you were unaware of that.

OE fluids are "ok" but they are seldom the top of the line and best available product in my experience. Nothing wrong with using them certainly but there is also nothing wrong with using aftermarket quality products either. On this one we'll have to agree to disagree, the OEMs spend millions of dollars on their rigorous fluid development, far more than the independents so that's where I'd put my faith. You're welcome to your opinion though. If you want some references try a couple of SAE papers, 2006-01-3241 and 2006-01-3242 ~ they both contain interesting information that may help you with your perception of how OEMs conduct their fluid and specification development.

I'm sorry this ended up being wordy but I felt I should provide a little more insight into why I feel it's so important to use the correct fluids in any given application ~ irritating to some of you, I know but at least it's backed up with millions of dollars of development and DATA to prove the performance.

Let me know if you need any more information, you can always PM me.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I am not going to get into a fight. We have both expressed our views so let's leave it at that. You use OE fluid and I will use aftermarket and we will both be fine. I just wish you would stop scaring people into thinking only OE fluids are the way to go.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I am not going to get into a fight. We have both expressed our views so let's leave it at that. You use OE fluid and I will use aftermarket and we will both be fine. I just wish you would stop scaring people into thinking only OE fluids are the way to go.

+1

Right on brother. I would suggest a new thread to talk about OEM vs. Aftermarket ATF rather than introducing the topic in each thread that queries for ATF in a particular application.

Rumple

Why do so many of you think that Whitewolf shouldn't share his opinion just like the rest of you? Some people will recommend SuperTech, some will recommend Mobil 1 ATF, some will recommend Amsoil ATF,some will recommend Dex VI, and on and on it goes. Everyone has an opinion and I'd prefer to hear them all most of the time as long as it is in response to the topic at hand.

If someone truly has something inaccurate in their post then I hope people will point it out but I don't think anything Whitewolf has said is inaccurate. Is what he said not true? Sure some aftermarket fluids are of great quality and people have the right to trust RP or Amsoil over GM but that is their choice.

I like Penzoil Dex III or whatevever they have to call it now. It provided better, quicker, more consistant shifts over 20k than Castrol.

This is a well abused 4l60e from a city run 2000 formula. The old dexIIIh stuff runs great for short runs... as long as that's still what's in the bottle.

I'm sure Dex VI is great stuff, but my transmission was designed for III and I like my firm shifts, so why change. I would not used a MULTI-VEHICLE ATF as no car was ever designed for that stuff. But it could be just fine in most apps.

'k

How are you certain that Whitewolf has not worked both on the OEM side and the aftermarket side of the industry and knows exactly from what he's talking about, from his own experience?

I can get the dex VI from the chevy dealer I work at for about $18 per gallon. Is the GM fluid a synthetic blend?
I see Valvoline dex VI is full synthetic, Mobil is a blend.
If the GM fluid is good I'll get 3 or 4 gallons and do a full flush.

I started this post to get fluid recommendations, not start an argument. If someone with knowledge of the products could answer my question above, I would appreciate it!

[/quote]
I started this post to get fluid recommendations, not start an argument. If someone with knowledge of the products could answer my question above, I would appreciate it! [/quote]

I recommended DEXRON-VI. Generally speaking they are Group-III formulations (and can therefore be marketed as synthetic in North America) but you shouldn't look at that in a negative way because as SAE paper 2006-01-3241 points out DEXRON-VI fluids are at least as good, if not better, in oxidation than PAO/Ester full synthetics.

I flushed it today with Genuine GM dex VI.
It seems to shift very nice, firm but smooth, just how I like it.
I also put on a nice cast aluminum pan with a drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back