FSI Engines - Audi RS4 Engine Oil-Related Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine german engineering = the more parts the better. I from experience would like no moving parts ,knowing that is impossible ,one moving part would be acceptable.

Mann-Hummel's Provent would more than likely near eliminate the oil vapour going back into the intake.
AFAIK it's the most efficient separator available, and a Mann cyclonic separator is the OE fitment on one of my engines.

The Provent uses a coalescing media element to trap and separate out oil vapour.

*declaration* I'm part of a long term trial of Provent for Mann

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Fine german engineering = the more parts the better.

On the funny side, I thought that this was the original pervue of British Leyland. I once heard, or read a description of a diagram of an exploded view of a jaguar drivetrain as likened to "a map of china with an arrow pointing out the name and location of every Chinaman."

My humble .02, I have 2 Audis, 1 being an '06 2.0T, I know that there is a pcv (or whatever they call it) recall. Not sure what years or dates are involved. Also, what about using a good quality engine flush on a staggered basis (the last time I used an Amsoil flush my Caddy Northstar bit the dust)? Or what about using an oil additive, we used to use Marvel Mystery Oil in some aircraft engines for some of the same problems? We now use V-Power fuel most of the time and I'm always throwing in one of the numerous cleaners I have in my collection. Still trying to solve my "best Audi oil" question.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Fine german engineering = the more parts the better.

On the funny side, I thought that this was the original pervue of British Leyland. I once heard, or read a description of a diagram of an exploded view of a jaguar drivetrain as likened to "a map of china with an arrow pointing out the name and location of every Chinaman."

Ah, brings back memories of my Austin Healeys transmission and French (I think) overdrive unit spread out over my basement. Knew the parts counter men on a first name basis.

Last edited:
The deposits make sense.

When I did my engineering thesis, the majority of the work was on the flow of air and fuel in inlet manifolds.

When there was air/fuel flow, there would always be a film of fuel flowing along the wetted walls of the manifold at around 1/10 of the speed of the air.

The oil would so the same, crawling along the manifold walls, getting hotter and boiling off the light fractions until you are left with semi solid/solid deposits.

Mercedes made use of this phenomenon (not the deposits) in their wankels, by introducing the tip seal lubricating oil into the boundary layer of the inlet manifold, where it crept along, straight into contact with the tip seal...rather than just injecting more than was needed.

here's my remarkably complex vapor acquisition system:
2d2drt4.jpg

It stinks, but works and keeps the business end of the engine happy and safe.

I'm also concerned about fuel contamination in the oil because I run 11.5:1 AFR's which is why I'm running Rotella Synth for half the price of RedLine. I'm concerned that fuel contamination will shorten OCI enough to not justify the cost.

Here's RS4 valves in the UK with only 3700 miles on the engine. The owner used Shell Optimax and V-power fuel, along with Castrol Edge, after purchasing the car with 1200 miles on the odometer

IMG_2200.jpg

This Provent Oil Separator looks pretty cool!

I drive a 08 VW GTI with the 2.0 T FSI motor and I've been looking to add some kind of catch can/oil separator. BSH makes a rudimentary catch can which uses steel wool to condense particulates, but this Provent thing looks like it will work much better.

TDI-rick, what process do you need to set one of these up right? Here is the BSH product:

CatchCan.jpg

I was going to use their hardware to block off the stock PCV system and substitute in the Provent oil separator. Do you need a vacuum on the oil return line coming from the Provent can, or will the oil just drain out with gravity (or will that cause a pressure drop in the Provent, rendering it useless)? Any help is much appreciated...

RI RS4, thanks for all your hard work. Most of this stuff is directly applicable to our DI VW 2.0T's. You have inspired me to start collecting some UOA data and develop a catch can solution to reduce the intake deposits!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rhouse181
I drive a 08 VW GTI with the 2.0 T FSI motor and I've been looking to add some kind of catch can/oil separator. BSH makes a rudimentary catch can which uses steel wool to condense particulates, but this Provent thing looks like it will work much better.

I was going to use their hardware to block off the stock PCV system and substitute in the Provent oil separator. Do you need a vacuum on the oil return line coming from the Provent can, or will the oil just drain out with gravity (or will that cause a pressure drop in the Provent, rendering it useless)? Any help is much appreciated...

Here is a cut and paste of a couple of my posts on vwvortex related to this. The info. may answer some of your questions:

Keeping things clean by all manner possible is the way to go, such as:

1. catch can and/or atmospheric pcv system/elimination

2. cleaning valves http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4256886

3. running fuel injector cleaner, all good things to do.

To me, if cost was no factor, I would block off rear, block of intake hose, and run a Provent catch can http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/ge....html .. ... .. http://www.928gt.com/productspecs/ProVent1.pdf , together with an electric vacuum pump similar to this: http://moparforums.com/forums/...r-234/

That way gases are still being pulled out of the crankcase under vacuum and you have a super efficient catch can with a built in pressure regulator which prevents overpressure in the crankcase if it ever was totally plugged and prevents gunk from going out the breather and getting your engine compartment dirty. And of course because it vents to the atmosphere, none of that gunk is going back into the engine.

also related info:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4181184

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4261021

Potential problems with both FFE and BSH (BSH race can not out yet) as is are:

1. Potential to freeze in cold weather

2. No pressure relief valve so that if lines/can became clogged it could cause overpressure in crankcase

3. No vacuum assist, relies on atmospheric pressure alone which some say can cause oil to degrade much more quickly due to inadequate evacuation of crankcase gases/oil/fuel/other. Note that other systems on other cars usually drill additional ports for the atmospheric system to work correctly. It has to "breathe" well. The current systems rely on one small port. Is it enough? Who knows?

More info here:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1199935

http://www.gemo-online.de/pdf/...g.pdf

What is the great benefit of using direct injection? Seems to be a bad design. I can't believe the benefits are worth dealing with these problems. Did Audi even tear one of these engines down to examine before making a production decision?

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
What is the great benefit of using direct injection?

You can do loops and rolls in your quattro without the engine stalling.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
What is the great benefit of using direct injection?

You can do loops and rolls in your quattro without the engine stalling.
grin2.gif

That's what I thought. Thanks Mori!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
What is the great benefit of using direct injection? Seems to be a bad design. I can't believe the benefits are worth dealing with these problems. Did Audi even tear one of these engines down to examine before making a production decision?

There are big potential benefits to power, fuel economy, and knock prevention.

Maybe the real problem is that these engines are extremely sensitive to fuel type, driving habits, and PCV system function -- i.e. if any of those is slightly off and not compensated for, there's trouble. That might explain how Audi could test these engines without finding a serious problem, and why changing to an esoteric kind of oil is the only sure fix in the real world.

That's just my speculation, though. I could be totally wrong.

One strong benefit of DI is the potential to improve emissions, and actually using the fuel rather than burning some of it in the cat.

If you think about a mixed charge entering the cylinder, as the piston rises, air (and fuel) are pushed into all of the crevices around the piston top and top ring, where they can't burn, and are released in the exhaust stroke to be dealt with by the cat.

In a DI, theses crevices should only contain air.

But then how does fuel dilution come to play as a big factor in these engines ?

Because it's the stratified lean burn mode that keeps those areas free of fuel, and that mode can't always be used.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Because it's the stratified lean burn mode that keeps those areas free of fuel, and that mode can't always be used.

It's never used in the US. But even in Europe there are serious issues with valve deposits surfacing.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

It's never used in the US. But even in Europe there are serious issues with valve deposits surfacing.

If it were my car I would just went PCV system out to atmosphere..and kill the problem in its root
39.gif

no oil vapor in the intake = no deposits on the valves

Which is what i will be doing soon :) Once a vented catch can comes out that I like and I get my tax refund.

I also use to have a paper that was on FSI motors were they put a hole in the side of the cylinder wall and put a clear cover over it and had high speed camera video tape the combustion process and you it was a good read. But, now I cant seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back