2009 Pontiac Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so everyone knows, a Pontiac Vibe is essentially a Toyota Matrix/Corrola in drag. Motor, transmission etc are common to all. My car has the 1.8 liter engine and a 5 speed manual transmission.

New from the dealer, factory fill is 5w-20. Checked the gas mileage a few different times, 32 mpg in mixed driving, 35 mpg on a highway trip.

Changed the oil at 3000 miles. Pontiac dealer put in 5w-20. Checked the gas mileage again. 32 mpg mixed, 35 mpg highway.

Changed the oil at 8000 miles. Different Pontiac dealer put in 5w-30 oil. Checked the gas mileage again. 30 mpg mixed, 33 mpg highway.

The factory calls for either 0w-20 or 5w-20 weight oil. At this point, I suspect the factory is correct.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

Interesting. Pontiac dealer would have put in 5W-30, b/c almost all new GM vehicles call for 5W-30 oil, so that is going to be what he has on hand. Also, up until recently, the Vibe/Matrix did call for 5W-30 oil.

It would be interesting to see if at 5k miles on the fill of 5W-30, mileage is back up to where it was with the 20-weight, b/c the 5W-30 will have sheared by then.

Can you update this threrad with that info when you reach 3-4k miles on the fill of 5W-30?

Some day I'm going to run a load of 5w-20 in my 05 Corolla just to see how it goes and for MPG.

It would be a interesting experiment. I get very good MPG with it so if the 20wt is for MPG, I should see something.

Thanks for the post!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Some day I'm going to run a load of 5w-20 in my 05 Corolla just to see how it goes and for MPG.

It would be a interesting experiment. I get very good MPG with it so if the 20wt is for MPG, I should see something.

Thanks for the post!

Take care, Bill

Really pushing the envelope huh, Bill?

First, you run an expensive synthetic for 10k miles, now you're thinking of running a non-spec oil in your car!

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Thanks for the post!

Take care, Bill

Really pushing the envelope huh, Bill?

First, you run an expensive synthetic for 10k miles, now you're thinking of running a non-spec oil in your car!

:p
Yeah the 10k thing did not do to well....

I will not run the 5w-20 that far.. Prob about 7-8k (that is what I'm running for a OCI now)

Take care, bill

I have an 05 Vibe with many UOAs. I am now at 48k miles and if I compare GC 0W30 and PP 5W30:

-both oils give good reports
- of all the synthetics I have tried it is only GC which results in *no* measureable consumption up to 4500 miles

Last edited:
I noticed zero difference in my fuel economy moving from the 5w20 to PP 5w30 in my 2009 1.8L Corolla. In the dead of winter,(last tank) I got 5.8L/100km.

Bought my niece one of these 2nd Generation Vibe/Matrix clones, and a case of the 5W-20 NAPA Synthetic @ $3.29 as well: going to try a 2K OCI, a 3K OCI and then settle down to 5K ones 'till the end of the factory warranty, which for the Vibe is 5YR/100K...

mshuell: Your mileage seems exemplary in that the "new" EPA estimates are 26/32 for this car. Uses regular, too!

Cheers!

used P.P. 5w-20 in '08 YARIS sedan for a short time and very little / no difference in mileage . The YARIS calls for 5w-30 which is printed on oil cap and in owners manual . Did seem to have better acceleration and bit more power tho . Downfall was that engine was noisier , especially on hills , revving , and on interstate , so went back to SHELL synthetic 5w-30 and much quieter . Other reason for using 5w-20 was due to T.S.B. posted by TOYO for approval of 5w-20 . When I see a new YARIS with 5w-20 imprinted on oil cap and uses same engine as 2008 I may reconsider .

Last edited:
the new VIBE now uses synthetic gear oil installed at the assembly line . I'm quite sure it's GL-5 . Not sure for the new MATRIX and COROLLA .

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

I have an 05 Vibe with many UOAs. I am now at 48k miles and if I compare GC 0W30 and PP 5W30:

- of all the synthetics I have tried it is only GC which results in *no* measureable consumption up to 4500 miles
That would be my only concern is usage.

I use about 2/3-3/4 of a quart every 4-5k of syn and about 1/4-1/3 of a quart with conventional.

I've got some Chevron 5w-20 that my Dad bought for his Vue that I may try next OCI.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I noticed zero difference in my fuel economy moving from the 5w20 to PP 5w30 in my 2009 1.8L Corolla. In the dead of winter,(last tank) I got 5.8L/100km.
Was the 5w-20 also PP?

So far, the best oil that I have use for my Corolla over its 128k life as far as MPG (slightly) is Havoline DS 5w-30. Pennzoil YB very close 2nd.

Worst (again less than a MPG over 5000 miles average) was Mobil Drive clean.

All the others within a MPG.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

I've used Mobil 1 for two years now in my 06 vibe. hasn't used a drop of oil yet with my mobil 1 mix!

I've run Amsoil ASL 5w30 and ASM 0w20 in our 08 corolla 5-sp. that specs a 30w. First fill at 3k miles was ASL, and the current fill is ASM 0w20. I have noticed NO mpg change whatsoever between the different grades.
I have noticed however, the engine is much noisier on the 20w and consumes some oil as well.

Next fill will be SSO 0w30, and we'll see how that works out.

Car gives consistent mpg numbers at 30-31/39-41.

OP....perhaps if your dealer was using strictly synthetic oil, maybe the mpg change would not have been noticed????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back