Amsoil SS 0W30 in a 98 M3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dumped a load of this stuff in yesterday, but today I noticed ( specs) that it's HTHS is low for this engine. I live in Atlanta and it's currently between 30 and 60 degrees, and will undoubtedly get much warmer in the spring and summer. An expensive mistake to learn, but I'd rather spend $60 now on the proper oil instead of damage the engine.

Frankly, I drive the bejeezus out of the car and drive it hard, but it is also maintained to the N-th degree. That being said - I am now thinking that the Amsoil is far too thin for my tastes and I am thinking of going to a 10w40 or so. I am rather limited to Wal-Mart and Autozone for my oil supplies... Any suggestions?

Thanks

First, you had better check if your M3 is one of the ones that requires a 60-weight oil to not fry the bearings. If it does, your choices are somewhat limited - Castrol 10W-60 or a couple of other 10W-60's are availiable. If you really like Amsoil, I feel their AHR straight 60-weight would work well in the summer -its more like a 20W-60 to begin with.

Even if it isn't I would personally never use anything less that a 40-weight in an engine this high-performance, ESPECIALLY if its driven hard. I'd start with Amsoil Euro 5W-40, DEO 5W-40, or regular AMO 10W-40 if you like Amsoil.

Personally, I'd get the SSO out of it, pronto.

The S52 doesn't require the unobtanium 60-wt stuff, so we're in good shape as far as that goes. Interestingly enough - it's running cooler and has a higher idle with the current 0W30 in there... I decided on the oil after reading this page; convincing, but I should have taken it with a grain of salt seeing as how it is a dealer's page.

I run M1 TDT in my 2001 Volvo T5 and I love that oil and I am thinking about giving it a shot in the BMW. Other than that - any easily-obtainable suggestions? I think I have an Advance Auto as well an O'Reilly - in addition to the aforementioned Wal-Mart, Napa and Autozone.

I don't think the SSO is the appropriate oil here, but it may work. I'd use a 5w40 personally.

I had an M3 like yours as well as 2 other BMWs and I've been happiest with Shell Rotella Syn. 5w-40. This oil is readily available at most parts stores and Walmart.

I tried Amsoil 0w-30 in my '97 BMW M3 (S52 engine) and it burned 1 qt./ 900 miles. I switched to Amsoil 5w-40 Euro and consumption dropped to 1 qt./ 1,600 miles. Fuel consumption and engine feel felt the same and engine was quieter with the heavier oil. I couldn't get the Amsoil for awhile so I tried the Rotella syn. 5w-40. Performance was the same as Amsoil for a fraction of the cost.

I personally know 4 people in my chapter of the BMWCCA that use Rotella syn 5w-40 exclusively (3 e36 M3s, 1 540i).

Chris

The 0W30 HTHS = 3.2

You could dump 2 quarts of the oil and add some Amsoil 20W50 which has HTHS of 5.0.

If your car has a 7 quart sump:

((5 x 3.2) + (2 x 5.0))/7 = 3.7

The blend should have a HTHS close to 3.7

I am getting very good results (low consumption) with Castrol Syntec 5W40 in my 2000 S52 engine.

Bought some M1 TDT and feel content dumping that in. Like I said - I've been running it in my turbo Volvo for a long time and it's been flawless. I'll chalk this up to a weak moment with an Amsoil salesman and swallow the $70 loss.

Thanks for your input, folks. I dropped it out this AM. lbraim - The last fill was the BMW Synth 5w30 (per the dealership's suggestion..), and it made a little more valvetrain noise than I liked after a long, hard run so that's why I decided to give the TDT a shot. Also, I am not concerned with the "LL04" specs since I change oil every 5k or so.

This spring, the car will see a track-day or two. I am wondering what I should put in for those occasions.

Thanks all!

Originally Posted By: shrike071
Bought some M1 TDT and feel content dumping that in. Like I said - I've been running it in my turbo Volvo for a long time and it's been flawless. I'll chalk this up to a weak moment with an Amsoil salesman and swallow the $70 loss.

plenty of Amsoil blends with a HTHS rating of 4.3, did you specify the HTHS requierment with your Amsoilsalesman before you purchased? I doubt the 0w30 would harm your engine after 20,000 miles, but you would not know, Oil samples tell alot more than a HTHS number on a piece of paper. If you like to learn even more on your specific oil necessity, enjoy! http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/vw-audi_oil_spec_article.pdf

here is something you should know!!!

Castrol EDGE 10W-60
Unique formulation for specific high powered BMW ‘M’ series

Product Features
BMW approved and specified
Only oil to pass BMW ‘M’ series test for engine protection at high temperatures and extreme conditions

Product Benefits
Only oil proven to provide required level of protection for BMW’M’ series engines

Technical Specifications
BMW approval for M series and Z8 models post 2000 API SJ/CF

this is not sold on North America, unless u can find somewhere...i would just go to the dealer and get the oil they use for M3

The 10w-60 is only called for in the S54 and other more recent M engines. This engine is the S52 NA-version, and the dealer specified oil for this car is BMW's 5w-30 synthetic.

Thanks!

Amsoil 0W-30 is one of the finest oils out there..but a cheaper alternative would be GC...more well designed for European cars!

GC is 0W-30, but it is on the thick side of 30!....if u see the TDS it is actually thicker than Syntec 5W-30!

GC is actually thicker than Amsoil 0W-30 as well!
both are excellent oils!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Amsoil 0W-30 is one of the finest oils out there..but a cheaper alternative would be GC...more well designed for European cars!

GC is 0W-30, but it is on the thick side of 30!....if u see the TDS it is actually thicker than Syntec 5W-30!

GC is actually thicker than Amsoil 0W-30 as well!
both are excellent oils!

Sounds like good information to me.
Dont laugh but dont forget people, Amsoil XL7500 is nothing to ignore as a top of the line performer, and for the price will beat out most all other oils, price/performance hands down
23.gif

AMSOIL XL 10W-40 SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL 10W-40
(XLO)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D-5293)
6036 (-25)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
234 (453)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
248 (478)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -38 (-36)
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
@ 150°C and 1.0 X 106 s-1, cP (ASTM D-4683) 4.3
Four Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75°C,
1200 rpm, 1 hour, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D-4172)
Total Base Number (ASTM D-2896) 9.0

with out going into much detail...just happened to ask a fellow friend of mine regarding this issue he said...

Amsoil 5W-40 Euro Formula

AND/OR

Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 (not easily found)
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_New_GTDS_Helix_Ultra_Extra_5W-30.pdf

folks I got now clue what his reasoning behind suggestion these two specific oil's...if anyone can share their thoughts that be helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back