Oil Pan Gasket leaking after ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Last fall I completed my second application of Auto-RX (using Havoline 5W-30) and after I changed it back to Pennzoil Platinum, the oil pan gasket started weeping. It's not enough to leave spots on the ground (yet) but it is making the pan wet. It never leaked before this, even using Amsoil 5W-30 the winter before this. I changed back to Amsoil and wiped the pan off to see if it would continue leaking, and it's still wet again. I'm thinking the ARX must have uncovered a previously damaged seal and caused it to start leaking once it was cleaned, but I'm not sure. No other seals are leaking nor did it ever consume any oil. It's nice and clean under the valve cover. I'm going to try switching back to conventional after this and see if that helps at all... just wondering if anyone thinks I should try another round of ARX (would make it the 3rd application), or just get the gasket replaced.

Is the gasket easy to change on that Acura? Some are, some not so much.

If it's not leaking that bad, and you think you need more ARX, then you might just as well go another round with the ARX before you change the gasket. Is the engine still dirty after 2 apps of ARX?

Change the gasket. These engines are known to leak at higher mileage. After the gasket change you'll be good to go.

The less expensive route is to try a couple of rounds of HM oil. Maybe it will swell the seals and not cause synthetic to seep through.

After a few OCI's with a HM oil, go back to PP.

Another option is to leave it alone. The seeping is very minimal and will not cause oil loss. Most higher mileage vehicles sweat a bit and cause the pan to be covered with oil.

Is ARX an engine cleaner? If so, why did you need to clean your engine when you have been using synthetic oil? Just curious.

I bought the ARX when I first got the car and wasn't sure how clean the engine was. I took the valve cover off and saw it was nice and clean, and eventually got ahold of all of the maintenance records from the previous owner and realized I didn't really need to use it, but thought I would anyways since it couldn't hurt (or so I thought). But, as far as it goes for being easy to replace, it isn't. You have to remove the exhaust system to get to it, which I don't feel like doing. The Acura dealership quoted me just under $400 to have the gasket replaced. I think I'll just leave it as it is until it gets worse and starts to physically leave spots on the ground, then get it taken care of.

In regards to the engine being dirty after 2 applications, it wasn't leaking until after the second application. After the first application, it was still dry.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I bought the ARX when I first got the car and wasn't sure how clean the engine was. I took the valve cover off and saw it was nice and clean, and eventually got ahold of all of the maintenance records from the previous owner and realized I didn't really need to use it, but thought I would anyways since it couldn't hurt (or so I thought). But, as far as it goes for being easy to replace, it isn't. You have to remove the exhaust system to get to it, which I don't feel like doing. The Acura dealership quoted me just under $400 to have the gasket replaced. I think I'll just leave it as it is until it gets worse and starts to physically leave spots on the ground, then get it taken care of.

In regards to the engine being dirty after 2 applications, it wasn't leaking until after the second application. After the first application, it was still dry.

This is what I would do:

1) Make sure the oil pan bolts are tight
2) Clean the area around the oil pan gasket.
3) Get a tube of red RTV Sealant
4) Put a bead of sealant around the whole oil pan where the oil pan and gasket meets the engine.
5) I would let this dry and cure for 24 hours
6) A heat lamp will speed up the process

I have done this on oil pans and transmission pans and I have never had a leak, the cured RTV will keep the oil from leaking.

You mentioned a leak after your 1st treatment of auto-rx, I would check the PCV Valve and the breather to make sure they are o.k., I would also check the PCV hose.

If these items are clogged you may have to much pressure, which can lead to leaks.

PCV Valve is only ~20k old, should still be good. OEM Honda part. It may or may not be the ARX, hard to say. That's a good idea about the RTV, I was thinking about that earlier but I wasn't sure how it would work.

ThirdeYe said:
PCV Valve is only ~20k old, should still be good. OEM Honda part. It may or may not be the ARX, hard to say. That's a good idea about the RTV, I was thinking about that earlier but I wasn't sure how it would work. [/quote

ThirdYe, I thought about this after I put my transmission pan back on a few years ago. About 6 months later the cork gasket was getting hard and it was leaking.

I know this may sound unbelievable, but after I did the RTV thing, when it was time to change the gasket and filter that old gasket was almost as pliable as it was when it was brand new.

My thinking is that the RTV kept any road grime, heat, or dripping oil away from the gasket. The RTV was like a shield.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Is ARX an engine cleaner? If so, why did you need to clean your engine when you have been using synthetic oil? Just curious.

Synthetic oil does not guarantee a clean engine.

Originally Posted By: c3po
4) Put a bead of sealant around the whole oil pan where the oil pan and gasket meets the engine.

Sealant must be used between mating surfaces.

Think Hondabond would do the trick, or should I buy some of that colored RTV?

I like the red or black RTV, I am not a fan of the blue RTV.

I have never heard of Hondabond.

Another good product is Permatex The Right Stuff, I think it cures faster and does a better job than regular RTV.

Hi all,

Last fall I completed my second application of Auto-RX (using Havoline 5W-30) and after I changed it back to Pennzoil Platinum, the oil pan gasket started weeping.

Funny you should mention this. The two or three times I've done the exact same thing, the exact same thing would happen. Not a seal, but a gasket, would start weeping just enough to annoy.

Switched over to a different oil, and the weeping stopped . . . even more peculiar.

It's an excellent motor oil. But I cannot fathom the coincidence that this odd behavior has now occurred more than once.

Try changing to a different oil. I've found that even other synthetics worked out fine once the PP was gone.

Originally Posted By: c3po

This is what I would do:

1) Make sure the oil pan bolts are tight
2) Clean the area around the oil pan gasket.

This is what I would do. If it continues to leak replace the gasket.

I've decided I'm going to clean it all up and put some Hondabond around the gasket where it looks like it's leaking and give that a try. I'm afraid of trying to re-tighten the bolts and possibly damaging the gasket further by having it bow outwards. But, before I do anything I'm going to clean it up and try changing brands of oil again and see if that does anything. I'm going to try using conventional Pennzoil and see if the weeping stops.

ThirdYe, I doubt your oil pan bolts are loose, but if they are you may continue to have leaks.

Check them out, and if they are a little loose just gently tighten them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back