Trust Chrysler Dealer Filter for 10,000km???

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5L V6 Chrysler 300. Changed factory fill with Mobil 1 10w30 and Mobil 1 Filter at 5,000km. My brother brought it to the dealer today, @ 15,000km for another oil change.. Mobil 1 10w30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Problem is, he grabbed the wrong Oil Filter from the garage, and the dealer went ahead and put one of their own on instead.

I was planning on running the oil for 10,000km again. Is the (Mopar,I'm assuming) Dealer Oil Filter good enough for this interval? Or should I change the filter now? ... in about 5,000km with a PureOne or Bosch?

Note: 85% city driving. Will probably take about 8-9 months to get to 10,000km on this new oil. What are your suggestions?

If piece of mind is goal, then change to what you want. The OEM filter should last the time quoted, can't say if it will do what you want while on there.

I just cut open a Mopar filter from a Canadian dealer. It was definitely a Wix. Seemed to be of good quality.

Although the Mopar is a very good filter why take the chance, for a few dollars just change it out halfway through, Filters and Oil are cheap Engines are not.

Mopar are better than Fram regular filters and my dad has used Fram regular filters for 10,000KM oil changes with very cheap oil and has achieved 300,000KM in his van. Use a MOPAR with confidence, you're not taking a chance.

Thanks for the input. I'm still a bit undecided of what to do... For now.. the Mopar filter will stay in. MAYBE in the summer, it'll be about 5,000km on the oil/filter and I'll take the initiative to change the filter to a PureOne or Bosch which would cost me about 5 bucks. I blame this site for me being so anal! haha (not necessarily a bad thing!)

I've never changed the oil on the 300 since the car was bought new and came with 3 free oil changes. Would I lose a lot of oil by exchanging out the filter only? I currently don't have a stash of Mobil 1, so I would probably top off any loss with some Napa Synthetic since I have stocked up quite a bit lately for my other cars. That wouldn't be a problem would it? .. or should I just go buy a quart of Mobil 1 for top up?

You will loose 1/2 - 1 quart depending on the filter size when you replace the filter as this is absorbed into the media.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it... The filter will go those miles with no problems at all.

If it makes you feel better, my dad is a mechanic of over 35 years and has worked for Chrysler for 20 before retiring...
grin2.gif

Here is a pic of a Mopar filter for the 07 or older 300. I think you will be fine going 10,000km with a Mopar filter.

MoparOEMFilter.jpg

It is not a matter of whether the filter is good for that long. I don't believe it will fall apart or anything (like a number of the cheap filters I've posted on my site).
As long as the oil is Mobil 1, and the engine is properly tuned, it can't really load up and stop working.

The difference is how many particles of what size you want to take out. The Mobil 1 filter is probably much more efficient.

I'm hoping that the Chrysler filters are good, since no one else makes it for the 2009 3.7 in the Grand Cherokee. It has an M22 thread that does not agree with the wix, Napa, or any other on-line place I've seen that say they have it, and Donaldson does not make an M22 that narrow. (Dealer had to put my factory filter back in because they did not have the correct filter and their books and CD's were wrong too.) Their books show a 3/4" thread.
car_progress.jpg

Last edited:
Even though there are several different manufacturers for the Mopar filters, they are all built to a pretty high standard. I would use them with confidence...

Quote:
(Dealer had to put my factory filter back in because they did not have the correct filter and their books and CD's were wrong too.) Their books show a 3/4" thread.

Convert it. I would imagine that it's a nipple. You should be able to swap (or so I would imagine).

..but..now the bypass is a bit higher ...
21.gif

P550794

LUBE SPIN ON

A - OD (Inches) 3.00
B - Thread Size (Inches) M22 x 1.5
C - Length (Inches) 3.26
Relief Valve Setting (PSI) 20
Product Type Description LUBE SPIN ON
Primary Application GM 2007 LIGHT TRUCK

Part Number: 57045
Principal Application: Various Dodge, Jeep, Mitsubushi w/ 3.7L Engines (09)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.782
Outer Diameter Top: 2.939
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.741 2.458 0.23

..or (how tight is it?)

P550389

LUBE FILTER SPIN-ON

A - OD (Inches) 3.15 (is .075 on either side too tight?)
B - Thread Size (Inches) M22 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches) 3.94
D - Gasket OD (Inches) 2.48 (gasket might not work
21.gif
)
E - Gasket ID (Inches) 1.99
Relief Valve Setting (PSI) 8-11
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N) Yes
Product Type Description LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application ISUZU 8941145840

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Even though there are several different manufacturers for the Mopar filters, they are all built to a pretty high standard. I would use them with confidence...

I would never use a Fram with confidence. Cardboard end caps and all
FramPH8A.jpg

Yeah, those filter are older than dirt. At least 10 years old. Who knows who is manufacturing them now.

Originally Posted By: mimelio
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I would never use a Fram with confidence. Cardboard end caps and all

I never said use a FRAM with confidence... I was refering to a Mopar! There is nothing wrong with a FRAM cardboard end caps IMO. But I wouldn't use it for 10,000KM like a MOPAR filter.

The only way to put a 3" OD filter in there is remove the drain spout. A lot of people do that, but it makes a mess when changing.

I wouldn't put a 20 psi relief valve in it either. 3 weeks ago when I clicked on the details of that wix filter it gave me an error. Now I see the details you posted. But it isn't available anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back