Smith and Wesson Model 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a few Taurus pistols and like them
thumbsup2.gif
but MAKE SURE whatever you buy is good when you get it.

Their Lifetime warranty is poor to say the least. Expect months and paying both ways plus sending it back a few times to get it hopefully fixed.
frown.gif

Do a google search on Taurus customer service. You'll spend a "lifetime" reading how poor it really is.

I've had to use Rugers Customer service and it truly is. Also Glocks is good. Sig Sauer took about 3 months.

Again, not to dig on Taurus but just stating facts. (Yes I have had to witness getting a firearm back and it not being fixed. AFTER 4 months. 2nd time was the charm after 2 months (rush service they called it))

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Durango
tpitcher,

It's always a good thing to have a smith look at your model 60. It might/could be slightly out of time BUT an occasional spiting is common. If you shoot lead bullets under normal circumstances the lead bullet is shaved off due to the fact that the forcing cone is squeezing the bullet into the bore. I suggest you practice with some FMJ's and the spitting should stop.

Durango

Hey, thanks for the reply, Durango!

I have to agree with Bill in Utah concerning the Taurus guns, While I love and own 6 of them (pistols and revolvers) and never had any trouble, I hope I never need service work done. One of my favorite revolvers (and one of my CCW guns) is my Smith and Wesson 360PD. This is a scandium .357 weighing under 12oz. Quality is great, but the price was really high.

She liked the Model 60 despite its weight. She is concerned about the recoil so the heavier one is better. It fit nicely in her hand and she could flip the drum open with one hand.

Now it's time to start saving the money for it. She liked the laser grip but I think it's a gimmick for the kind of a user she will be.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
She liked the laser grip but I think it's a gimmick for the kind of a user she will be.

Maybe not - that laser pointed on the badguy's chest has quite an effect. Could be a life-saver.

Last edited:
Civic Fan,

If you wife like the steel frame 60 then that's for her. Aluminum frames are good/lighter but they do buck in the hand for sure. Scandium is more lighter than aluminum but lasts much longer. I shot my buddies 45ACP scandium revolver and it pounded my hand so hard it made me start to cry. Man did it hurt!!!!!

Tempest,

What you say is true but still with the scandium added it's still lighter. If you like pain then try a scandium frame and bring allot of kleenex. If I cried trying a 45ACP then think of what a small frame scandium frame 357 would be!!!??? Bring the whole box of kleenez.

Durango

My wifes Model 85 Taurus UltraLite weighs 17oz and she has no issues with recoil, even shooting my full house, hot reloads. Also I would opt for the laser grips, that red dot can be an effective deterrent all by itself.

Any of the J-frame Smiths are just perfect for just about anybodys needs.

I once took a petite girl to shoot a variety of different guns, to see what she might be comfortable with. I was thinking a 38 or a 9mm for her, she ended up with a Glock 36(I think) in 45acp. She loves it and is deadly accurate with it too...
thumbsup2.gif

Tempest,

What you say is true but still with the scandium added it's still lighter. If you like pain then try a scandium frame and bring allot of kleenex. If I cried trying a 45ACP then think of what a small frame scandium frame 357 would be!!!??? Bring the whole box of kleenez.

Durango

Place your hand on a work bench and have someon hit it with a sledgehammer. That is what shooting my 340PD (11 oz .357) feels like with the Federal 125 gr 357 loads. Still that revolver goes with me everywhere, while my 1911 stays home.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
Tempest,

Durango

Place your hand on a work bench and have someon hit it with a sledgehammer. That is what shooting my 340PD (11 oz .357) feels like with the Federal 125 gr 357 loads. Still that revolver goes with me everywhere, while my 1911 stays home.

Perfect description! I have the PD360 which is identical to your gun except my hammer is exposed where yours is concealed. I tried those Federals and they were brutal. I now carry with the Remington Golden Sabers - you can actually shoot a cylinder of those w/o as much pain as most other loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back