Super Tech ATF+4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would this fluid be of any less quality than other, brand name ATF+4 fluids? A licensed fluid should be very close in quality to other equally licensed fluids, even if a dollar or 2 less per quart. IIRC the base oil and add pack is even limited/regulated to one or 2 options of manufacturer. Why go only 30k miles on this fluid? It is capable of more than that in normal service, and will go even longer if additional cooling is added for hotter climates.

I am running the Coastal 75w90 in my manual tranny so I would assume the supertech would do just as well.

I swapped out the ff at 2200 miles and gonna run the coastal until 15K then drain that and put in amsoil

I use it in my 1999 41TE, now at 186K miles and running like new. Supertech ATF+4 is working as well as the Valvoline ATF+4 I had in there previously. The minivan tranny gets a flush about every two years, approx. 40K miles. I did two flushes last year because of an AutoRx treatment that fixed a cold weather initial 1st gear engagement problem.

At the next flush, Supertech ATF+4 will be going in again.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Why would this fluid be of any less quality than other, brand name ATF+4 fluids? A licensed fluid should be very close in quality to other equally licensed fluids, even if a dollar or 2 less per quart. IIRC the base oil and add pack is even limited/regulated to one or 2 options of manufacturer. Why go only 30k miles on this fluid? It is capable of more than that in normal service, and will go even longer if additional cooling is added for hotter climates.

Why would you go any longer than 30K with Mopar or any other ATF+4 without an UOA. Simple to find out if you are having any issues and that the tranny is holding up fine. I am sorry but the 80 dollars it takes me to get my tranny flushed with 15.9 quarts of ATF+4 every 30K miles compaired to replacing an 5 speed tranny is simple math to me. BTW I could not use Supertech ATF+4 because someone took all of it a Walmart. So I will use Supertech's sister. Coastal. Unless of course I can find a cheaper ATF+4 on sale. Also call me crazy but at around 50K I will have the pan dropped and the filter changed and fresh ATF+4 put in. That should hold up until 100,000 miles for me.
"Normal Service" for me is driving from San Diego to Calexico twice a month. Which is about 130 miles through Montains where sometimes the temp is 20-40F or 70-90F depends on the season. From there I cross the border drive another 30 miles to my in laws house. Where it can be anywhere from about freezing to 120F depending on the season. Then on Sunday waiting in line for hours at a time. Then driving back. So understand why when I have a truck that is pushing 350HP and I drive 18K a year under these conditions even though ATF+4 is an outstanding spec and license anyway you look at it. I am cautious.

I wouldn't buy anything that has Supertech on it. Go with a quality name brand ATF+4. I use either Mopar or Valvoline, whichever is on sale at the time. It gets changed out every 2 years. Fluid is cheap, a new trans isn't.

Yeah this has been discussed before, same thing. I noticed no change in shifting when switching from the Mopar stuff to the Supertech stuff.

My owner's manual recommends 30,000 mile service on the tranny, fluid and filter change. 2004 Dodge 1500 Hemi.

I'd use ST without a second thought. Presently using Valvoline.

Remember we are talking Walmart not a Dollar Store. If Walmart sells some Supertech ATF+4 you can bet their buyers beat the oil companies up to find the one who would sell them the ATF+4 spec'ed product at the cheapest price. Thats the way Walmart works. So I would be 99% confident that it would pass the ATF+4 spec, yes, as Walmart has too much to loose by selling substandard oil or ATF.

But the next question is does the OEM fluid exceed the spec? Unsure.

Do companies like Amsoil really exceed the spec and are a better value, to be determined.

Amsoil should be better at 2-3 times the cost! Amsoil is great for temp extremes and long drains.

Super Tech is a fine fluid and the license number for ATF+4 is right on the bottle. Brand names-you are paying for the name and advertising. Name brand is fine, especially if you get for a real good sale price. Otherwise, $3/qt every day at your local China Mart (if it happens to be in stock).

Remember we are talking Walmart not a Dollar Store. If Walmart sells some Supertech ATF+4 you can bet their buyers beat the oil companies up to find the one who would sell them the ATF+4 spec'ed product at the cheapest price. Thats the way Walmart works. So I would be 99% confident that it would pass the ATF+4 spec, yes, as Walmart has too much to loose by selling substandard oil or ATF.

Having worked for the retail giant for 8+ years in the past, they are acutely aware of a huge target painted in their chest. (Retail pun not intended.) People, lawyers go after the deepest pockets. WallyWorld would never knowingly sell an out of spec oil. Simply not worth the increased exposure.

Spot on post, Donald.

I agree with 99, same rules I follow, although I use QS ATF+4 sometimes, my favorite > fluid is cheap transmissions are not.

Originally Posted By: levi

Having worked for the retail giant for 8+ years in the past, they are acutely aware of a huge target painted in their chest. (Retail pun not intended.) People, lawyers go after the deepest pockets. WallyWorld would never knowingly sell an out of spec oil. Simply not worth the increased exposure.

Spot on post, Donald.

After Walmart/Warren recently got caught and sued for selling out of spec Super Tech gear oil, I would imagine they have increased their quality control awareness.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f34/walmart-gear-oil-220475/

However, at the consumer level, we really have to just trust the bottlers and the licensing system regarding the product they sell. In spite of the anecdotal stories shared here, we really don't have any data that shows if one brand is resulting in less wear than another, which is different than "it works".

After the recent Mobil 1 debacle, its hard to argue that quality control at a major company might/should be better than the smaller companies.

I just dumped the pan on my 03 Ram 1500/Hemi 5-speed auto with 50,000 miles on original fluid.

Replaced both filters and 7 quarts Super Tech ATF + 4.

Shifting perfectly, no problems.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
After Walmart/Warren recently got caught and sued for selling out of spec Super Tech gear oil, I would imagine they have increased their quality control awareness.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f34/walmart-gear-oil-220475/

Oh, give me a break. Just like any oil manufacturer, Warren had a brief glitch in production and a few bottles of gear oil got out that didn't meet low temp spec. Every bad bottle that got shipped went to just five counties in the People's Republic of California. It was not some nationwide problem with out of spec Super Tech oil.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back