Some drivers just hate cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately, when riding my road bike, I'm getting a lot or krrap from drivers. I seem to get flipped off, honked at, or "squeezed" at least once every ride. I obey all traffic laws when riding. I can't change drivers' behavior, but it sure does pisz me off!

Good thing you didn't live in CA.

A good number of CA drivers hate cyclists. They pass them in a dangerous way, attempt to run them over, etc. Some people don't like to share the road.

Then again, there are some cyclists who ride at 4 mph on a busy street (riding as those they were a car) and backing up traffic for 1/2 a mile. There are always a few bad eggs that give all of us a bad rep.

I have never come across a reasonable cyclist. they have no bodily protection, no mechanical power, can't keep up with traffic, yet they use the road as if they have right of way and like they own it, then complain when drivers flip them off. it is especially bad on country roads, sometimes only 1 1/2 lanes wide, that obviously do not make provision for cyclists.

Is a cyclist anyone on a bike? or something more serious than average? I consider myself a bike rider, not a cyclist when I ride a bike. Generally best to stay off roads with more than 30 MPH speeds. Can use sidewalk, then drivers switch to pedestrians and same/similar feelings. Cyclist's are something of a rareity, so unfamiliar, and not used to dealing with. Not healthy for recreation, more a gas saving transportation deal. You may be better off driving somewhere else with better conditions for riding.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
crinkles, I'm sure bicycles will be outlawed soon enough!

no, cars will be first, because people kill each other with it.

we are building a road that costs $70m per mile and which will take 4 years to complete because of one or two irresponsible (or just plain tired) truckies every year.

i hate the ones who ride on white line when there is six feet of breakdown lane to their left...i walk a lot on weekends and i try my best to stay as far away from cars as possible...i hate the harley dudes who ride on yellow line too...f-em i aint moving

Originally Posted By: jldcol
Is a cyclist anyone on a bike? or something more serious than average? I consider myself a bike rider, not a cyclist when I ride a bike.

I consider myself a velocipedist.*
wink.gif

(Bike) rider, bicyclist, cyclist, and velocipedist mean all the same thing.

*disclaimer for crinkles: I'm kidding.

I just don't understand the ones that ride in what I see as very, very dangerous situations. (Busy 2-lane roads with little or no shoulder and speed limits of 35 MPH+.) My thought as I wait to pass them is "That healthy heart you're out here working on is sure going to do you a lot of good when you're head's splattered on the pavement for being a total jackazz."

Wavin, I sure hope this isn't you. I understand the desire to ride, but I hope you use common sense when/where you do it. It's my opinion that so many of the your fellow cyclists do not.

I have never seen a cyclist who thinks they "own the road." Motorists just need to relax a bit and have more respect for other people's lives. It might take you an extra 10 seconds to just wait behind a cyclist until the car next to you passes so you can drift a little more to left in order to safely pass a cyclist.

Though bicycle riders have the same rights to the road as automobiles in Alabama, I ride as close to the white line as is safe for me. People still squeeze me and pass me at 60+ mph with oncoming traffic. Bass-terds! I am NOT a jackasz when I ride, and yet I'm treated like it. These people that flip me off, etc....They forget one thing; I live in the same area as them, and I CAN find them if need be.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
I have never seen a cyclist who thinks they "own the road." Motorists just need to relax a bit and have more respect for other people's lives. It might take you an extra 10 seconds to just wait behind a cyclist until the car next to you passes so you can drift a little more to left in order to safely pass a cyclist.

Ever heard of Critical Mass?

They give humans a bad name!

To MORIMOTO: you often display the ability to fully grasp what I write, but not the ability to understand what I meant. My appologies, for taking your valuable time in explaing to me what it is I post. A guy in a leotard, toe clips, in a group all dressed the same, etc. is a CYCLIST, to me anyway. A 4yr. old on training wheels is a BIKE RIDER, again to me. Bike only lanes may help, but some at expense. I understand the OP in spirit, but the rewards of biking come at some risk, as in all things.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Is a cyclist anyone on a bike? or something more serious than average? I consider myself a bike rider, not a cyclist when I ride a bike.

I consider myself a velocipedist.*
wink.gif

what's that? a dinosaur? can we clone it yet?

To MORIMOTO: you often display the ability to fully grasp what I write, but not the ability to understand what I meant. My appologies, for taking your valuable time in explaing to me what it is I post. A guy in a leotard, toe clips, in a group all dressed the same, etc. is a CYCLIST, to me anyway. A 4yr. old on training wheels is a BIKE RIDER, again to me. Bike only lanes may help, but some at expense. I understand the OP in spirit, but the rewards of biking come at some risk, as in all things.

Who cares what your personal definition for bike rider, cyclist etc is? Those terms are synonyms. If you want to further define the term you may have to use modifiers like adjectives and adverbs to allow differentiation. For example, you could describe yourself as a spandex-clad and pteranodon helmet wearing, semi-professional wannabe cyclist.

Man some of you here would hate driving in Amish country PA. Nothing but bikes, scooters, buggies, and poop. Buggies are the only thing that really [censored] me off.

Who cares? well I do and so do you since you bother to comment on it. As you said to another, don't read my posts, and/or don't repond to them. My comment was to the OP and to anyone else unclear. After the first 2 sentences the rest was as I said. If you want adjectives, how about rooster vacuum? Maybe quit slumming here and go back to re-writing Chaucer.

don't read my posts, and/or don't repond to them.

You posted, "To MORIMOTO:"

I read and reply as I choose.
LOL.gif

As you are fond of correcting spelling, is that how you spell your log in? NO. As for my definitions, much the same goes for the english lessons you spontaneously share. I have a acronym this time: Anterior Superior Spine. You usually are good at knowing what I write, how about what I mean this time. I really hope your cholesterol is as high as you think your IQ is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back