PP or Dino in a 4.0L Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L with 102,000 miles on the clock. I've been useing YBP and a Napa gold filter for sometime now. But was wanting to switch to PP to go longer on the OCI. I've tryed doing a search on the 4.0. but I just found a few items about increased wear with M1. So do you guy's think PP will increase wear in the 4.0 and should just stick with Dino? Or use PP with out any worry's? I also was thinking about switching because it does stay in the 100's in the summer around here and thought that PP would be the best choice for the high operating temps. Thoughts?

yellow bottle is a good oil stick with it... its good for 5000 mile's plus..
Sometimes a synthetic will clean your engine too good and it will become a leaker and oil burner. I will say PP cleans engines very well i have seen it with my own eyes at my shop with a family members car.. Too bad the price for PP is so high

PP and/or even better "Valvoline SynPower" and yes it has happened with me I used syn oil in my old caravan which always had dino 5w-30 for over 300km and ....a week after i noticed a very bad leak...luckily stop leak slow down the leak, during winter it was not a problem but summers use to be terrible!!

only if ur engine is in good shape!

Originally Posted By: strongt
I've got a 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L with 102,000 miles on the clock. I've been useing YBP and a Napa gold filter for sometime now. But was wanting to switch to PP to go longer on the OCI. I've tryed doing a search on the 4.0. but I just found a few items about increased wear with M1. So do you guy's think PP will increase wear in the 4.0 and should just stick with Dino? Or use PP with out any worry's? I also was thinking about switching because it does stay in the 100's in the summer around here and thought that PP would be the best choice for the high operating temps. Thoughts?

I believe Jeep recommended 10W-30 for your 03 Grand Cherokee. The PP 10W-30 would be an excellent oil for this application. My 04 Wrangler with the same engine runs great on PP 10W-30.

I'd go with the PP based on the choices you've given, in either a 5W30 or a 10W30. Or use 5w30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. If the engine is in good shape and has no existing leaks you'll be fine. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with the PP based on the choices you've given, in either a 5W30 or a 10W30. Or use 5w30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. If the engine is in good shape and has no existing leaks you'll be fine. JMO

+1

The 4.0 I6 is a very simple engine with simple lubrication needs. It's a very very long lasting engine regardless of using synthetic or dino. My bro's 98 TJ is going on 150K and mine is at 75K. Feed them the cheapest namebrand dino you can find and change it every 5K or 1 year.

While I agree with the sentiments about the 4.0's ruggedness, I don't know that its entirely a good idea to just "throw the cheapest name-brand" at it. The 4.0 never got roller lifters, so it does have high-pressure sliding contact lubrication needs. It doesn't have radically stiff valve springs, so you're not likely to wipe cam lobes due to extreme pressure, so cheap oil is *probably* OK, but I err on the side of caution with mine.

My 4.0 spent its first 120,000 miles of life in the hands of an owner who just took it to Jiffy lube for oil changes. God knows what kind of bulk oil it got, and it still runs great with near zero oil consumption. I switched it over to Rotella T Synthetic and have logged another 15,000 miles or so on it, still running great. The power delivery of the 4.0 is much like a small diesel- its peak torque comes in around 2000 RPM, and you rarely ever benefit by revving it over 3500 or so. Given the fact that it lugs a lot, I see some benefit from the 5w40 rating, even though the factory only calls for a 10w30.

I guess it all depends on how over-protective you are :D

I've been thinking about trying a diesel oil in my 173K-mile 4.0, but it's been running pretty well on GTX HM 10w-30. Valves are a bit noisy in the 2K-3K RPM range, but otherwise the engine is as quiet as you can expect from a 4.0.

I've used PureONE and Mopar filters on it, seems to run a bit quieter with the Mopar filters, so I'll probably just keep running those.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

My 4.0 spent its first 120,000 miles of life in the hands of an owner who just took it to Jiffy lube for oil changes. God knows what kind of bulk oil it got, and it still runs great with near zero oil consumption.

JL most likely fed it a steady diet of Pennzoil. A very good oil to say the least!

my 4.0 zj was in the hands of another owner until 115,000 and has got synthetic 0w20 or 5w20 with some mmo to clean the sludge monster out now with 157,4xx she purrrrs like a kitten. and will have to last 2more years. i would run what ever is on sale. thats what i do most of the time.and pulls 18.5 mpg even with 30/9.5/15 on it.

Use what you please. Base it on noise level at idle ..or lack of it. Base it on cost...whatever. The engine won't care. The worst I've seen from a maintained 4.0 is lifter ticks. Even if UOA shows one better than another, I'd like to see the 4.0 that failed or showed stress when being reasonably maintained. Even slinging big meats the engines don't fail. If you own it long enough, you may get to replace a timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back