All season w/ good snow traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for inputs from those of you who have had good experiences with All Season tires that also have good snow traction. I am looking at two sizes for both my cars.

195/65-R15
235/65-R17

The snow traction is the deal maker/breaker. All else is secondary.

Pirelli P4 4 seasons is the top ranked all season tire on Tirerack and has top rankings for snow traction.

Any tire that has a lot of full depth sipes will do well in snow, along with a silica rich tread compound which makes the tread softer).

Kumho Solus KR21 and the Goodyear Triple Tread are also highly rated for snow.

Last edited:
Our '07 Uplander came with GY Integrity tires on it and I find them to work very well in winter conditions.

Of course, I drive like an old man now ... I AM an old man now ??!!
21.gif

The Nokian WR is an all season tire and is from the only four season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations. I have them on my Beretta and they are outstanding. P-195-70-14. A set of 4 in that size was $482.83. Expensive but well worth it.

Oh yea, forgot about the Nokian WR. Far and away the most capable "all season" tire in adverse weather conditions.

Very expensive with a 50K treadlife warranty I believe - they wear faster but have a more snow tire like tread compound.

I'm suprised that someone is praising the Goodyear integrity as well. In the Highlander forum (where that tire came stock on about 1/3 of them) they are trashed up and down. Another guy at work has them, and thought they were great for about 15,000 miles, then not so much. So maybe they start strong and die fast?

For the MDX I'd try to find Michelin LTX, or X-radial LT (same tire at Costco, sams) or the Crossterrains. Or the tripletreads, though a tirerack guy told our forum these aren't for suv's, only cars but didn't know why.

For the car, it's hard to say. Snow traction a top priority, consider two sets of tires, one snows. Or just use tirerack search.

Quote:
The Nokian WR is an all season tire and is from the only four season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem

Goodyear Fortera TripleTred also has the Severe Snow Service Snowflake (S^4?). Not sure if it comes in OP's size, though.

The OEM GY Integrity's on my Caravan are the longest lasting tires I EVER had.....4.5 years and about 68K +/-. All of my other tires either wore out faster or had pot hole issues (belt/tread separation, etc.). Handling seemed o.k.. Go figure.

My new Yokohama Avid TRZ's seem to have excellent rain and snow traction. I am very pleased with them.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Looking for inputs from those of you who have had good experiences with All Season tires that also have good snow traction. I am looking at two sizes for both my cars.

195/65-R15
235/65-R17

The snow traction is the deal maker/breaker. All else is secondary.

I purchaced Pirelli P4's for just this reason. Read my review. Not sure if they are available in your sizes. Other tires that I had considered were:

Yokohama Avid TRZ
Kumho Solus KR-21

Doesn't look like Yoko makes a TRZ in any of those sizes.

The KS KR-21 is available in the MDX's size only, and not in the Accord, and certainly seems like a very good tire.

I am curious there are no recommendations for 'General' tires ?

I'd strongly consider the Goodyear Fortera Tripe Tread for the MDX. As stated above, it carries the severe service snowflake symbol, so it's as close to a snow tire as you can get while still being able to run them year round.

My vote is for the Nokian WRG2. I put a set of 195/65 R15 on a rwd Cressida in Dec.
Their performance in snow, wet slush and heavy rain has been stellar. They are described as an all weather tire with the snowflake symbol. In Canada the H rated are guaranteed for 100,000 km or 60,000 miles. They may cost more than some others but they save on the cost of having to swap out a set of dedicated snow tires every year.

Another vote for the Nokian WRs. I have them on 3 cars now and love them. Great combination of reasonable handling in dry/wet conditions with excellent slush/snow capabilities. Not quite up to what a true snow tire would deliver, but much better in snow/slush than any other all-season I have driven.

I just pruchased a set of Yokohama AVID TRZ's for my Grand Marquis this weekend. First impression is that they are better in hard pack snow and ice than the OEM Michelin's.

Based on personal experience this winter, Bridgestone Potenza G009 is a good choice. I was surprised at how well they did in the ice and snow, especially compared to the helpless Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on the other car.

Originally Posted By: Ken E.
Based on personal experience this winter, Bridgestone Potenza G009 is a good choice. I was surprised at how well they did in the ice and snow, especially compared to the helpless Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on the other car.

Really? Our new Outback came with the G009's on it and I think they are lousy in wet snow or slush and especially ice, I've slid all over the place.

They're decent in dry powder though.

I have a set of Goodyear Integrity, worthless in snow and ice
there 225/60-16 braking and take off is just terrible, cornering is so so

oddly I know sombody that's has Goodyear Integrity 235/65-17, they are better but not great. but the thread pattern is slightly differnt on those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back