2006 Honda Odyssey first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change the oil in our slightly used Certified 2006 Odyssey for the first time. I'm looking for a motor oil comparable to Honda 5w-20 that I don't have to buy at the dealership. From reading the forums I'm gonna go with Napa Gold for the filter.

I believe Pennzoil Platinum meets the Honda Specs, and I would use that oil w/o hesitation. You can also use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional oil, if you don't want to go the synthetic route. Good choice on the filter, Purolator Pure One filters are also very good.

Good luck with your Odyssey and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Any brand name SM rated dino oil will work wonders in your Honda. Find one that's on sale and stick with it. Pennzoil YB, Valvoline, GTX, QS, and lots more.

If you want to go synthetic then PP is a good choice and Amsoil for extended drains (10-15k).

You can't go wrong with a Honda engine. Just change the oil regularly and it'll last forever.

Change the air filter every 10-12k on that van to avoid the V-6 fuel dilution issue. I'd go with Motorcraft oil as well. 5 quarts for $12 here.

Since you'll be using a Napa filter, you might consider picking up some of the Napa full synthetic oil while you're there. It's on sale right now for $3.29 a quart, and would work well in your Honda, as would the other oils mentioned by the previous posters.

Good luck with your car :)

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
don't forget the trans fluid. I would worry more about the trans fluid changing personally.

Good point! When I was selling Hondas the weak link in the Odyssey was the transmission. I left them in 2003, not sure if they got that problem resolved.

Originally Posted By: webfors
If you want to go synthetic .... Amsoil for extended drains (10-15k).

Don't do that! The warrenty will be voided, Honda requires 7500 (max) mile OCI's. Also, the Honda OLM will long expire before a 10-15K interval.

Originally Posted By: seminephrious
I'm going to change the oil in our slightly used Certified 2006 Odyssey for the first time. I'm looking for a motor oil comparable to Honda 5w-20 that I don't have to buy at the dealership...

As far as I know, any name brand off the shelf 5w20 will meet Honda specs. For my 2008 Ody, I've used Walmart Supertech 5w20 and currently have Motorcraft 5w20 in there. Both OCs I used Supertech filters. The maintenance minder in my van prompts for an OC around the 6-7Kmi mark with our usage. The ST filters looked perfect when I cut them open after ~6Kmi of usage. Yes, I would do at least a drain/fill cycle on your transmission. The first major redesign of the trans didn't take place until the 2007 model year.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Don't do that! The warrenty will be voided, Honda requires 7500 (max) mile OCI's. Also, the Honda OLM will long expire before a 10-15K interval.

Man - are you REALLY sure? The truth is that extending intervals will not automatically void warranties.

For the record, I ran ASM two OLM intervals without changing the oil. I simply reset the OLM. And what do you thinking I'm doing now that our Odyssey has grenaded? I just reset the OLM with the RD-20. I'm waiting for it to grenade again!

Pablo, out of curiosity, what does your OLM roll out to between resets? Our 2008 is very conservative with the 6-7Kmi IMO. You could easily double it with Amsoil or the likes.

Joel

From 5.5K to 7.5K.

I just want to be clear, I'm not trying to talk the OP into extended drains, I'm basically saying (like you) the OLM is very conservative. Using synthetic oil and doing OLM changes will be a piece of cake. For me, personally, 2x doesn't even slow me down.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Man - are you REALLY sure? The truth is that extending intervals will not automatically void warranties.

I realize you have a vested interest in Amzoil/extended OCI's, and I am fine with that. Now with that said, anyone wanting to CHANCE voiding a new car warrenty just for the sake of extended OCI's, well, proceed at your own risk!

Think, how many anedoctal stories have you guys heard through the years about dealers (certainly not singling out Honda here) using any and every technicality to dodge warrenty coverage?
Too easy to just stay within the mfg. OCI's...With that in mind...chance 15K OCI's only if you dare!

... anyone wanting to CHANCE voiding a new car warrenty just for the sake of extended OCI's, well, proceed at your own risk!

This topic has been beaten to death on this board over the years. Extended OCIs cannot void your entire warranty. If in fact you had some type of engine lubrication related issue and a dealer service department deemed it due to lack of oil changes, you'd have a problem getting that specific issue covered under warranty. Have you ever heard of a 'car person' having an engine failure due to running expensive synthetic oil and extending their OCI's? I think not.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
... anyone wanting to CHANCE voiding a new car warrenty just for the sake of extended OCI's, well, proceed at your own risk!

This topic has been beaten to death on this board over the years. Extended OCIs cannot void your entire warranty. If in fact you had some type of engine lubrication related issue and a dealer service department deemed it due to lack of oil changes, you'd have a problem getting that specific issue covered under warranty. Have you ever heard of a 'car person' having an engine failure due to running expensive synthetic oil and extending their OCI's? I think not.

Joel

By your own words...at your own risk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back