Better keep those wifi logs for 2 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a little tired of everyone but the parents being saddled with the responsibility of raising people's children.

If you don't want your child to be a victim of some internet scum-bag, teach them how to avoid it (I know it can be done...my nephew has been online since he was 10 and he's NEVER had an issue), and if they just simply can't be taught, then just keep them off the computer altogether.

Here goes the government again, attacking a problem from the wrong end.

WHERE'S THE ACCOUNTABILITY? This takes me right back to issuing licenses to pro-create. If it's a job that you just can't handle on your own, use condoms and get a cat.

This isn't about the kids. This is about the govt spying on everyone. say no to big brother!

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I'm getting a little tired of everyone but the parents being saddled with the responsibility of raising people's children.

If you don't want your child to be a victim of some internet scum-bag, teach them how to avoid it (I know it can be done...my nephew has been online since he was 10 and he's NEVER had an issue), and if they just simply can't be taught, then just keep them off the computer altogether.

WHERE'S THE ACCOUNTABILITY? This takes me right back to issuing licenses to pro-create. If it's a job that you just can't handle on your own, use condoms and get a cat.

+1

Last edited:
There is no freaking way we can keep a log for 2 years, and they know it. I can honestly say it does nothing because such a large log will be impossible to use, let alone store.

The true reason behind all this is to stimulate sales of network and storage equipments. Someone is lobbying hard behind all these junk bills. Want to protect the kids? Put up tougher laws and sponsor self defense classes for kids since elementary school, or better yet make this the main subject of the PE classes.

"Internet Stopping Adults Facilitating the Exploitation of Today's Youth Act"

It almost sounds like something from an Onion news article, but it's real. Lord help us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
There is no freaking way we can keep a log for 2 years, and they know it. I can honestly say it does nothing because such a large log will be impossible to use, let alone store.

You could do it, but you'd need a syslog server. I keep the DHCP logs on my Linux server for 6 months. It'd be pretty easy to keep them for two years. The logfile for each day is compressed and stored in a separate file.

This, however, is an excessive burden for most users, who probably don't have any way of saving or storing those logs.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

+100
thumbsup2.gif

I read it more as ISPs and cellphone compnaies lobbying/scaring people into closing their open wifi hot spots... so they can increase revenue.

Incidentally because wifi is a radio service which escapes borders, I thought the FCC handled it...

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The true reason behind all this is to stimulate sales of network and storage equipments. Someone is lobbying hard behind all these junk bills. Want to protect the kids? Put up tougher laws and sponsor self defense classes for kids since elementary school, or better yet make this the main subject of the PE classes.

Good idea about self defense classes for kids, or as a PE class.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back