Why Rotate Your Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
What does Audi [snip] recommend?

That's from the Audi manual for a '96 quattro:
tires.jpg

I've NEVER had an uneven wear problem except the TRZs. That is about 1:20 ratio, but I'm doing something wrong. I reinstalled the all-seasons today in the exact position they came off. 8/32nd on front and less on the rear, all perfektly flat. What exactly would I gain if I "rotated" them?

I'm driving 2 Hondas, btw. Also I am "touchy" when a member who's spent plenty of time behaving normally and politely on many other threads takes a swipe, essentially at the whole board, by attempting to belittle them. Silly me.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I've NEVER had an uneven wear problem except the TRZs.

Obviously you don't drive curves fast enough.
grin2.gif

Quote:
Also I am "touchy" when a member who's spent plenty of time behaving normally and politely on many other threads takes a swipe, essentially at the whole board, by attempting to belittle them. Silly me.

Is that directed at me? I don't think I ever insult more than 75% of the board at the same time.

I can't rotate the tires on my Corvette, as it uses 245-45-17s up front and 275-40-18s on the back. When I buy new tires, I only buy two at a time, every fall just before the first snowstorm hits I buy a new pair. Last year it was the front tires and this year it'll be the back tires. I could probably stretch it out longer (replacing a set every 3 years instead of 2) but I like to make sure I've got a lot of tread on the tires for winter driving (can't afford snow tires, they are major $$$ and I've also got nowhere to store a set of 4 large wheels/tires either)

I rotate all vehicles every 5000 with OCI. This has extended tire life about 15% on average and they all wear out at the same time. Then on the new vehicles I buy 3 and use the new spare and keep the best tire for the spare. I average about 35,000 out of most sets. I replace the tires when 85% of the tread is gone as I have 3 female drivers now and don't want any flat tire incedents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: The Critic

However, why wouldn't it make sense to have your BEST tires in the rear at all times? I understand that certain parts of the tire will wear faster, hence the recommendation (I've been told) to rotate from side-to-side only on certain tires.

I'm almost thinking you're advocating creating a set where there are "better" and "worse" tires within the set. Why not keep all the tires equally good?

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

What I meant is that, when we replace two tires, tire manufacturers advocate installing the new tires or the "best" tires on the rear axle. Clearly, there are advantages to this practice as illustrated by the many studies and reviews.

In that case, why isn't it a good practice to always have your best tires on the rear axle? Does that make my question clearer?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

What I meant is that, when we replace two tires, tire manufacturers advocate installing the new tires or the "best" tires on the rear axle. Clearly, there are advantages to this practice as illustrated by the many studies and reviews.

In that case, why isn't it a good practice to always have your best tires on the rear axle? Does that make my question clearer?

No, it doesn't make it clearer.

The whole point behind "best on the rear" is to deal with a situation where there are tires with less grip potential. The point is that you want to avoid the car spinning out.

But it doesn't make sense to CREATE the situation where you have differences in grip.

Originally Posted By: PT1
{snip} I replace the tires when 85% of the tread is gone as I have 3 female drivers now and don't want any flat tire incedents.

That's less than 2/32" in most cases.

In most cars the fronts wear faster, so if you adhere to "best in the rear" it would mean NEVER rotating. Which would contradict most tire manufactures and vehicle owners manual recommendation. Not saying there isn't some validity to the concept, but it just doesn't seem to make much sense if your trying to get max life out of your rubber. Would sell a lot of tires though?

My stock Potenza's wore out on my Yaris like this:

front
4/32 5/32
5/32 7/32
rear

As always, YMMV. Keep in mind I do mild hypermiling.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
In most cars the fronts wear faster, so if you adhere to "best in the rear" it would mean NEVER rotating.

how so? the rears are btter untril the fronts wear out. then you put new tyres on the back, and move partially worn ex-rear tyres to the front... the best tread is still on the back...

I don't rotate, just replace tires. It's true you will get uneven wear, but I got 80k miles on Goodyear viva tires that are rated 80k. the fronts are starting to get bald. the rears still have some tread left. but I'll just replace all 4 at once. I figure I saved money, time, and no one touching the car and messing up wheel studs, lug nuts, rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back