GC vs. Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Edge being marketed as the premium full synthetic Castrol for extended change intervals, how does it compare with GC?

I haven't seen it yet at AZ, AA, or WalMart (All mentioned in where to buy on the Castrol Edge website), but I did see it online for nearly $14.00 a quart. Thats almost 2X as expensive as GC. Could it truly be that good, or is Castrol pulling a fast one here?

First apparent difference is the cSt 100ºC of 9.8 for the Edge 5W or 10W30, while GC is 12.1. You could probably use Edge for a 5W20 spec'd replacement as it will be at a 20W before long. So I wouldn't pay premium prices for it, at least as compared to the Syntec.
Mike

Good point. I'm using GC 0W30 now in my BMW and see no reason to switch unless GC becomes hard to find and Edge shows similar or better qualities. I need to use something that is full synthetic, high temp shear stable, and meets BMW extended drain requirements. Until Edge showed up, I was assuming GC was the best Castrol you could get for those parameters.

Last edited:
The Edge 5w-30 / 10w-30 are both ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5 with a HTHS of between 2.9 - 3.5 so they wouldn't meet the BMW LL-01 spec.

GC is ACEA A3/B3 with a HTHS > 3.5 plus a Vis of 12.1 Cst @100C

Car Parts store have Edge at around $ 8-9.00 a Qt. You can buy a jug of it at Walmart for $ 34.00 (7.00 a Qt)

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
German Castrol is sold in Europe as Castrol Edge 0W-30. Some are produced in Germany, and others in the UK from what I have seen.

After looking at the safety data sheets for Edge 0W30 and GC, I drew the same conclusions. These two formulas share identical base oil composition. However, it's not possible to conclude anything about TBN and additives from this data.

In the EU, they also market Edge 0W30 Turbo Diesel which is an entirely different formula. Do you know anything about this stuff?

FWIW: Castrol has stated Edge is the best oil made by them to date. I am not sure if that in the Americas or world though. . .

From a european point of view, including std 15000mi oci and the more specific acea classification: If my car's spec meet the acea spec of an Castrol Edge spec, that's the oil I would use... IF I really needed the extra margin and cost was no subject.
The "oracle" status of German(!) Castrol is odd. Or is it the money-green-color???

Originally Posted By: KA426
I paid $7.99+tx per quart for Castrol Edge at A.A.P. I haven't seen it at Wal Mart.

I saw it at a Walmart in nw NJ for $7.47/quart, for a 5 quart container it was $34. This was for 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I saw it at a Walmart in nw NJ for $7.47/quart, for a 5 quart container it was $34. This was for 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Whimsey

I've seen it in a Wally-World in Ohio as well...

Below is an abstract from an old SAE paper. It is fairly representative of several other papers. Given the observations below and elsewhere, why would A3 always be better than A1?

Influence of Engine Oil Viscosity on Piston Ring and Cam Face Wear

Document Number: 932782

Date Published: October 1993

Author(s):
Toshihide Ohmori - Toyota Central R&D Labs., Inc.
Mamoru Tohyama - Toyota Central R&D Labs., Inc.
Masago Yamamoto - Toyota Central R&D Labs., Inc.
Kenyu Akiyama - Toyota Motor Corp.
Kazuyuoshi Tasaka - Toyota Motor Corp.
Tomio Yoshihara - Lubrizol Japan Ltd.

Abstract:
The influence of engine oil viscosity on the wear of piston rings and cam faces has been investigated by fired engine tests using a radioisotope (RI) tracer technique. High-temperature and high-shear-rate (HTHS; 150\mDC, 10\u6s\u-\u1) viscosities of the experimental oils prepared are 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 and 3.1 mPa\mks. At an oil temperature of 90\mDC, the wear of piston rings and cam faces did not increase, even if the HTHS viscosity was lowered down to 2.2 mPa\mks. However, both piston rings and cam faces exhibited an increase in wear below 2.4 mPa\mks at 130\mDC. It was also recognized that valve train wear did not significantly increase with reducing viscosity in the motored engine tests at a temperature of 50\mDC. From these test results, it was suggested that the oil with the HTHS viscosity of 2.6 mPa\mks sufficiently demonstrates the anti-wear performance equivalent to that with around 3.0 mPa\mks for application to piston rings and cam faces.

Edge 5w30:

VW 504.00 / 507.00
MB 229.51
BMW LL04 (ej för BMW bensinmotorer utanför EU)
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back