Entry level gigabit switches for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.

I can't find any of the ASUS ones. That SMC looks good. And I also found this 3Com one that can be found on eBay for around $100. But I don't need one just yet, so I'll wait around a few months... maybe the prices will drop some more.

The price on this stuff is always heading one way. Down. Don't buy something now if you don't need it. It will be cheaper and likely perform better later (as firmware improves).

If you only have one GB capable NIC, you will get no benefit from a wired GB switch. A 10/100 router w/switch is plenty fast for accessing the highest speed internet providers and workgrouping a couple of wired/wireless devices. The now-classic Linksys WRT54 series is a favorite for this level of activity.

As I recall, I'm getting 300mbps out of my Linux file server. It's not gigabit but it's still 3 times the speed of 100 megabit.

I think PCI bus bandwidth plays a big role in how much speed you'll actually get, along with disk I/O speed. (The 300mbps is limited by the speed of the hard drives).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The 3COM looks nice. I would keep my eye on it.

Ended up getting that 3Com from Ebay for $60 including shipping.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The 3COM looks nice. I would keep my eye on it.

Ended up getting that 3Com from Ebay for $60 including shipping.

Fantastic!!!!

Overkill - since your sig says Network Engineer...

Have you had success with a low end gbit switch in an environment with mismatched bottleknecks?

For example, line rate capable machine-to-machine transfers, and a slow wan/internet link that causes backups for wan traffic.

A couple years ago I was working on data replication software on a storage array with a gbit ethernet link. When testing over our T1, I had it connected on generic cheap gbit switch (dlink, linksys, I forget).

It would dump packets when overloaded - which only took a fraction of a second in our configuration. The backoff algorithm on our other hardware didn't handle the dropped packets well. So it ran well for a fraction of a second, then stalled completely for several seconds. Then repeat.

I used a sniffer to confirm it was the switch dropping. When I hooked it up to a real switch it worked much better.

Since then I've assumed the cheap ones weren't worth messing with.

I'm repairing some hurricane damage and took the opportunity to wire my home for networking while the sheetrock was off the walls. Since I'm going to the trouble and expense of running cable, I though I'd look to replace my old 3Com SuperStackII 10/100. It's got a couple of dead ports, the fans are loud, it's a rackmount unit... I think it's about time.

So here's what I found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

Seems like a perfectly decent cheap switch and very well reviewed. $40 ain't bad either.

How does that one sound?

Buy.com had a Dlink 5 port that says it supports jumbo frames for $15.99 after $10 rebate. Buy.com

Probably would work for most home networks. They also have an 8 port for a little more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
So here's what I found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

Seems like a perfectly decent cheap switch and very well reviewed. $40 ain't bad either.

How does that one sound?

Personally, I think I'm done with Dlink equipment. My experience with them has been mixed at best, and their customer support is absolutely clueless, as I had a chance to find out recently when trying to troubleshoot a Dlink print server.

But given the great reviews on Newegg, I suppose that particular Dlink switch may be good.

I have that D-Link in my house wiring closet right now. I only have one computer hooked up to it and it gives me a full gigabit.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Even cheap switches support flow control these days.

Yup. That would have been some pretty old hardware......

Originally Posted By: Scott P
I have that D-Link in my house wiring closet right now. I only have one computer hooked up to it and it gives me a full gigabit.

Sure it does.

Show me a home computer running a gigabit NIC actually capable of gigabit speed, and then a home switch that will do the same.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I think he's going by what the connection details in Windows is telling him...

That's kinda what I was thinking as well.... No actual throughput testing done...

You have to remember that we are talking a home network here, not a business network with many users. I think the cheap ones will handle any file transfer or video stream that you will put on a home network.

I am looking at going to gigabit at home to connect PC with PS3 for audio/video streaming.

Originally Posted By: Scott P

Sure it does.

Show me a home computer running a gigabit NIC actually capable of gigabit speed, and then a home switch that will do the same.

Ours does. It takes a lot of work (and quality equipment) to make it happen. But the real secret is the infrastructure pull, connection termination and integrity. A single bend exceeding spec, or laying a run in the wrong location (too near a magnetic field or parallel to a mains line), or a sloppy termination is enough to blow it for the entire LAN. All the TCP tweaking in the world won't fix a sloppy punchdown. Even a shoddy patch jumper can muck it up. I pulled our wire myself (about 1500 feet total), as few contractors were careful enough to do it right with 5e (which was SOTA at that time). Cat 6 is slightly more forgiving, but nothing will survive a staple crush.

Honestly though, unless one is moving a very large video file across storage locations, a 10/100 is just as quick for most activities. Most folks "run" gigabit for bragging rights. But we are just future-proofing more around here, as I do not want to crawl through our split level's attics again anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back