The best dex 3 atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know what everyone thinks is the best dexron 3 fluid. Lets try to keep it to stuff that is readily available over the counter as well. If its not specifically a dex 3 fluid but meets the dex 3 requirements that is fine(Valvoline Mercon V for example). I wish I could add a poll.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brian12
Would like to know what everyone thinks is the best dexron 3 fluid. Lets try to keep it to stuff that is readily available over the counter as well. If its not specifically a dex 3 fluid but meets the dex 3 requirements that is fine(Valvoline Mercon V for example). I wish I could add a poll.

How would you know that such a fluid did meet the former DEXRON-III requirements? I'm not trying to be a smart arse but just pointing out that there really is no way of knowing.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

How would you know that such a fluid did meet the former DEXRON-III requirements? I'm not trying to be a smart arse but just pointing out that there really is no way of knowing.

That is true but I'm asking for people's personal experiences. What they've used that worked best for them.

If you really NEED a DEXRON-III type fluid then your best bet is to try to get some of the Petro-Canada RDL-2746.

If you really NEED a DEXRON-III type fluid then your best bet is to try to get some of the Petro-Canada RDL-2746.

Is that what GM calls manual transmission fluid now?

Is that what GM calls manual transmission fluid now?

That's complicated because there are a number of MTFs in the system. I think the fluid is called MTF or T-Case Fluid.

I have used RoyalPurple MaxATF in Dex III vehicles with excellent results. Not cheap but readily available over the counter and an excellent atf. Hard to find an actual Dex III these days but any of the universal/multi use fluids that list it will be fine whether they are conventional or synthetic. A company is NOT going to say their fluid will work in a certain tranny if it won't. Just not happening in our sue happy society.

Last edited:
Is used M1 back when it only said "Dexron III/Mercon" and I got excellent results. The newest M1 is still fine to use in a Dexron III/Mercon system, however, they are advertising that it goes almost anywhere. I'm sure it is still a great product.

Allison transmissions that were attached to Duramax engines stated that Dex III was okay if changed frequently. HOWEVER, there was a fluid standard they created called TES-295 which extended OCIs for the transmission and extended the life of it. Putting it in an ordinary DexIII transmission is perfectly okay.

Now.... What stores have Castrol TranSynd on the shelves? NAPA, CarQuest, Pep Boys, Autozone, and Advance don't have it on the shelves, but other guys might. Maybe the Florida Panhandle has stores not found in southern and central Florida?

In any case, M1 ATF is priced between $6.50-$8 everyday at most stores, and it is usually in stock.

The fluid formerly known as Dexron-III(H) is presently know as Allison TES-389. That is conventional dino base. Allison TES-295, trade name Transynd, is synthetic and had the Dexron-III license. You can buy it by the gallon from a truck repair shop or Allison transmission shop and have them fill your gallon jugs from their drums.

What is best? How would any of us know? Any of the top brands give excellent long service...Amsoil, Schaeffer, Mobil 1, etc., etc.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Allison TES-295, trade name Transynd, is synthetic and had the Dexron-III license.

It had a DEXRON-III(G) license but didn't make the cut for the (H) upgrade.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What about the (H) upgrade caused it to fail?

I'm sorry that I missed your question.

As I understand it, it never actually tried to get through a full program because initial test results indicated that reformulation would be required. Seals were a problem apparently but it's interesting, though not surprising, that DEXRON-VI fluids tend to be (at least from the results that I have seen) a little better on oxidation performance and also 'better' on friction characteristic and friction durability than TranSynd. Now you do have to remember that TranSynd was not designed for a car application. It's a commercial vehicle fluid and it appears that it functions very well for that particular application but some of the needs for those different applications are not always quite the same.

For most peoples' purposes, I don't think you'll be able to determine the "best" DexIII. Even with good quantifiable information (that is sometimes hard to come by), it's still gonna be debatable.

I think that among a list of top contenders (Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Transynd, DexVI, etc.), you'd might as well shop based on price & availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back