The A4 got new shoes today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yokohama S.drive, 205/55/16 W

My first impression is that they handle very similar to the well-balanced Conti Sport Contact, which was my tire of choice for the past 6 or 7 years. The Yokos run much quieter, but of course the still have all their tread. The steering is precise and crisp and I don't notice much tread squirm. There's also no issue with tramlining, which is one of my main fears when switching to different tires. I'll have to toss the car around some curves on a curvy county road and find out more. I've driven on dry roads only so far. Unlike the Contis, the Yokos have a very nice thick rim protector bed. So far so good!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What'd you do with your wheels ?

I gave them a good scrubbing and decided they looked still good enough. The worst looking wheel became the spare.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Aluminum rims? Are you going to re-torque the lug nuts?

There are no lug nuts, but only wheel bolts. I always torque them after the first 6o miles.

yoko1.jpg

I can't yet tell how they wear compared to the Contis, but I have had a chance to test the S.drives on my car on wet and dry surfaces. Dry surface grip is a smidgen less compared to the Conti Sport Contact (also 205/55/16 W) while wet grip appears identical by the seat of my pants. The Yokos handle better than the Contis and are much quieter. For a sub-$100 tire, I can recommend the S.drive based on those impressions alone. It's also useful that they come with a rim protector bead. A wear report will follow as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back